Welcome to The Cat Site
your cat community
Interact with our community

Transport and donations needed for the Animal Care Center of St. John (USVI)

Discussion in 'Shelter & Rescue News' started by stephenq, Mar 23, 2016.

1. stephenq

stephenq Thread Starter TCS Member Veteran

Jun 19, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    I was recently lucky to be vacationing on the island of St. John in the US virgin islands and did some volunteering at this great (and the only) shelter on the island.  One of the major ways they help dogs and cats is by transporting them up to no-kill shelters in the states.  At the end of our trip, we adopted a very sweet 10 year old deaf cat that couldn't get a home, named Marbles. If you or if you know anyone who is going to either St. Thomas or St. John for a vacation and you would be willing to help take an animal back to either NY or Boston, please contact the ACC of St. John.  Ryan is the manager, a great guy, they are a small operation with many responsibilities. They also happily take much needed donations.  As a US territory and not a state, they are pretty much ignore by orgs that provide grants.

They handle all the arrangements, pay for everything and will have someone meet you at the other end at the airport.  All you have to do is (if its a big dog) give the dog to the airlines in a provided crate, or if small enough to go under the seat take the cat or small dog through security and onto the plane.

https://www.facebook.com/StJohnAnimalCareCenter/

and

http://www.stjohnanimalcarecenter.com/

Our new girl!

2. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    That's sad that they are ignored for grants. How awesome that you volunteered for them while you were there. I can't say that I'm surprised about that though. 

Marbles is adorable and so lucky to be with you now. I hope that she has many happy, healthy years with you. She looks tiny in the picture. Is she? [​IMG]

3. stephenq

Jun 19, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    She's happy and about 8.5 pounds!  She has a fat stomach actually ! :)

4. Kat0121

Kat0121 Advisor Staff Member Advisor

Feb 23, 2014
    Sunny Florida
    She has a very sweet face. She looks petite in the picture. 8.5 pounds is a good size. 

stephenq purraised this.

5. Mamanyt1953

Mamanyt1953 Rules my home with an iron paw Staff Member Forum Helper

Oct 16, 2015
    Havelock, North Carolina
    I followed the FB link, and liked the page.  I'm a member of a whole bunch of transport organizations, some with planes available occasionally.  They will see this, and if possible, help.

stephenq purraised this.

6. feralvr

feralvr TCS Member Veteran

Dec 30, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    sigh - I wish that could change about the Islands not being on the list for grants and funding. I am not the least bit surprised by your generous time to volunteer and help at the St. John shelter. AND - :lol3:, not surprised you came home with a new furry baby. She is just beautiful, and needed you so. A new life filled with great love will surely be more than she could have ever hoped. One lucky little girl - though, I bet this feeling of luck goes both ways. :heart3:

I will pass along this information on the St. John shelter to other's. The shelter really goes the mile to help potential adopter's with costs of shipping/travel. Amazing.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    stephenq purraised this.

7. kat hamlin

kat hamlin "RESCUE" is my favorite breed Adult Cat

Jun 25, 2015
    Midwest
    How cool!  Our rescue group has also gotten some animals, I believe from the same group.  We get puppies from them.

8. stephenq

Jun 19, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    OMG that's so cool, what group??

9. Draco

Draco NOT Malfoy! Veteran

Apr 26, 2011
    LawnGuyLand, NY
    I wish I had known about this when I went to St. Thomas last year.. I would've done this and deliver to you.

stephenq purraised this.

10. stephenq

Jun 19, 2003
    East Coast, USA
    I think they mostly publicise it on St. John.  But if you go again you can contact them!  And you can always stay on St. John, its almost all national park, very quiet, lots of  beaches, some have few if any people on them.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016