Transitioning To Fewer Feedings?

Amster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any experience with transitioning to fewer feedings a day. Right now both of my cats are being fed 3 times a day which works just fine for me (and them) because I'm home but our sitter may only be able to come twice a day and if that's the case I'd rather not just have them thrown into a new routine. They're both being fed canned food, kattovit gastro for Oscar who has chronic pancreatitis and fancy feast classic for Sausage who's just a picky eater lol.

I'm also wondering if those of you who use a fountain are able to tell if it's being used? I just got one recently and neither seem all that interested, I started out with it unplugged next to their usual dish, gradually phased out the bowl, and now it's plugged in but I can't tell if it's being used. I do add water to their food to make sure they're getting a little extra but I'm not sure if it's enough. Thanks for any input!!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats only get fed once a day and they do ok. And i've left for a few days before and they just had dry food out and they were fine, so I don't think it will be a big deal.

I don't know if you can tell if it's being used whether its a fountain of bowl. I assume the water evaporates more than they drink it, so there's no way to measure it unless you see them using it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't know on the fountain either, but will tell you that I add extra water to my cats' wet food, and I seldom see them at their water bowls. I would say once in a blue moon is when I see them drinking :lol:. When I fed dry food, I would see them at the water bowls often :wink:

As far as feeding twice a day vs three times a day, I also feed 3 times a day, most days, but sometimes I'm just not home for the mid day meal. They survive. If you want to transition them permanently, them I would just slowly begin giving them less during the midday meal and increasing the amount of the other two meals until voila...no more lunch.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the sitter coming a "more or less" permanent change in your schedule? Or just now and then if you need to go out of town?

If it's going to be an on-going daily change, then I'd start feeding them closer to the times that the pet sitter will be there, and feed smaller and smaller 3rd meals to phase one meal out.

If the pet sitter is only going to be an occasional change, then I would keep feeding 3x a day like you've been doing. More meals per day is preferable to fewer meals, but not mandatory. They can adjust to 2 meals a day now and then...or more ongoing.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Get an auto feeder for the 3rd meal. Cats do much better eating smaller meals more often rather than two large meals. In the wild they eat smaller meals more frequently.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My only concern lowering feeding on the pet with pancreatitis. The vet told us it's better to have more meals. Maybe ask the vet and confirm.