Transitioning Cat Only Eats New Food

newkittenmama24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So this is a weird situation. I have a 1 year and 4 month old cat. I transitioned her from fancy feast kitten food to tiki cat after dark pate food when she turned 1. I wanted a high quality food for her, and I found really good reviews about tiki cat. However, for the past 4 months, she has been really finicky with it. She likes it sometimes and really dislikes it others. So I finally gave up and have decided to try transitioning her to Purina Beyond. The problem is she now ONLY eats the purina food. She won’t even touch the tiki cat food on her plate. Which is fine, I’m glad it’ll be a smooth transition. I just worry about her getting diarrhea from it or throwing up. How can I prevent this? Is there anything I can do? Should I just let her eat the new food and not worry about the transition process? Thank you for any advice you might have!

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
graycie never had any issues with swapping wet food dry food i have always done a gradual swap i guess you could mix in some of the new with the old or feed her small sample portions and see how her poop is after hope this helps good luck:)

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So this is a weird situation. I have a 1 year and 4 month old cat. I transitioned her from fancy feast kitten food to tiki cat after dark pate food when she turned 1. I wanted a high quality food for her, and I found really good reviews about tiki cat. However, for the past 4 months, she has been really finicky with it. She likes it sometimes and really dislikes it others. So I finally gave up and have decided to try transitioning her to Purina Beyond. The problem is she now ONLY eats the purina food. She won’t even touch the tiki cat food on her plate. Which is fine, I’m glad it’ll be a smooth transition. I just worry about her getting diarrhea from it or throwing up. How can I prevent this? Is there anything I can do? Should I just let her eat the new food and not worry about the transition process? Thank you for any advice you might have!
My cat is the same way with tiki.she now gets a different protein every day from different brands
Dr elseys,rawz,tiki,0against the grain,American journey,hound and gatos,sheba, fancy feast
Turkey,lamb,beef,quail,duck, shrimp,chicken,sardines,

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The food my cat likes the most is fancy feast,sheba,Sheba,Purina beyond. The scent is stronger and some have fish or fish oil. She is more likely to eat tiki if it's heated some because of the stronger smell. I add freeze dried chicken to her food

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m having a problem with my newly adopted 4 year old. She apparently has chicken allergy so food is an issue. She’s been sort of diagnosed with IBS/IBD. Plus she is picky… usually refuses most new foods. Her proteins she seems to be able to eat are turkey, duck (sometimes) and fish. One day i offered a different Fancy Feast turkey that had a creamy gravy on it… surprisingly she gobbled up the whole can. About 36 hours later had diarrhea for 3 days. Just once a day thankfully. Finally got her on a boiled turkey and sweet potato diet that seemed to straighten her out. Put her back on regular food and a day later it started again so went back to the bland diet. She’s been good for at least a week, had a nice normal poop yesterday and was eating well. Yesterday I mixed a little bit of a new turkey food in with her usual food. She didn’t want to eat it, so I don’t think she got much at all. Woke up this morning to find 2 small vomit piles and a small pile of diarrhea and she will not eat anything, not even a treat. Obviously doesn’t feel well at all. Everything had been going so well! This drives me nuts. If you find anything you can do please let me know. I’ve had a lot of cats and I understand sometimes when something just doesn’t agree with them they won’t eat, but then things usually go back to normal pretty quickly. If she isn’t a little more interested in food by supper time tonight I’ll call the vet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Mrsty1203 Mrsty1203 , there might be some ingredient in the FF turkey/gravy that disagrees with her digestive tract and sometimes when a cat gets sick from eating something, they can reject it for a long while to come. The thing is if the FF was what caused the diarrhea, why would you want to try to get her to eat it again? The first several ingredients in FF Turkey Gravy Lovers (assuming that is what you fed her) are: Poultry Broth, Turkey, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Chicken, Corn Starch-Modified - so you can see it also contains chicken in some capacity.

You might look through this food chart (see below) to find some products without any chicken in them and see what happens. Have you tried various other proteins, such as venison, rabbit, or beef, for example?
Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients | TheCatSite

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have swapped food pretty much since I got Boone and Gracie. :lol: Never had any issues with tummy troubles (luckily). Surprising considering I never did the slow transition between one to the other. Guess they have iron tummies.

Mrsty1203

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Mrsty1203 Mrsty1203 , there might be some ingredient in the FF turkey/gravy that disagrees with her digestive tract and sometimes when a cat gets sick from eating something, they can reject it for a long while to come. The thing is if the FF was what caused the diarrhea, why would you want to try to get her to eat it again? The first several ingredients in FF Turkey Gravy Lovers (assuming that is what you fed her) are: Poultry Broth, Turkey, Liver, Wheat Gluten, Meat By-Products, Chicken, Corn Starch-Modified - so you can see it also contains chicken in some capacity.

You might look through this food chart (see below) to find some products without any chicken in them and see what happens. Have you tried various other proteins, such as venison, rabbit, or beef, for example?
Check This Out.... Chart For Cat Food Ingredients | TheCatSite
Yes, I’ve seen that… the problem is it’s one of the only foods she’ll eat. I’ve never wanted her to be on FF and tried all kinds of different proteins and higher quality foods. She will not eat them. The only one she sometimes eats is duck and fish. Will not eat venison, beef, lamb, pork. She’ll eat the FF gravy lovers turkey, FF Medley’s turkey which is basically the same, Applaws tuna and shrimp, FF Apeteezers Tuna or whitefish. I have no problem spending the money on good food but if she won’t eat it I can’t force her to. The minute I stir anything else into her regular food she walks away. I can’t tell you how much food I’ve thrown in the garbage.