Transitioning To Another Protein They Initially Ignore--share Your Tips!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi all.

After thinking my cat was allergic to something in Nutro, he's getting the same swell in his mouth from non-Nutro food. I want to try beef, but both my cats hate it. I tried several times, and they won't touch the food even if it's lightly mixed in with chicken.

Do you mind sharing the stories of how you made your cats like a new protein? What are your techniques and secrets?

Thanks!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Oliver had a tummy bug and the vet put him on Hills digestive care wet food. He was used to Felix so he turned his nose up at the Hills. It's hard because we love them and get worried if they won't eat but I persevered for his own good and he eventually started eating it and seemed to enjoy it although not as much as the Felix. It's just got to be tough love but it's based on the principle that they won't starve themselves and will eat what is there, it just may take a while until they grasp that there's no alternative.
He did lose a few pounds during this episode and that worried me but he's settling down now.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Not all cats like beef (or other red meats for that matter). My old boys absolutely hated it in any form. What proteins have you tried so far, and what proteins is he allergic/reactive to?

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have not found a way to get my cats to eat anything they don't like :( Toppers of freeze dried chicken breast will sometimes help, but not much. If they are hungry they do better, but even then just a bite or two. They just play bury it and walk away. fancy feast beef, the classic, they will often eat. Weruva truluxe steak frites. and the Merrick backcountry morsels if i mash the large pieces with a fork so that its more minced. Maybe pick up a few different brands and see if he likes one or two? I often wander around the store and pick up a bunch of different brands, 1 or 2 cans, when im trying to bring in a new food. But i do often throw a lot of food out to the opossum that comes by each night.

Merlin77

Warrior of SandClan
Super Cat
Purraise
Raw chicken liver, slightly warmed up, is irresistible. One of my cats once stole three livers and ate them all. I only recommend one at a time, however. Unless your cats are allergic to chicken livers as well. Have you tried pork or sheep/lamb? I also know there's a brand called Koha that has kangaroo and guinea fowl (I think) flavours.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you trying beef because Rawz carries it? You might want to try something else like Rabbit or Venison. Nature’s Variety and Ziwipeak both have solid LID foods.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really like Rawz, and they do too :( that is indeed why I was trying beef.

I’ve only tried chicken and turkey so far. I’d like to try another protein in order to avoid poultry, just in case he ends up reacting to turkey and duck as well.

He gets a swollen/red mouth it seems after eating the same food for a while. The reaction isn't immediate. They eat three foods that are all chicken: Tiki cat after dark, Rawz wet and Rwaz dry. He now seems to get swollen after eating Rawz wet, but not with the others who are also chicken-based... And the Tiki cats is actual chicken parts...

I tried going "cold turkey" by leaving out food they didn't want, but it doesn't work. Even if I put the slightest amount of beef in they seem to hate it. I tried it with hot water, powdered milk... nada!

Is it okay if there's pea in Nature's Variety? I thought we had to avoid veggies as well!

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the feeling that Nature's Variety LID line is discontinued.

himawari

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh no! Poor thing!

The peas in Nature's Variety is practically an entire pea so you can easily identify it and take it out which is what I do when I feed that brand. Like Neo_23 Neo_23 , I recommend Ziwi Peak which has Lamb, Lamb & Rabbit, Venison, Lamb & Mackerel. Feline Natural has Beef & Hoki, Chicken & Lamb, Chicken & Venison, and Lamb & Salmon if you want to see how they'd react to lamb & venison before fully transitioning them to that if you want.

Whenever I transitioned my cat to a new protein or when he went to a raw diet, I used the new food as treats throughout the day fed by hand/finger so he knows that it's safe to actually eat (practically gave it to him every two-four hours). I did that for about a week before giving him full, small meals. It helped him identify it as food & also ease up on his digestive system. And it helped me to know which proteins he doesn't really love (which would be lamb) so I only give that to him occasionally. I have a friend who mixes new & old proteins in one meal then side by side in a plate before just doing the new protein.

Yanaka Yanaka I just bought a few NV Rabbit LID. The shopkeeper told me they are just repackaging it / possible reformulation.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'd like to avoid lamb. I just can't feed that. If possible, I'd like to avoid rabbit as well :( We'll see what I can get!

Budget-wise, I think it would actually be good to change from Rawz. I realized that I spend more than $200/mo just on their cans. That is unreasonable!

Do you think they will keep the LID formula?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why not Ziwipeak venison air dried? It has no peas and I actually think it has better ingredients than the wet version. It’s only 4% carb and you can add water to it too if you’re worried about moisture (just don’t leave it sitting out too long if you add water).

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, it's pretty expensive to feed two still voracious young cats with freeze-dried food?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I remember correctly, it's pretty expensive to feed two still voracious young cats with freeze-dried food?
Ziwipeak is not too badly priced. It's cheaper than most freeze dried foods and calorically dense so you don't have to feed too much. It's not freeze dried -- it's air dried, so it's not considered really "raw."

Ziwipeak cans are very pricey though.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What happens when you need to leave and a cat sitter takes care of your cat? Isn't it complicated for them to figure out how to feed the cat?

Do you think "raw" is more appetizing than cans?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What happens when you need to leave and a cat sitter takes care of your cat? Isn't it complicated for them to figure out how to feed the cat?

Do you think "raw" is more appetizing than cans?
I'm not sure what you mean. The Ziwipeak air dried is basically like dry food, you don't need to add water to it. You can though if you are worried about your cat not getting enough water.

It depends on the cat, the protein, the brand. Every cat is different. My cat likes the ziwipeak venison and I'm trying to transition him to it slowly so he can have it with his Rawz cans. I'll probably add water to it when I serve to keep him well hydrated, but babysitters don't have to add water, they can just serve it like dry food.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I spent about a year trying to transition Saipha, my kibble addict, to wet food. Some strategies I found helpful:

- Warm up food slightly so it smells stronger
- Give new food when they're hungry
- Cover with toppers of their favorite treats crushed up or a little egg yolk
- Bury treats in the new food with a little bit sticking up so they have to nose around and eat some of the new food to get at it
- Hand feed little bits

End result after one year: Saipha reluctantly ate very specific flavors and textures of Friskies and Fancy Feast wet food and refused to touch anything else. Then I tried raw food with her, and she ate it like I'd been depriving her of proper food all her life. So now I feed raw food, just so I don't have to deal with Saipha's pickiness.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay. I didn't know you could feed those dry, I thought you had to moisten them like Rad Cat. But so they say the cat should eat 2.2oz, and their bags are 14oz. Salmon would then finish one bag of $25 in 6 sittings. And I have two cats. That's crazy! It's way too much!!

Yes I guess I will try that--gradual hand feedings when they're hungry? I hadn't thought of it.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. I didn't know you could feed those dry, I thought you had to moisten them like Rad Cat.

But so they say the cat should eat 2.2oz, and their bags are 14oz. Salmon would then finish one bag of $25 in 6 sittings. That's crazy! It's way too much!!
Rad Cat actually doesn't need to be moistened. It's frozen raw food so it just needs to be defrosted in the fridge before served.

Yes, if you feed only air dried Ziwipeak it is expensive, but I am planning on integrating it. I won't be feeding it on its own. My cat is currently eating 2 cans of Rawz per day and if I replace one of those cans with Ziwipeak it will be the same price.

Yanaka

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
2 cans a day? How old is he now? I feel like mine used to eat that much but have slowed down, lately.

I was at my local pet store and they didn’t have anything I liked (Nature’s Variety is indeed repackaging and Dr Elsey’s is only on Chewy). But after half an hour of frustration, she found out she had a Primal rabbit bag from someone who never picked it up!!! Let’s try raw, baby. I’m curious to see if they will be interested haha.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
2 cans a day? How old is he now? I feel like mine used to eat that much but have slowed down, lately.

I was at my local pet store and they didn’t have anything I liked (Nature’s Variety is indeed repackaging and Dr Elsey’s is only on Chewy). But after half an hour of frustration, she found out she had a Primal rabbit bag from someone who never picked it up!!! Let’s try raw, baby. I’m curious to see if they will be interested haha.
He’s 9 months — he was eating 2 and a half cans a couple months ago. He weighs 13 pounds. :updown:

Good luck with the raw!