Transitioning to more than one new food

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Freya, almost 9 months old, is growing up and getting tired of the wet food (intended for kittens aged 1 to 12 months) she's been on in the last 5 months.
She is hardly eating it since Thursday, and today she didn't touch her dinner... It's very hot here, around 88 degrees, so this might be one of the reasons, but she's still eating her kibbles, so clearly she is disliking this wet food.

I planned to transition to some new food (for adult cats) next month. Anyway, this new food, monoproteic, comes in three variants (the ones I have here), and I wonder if there's a way to transition from kitten food to the three adult foods in a single step.

For Giada, the transition was from kitten food to home cooked food, then, two months later, to a monoproteic one, and again I slowly introduced two more monoproteic foods in two separate transitions. It took months, but she was the only cat in the house.
Now it might be hard to do the same thing with Freya.

Any idea?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
does Freya have a sensitive stomach? With wet food, you don't normally need to be as cautious transitioning to new foods as you do with dry food unless the cat has a sensitive stomach. I would just introduce her to all the new foods at once. I'm guessing they are manufactured by the same brand? So the only real difference in them is going to be the main protein? Are you feeding her different flavor wet kitten food now? If so, then i really don't see any issue with letting her try all three once you switch over from the kitten food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
does Freya have a sensitive stomach? With wet food, you don't normally need to be as cautious transitioning to new foods as you do with dry food unless the cat has a sensitive stomach. I would just introduce her to all the new foods at once. I'm guessing they are manufactured by the same brand? So the only real difference in them is going to be the main protein? Are you feeding her different flavor wet kitten food now? If so, then i really don't see any issue with letting her try all three once you switch over from the kitten food.
It doesn't seem she has a sensitive stomach. As a matter of fact, I have caught her eating just anything and she has never showed any issues later, but they were always tiny amounts of inappropriate food. Nonetheless I would like to do things right and transition her to her new diet, even if the transition lasts a very few days.
With Giada I did the transitions over 10 days, but she seemed to have a sensitive stomach, that was the reason why we switched to the home cooked diet.

The current wet food and the new food I would like to introduce her to are from different brands. But the three proteins I would like her to eat from now on are from the same brand (an Italian premium brand).
The current wet kitten food is only one flavor, turkey, chunks in gravy.
The new food is Trout, White Fish or Chicken, paté

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'd try one of them, and if she has no issues, then I'd give her a different one and see how she does. I never did any type of transition between wet foods for any of my four cats and never had any issues with diarrhea or vomiting.