Transitioning Cat From Wet To Dry Food

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I am a supporter of wet food diet, but I have to try an anallergenic dry diet for my cat. There is a strong suspicion that he has allergies (diarrhea, runny eyes, rodent ulcer). I also have to stop all supplements, such as lysine and fortiflora.
Do you think 5 days are enough to gradually change the food?
Should I mix kibbles with canned food or serve them separate, while transitioning?
Problem is, he (surprisingly) loves the new dry food. So after the first try, he refuses the canned food, which he used to love. Cats :stars:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Put dry and canned food into separate bowls. Wet dry food can quickly grow bacteria. A few pieces of dry food on top of canned is ok as long as you know your cat will eat it up right away.

5 days is usually enough for a food transition but go at your cat's pace. Some may need a little longer.

Is the hypoallergenic food available in a canned version? If it's a prescription food, then there's usually a canned version.

Stick with the hypoallergenic food for at least 13 weeks or so. That's how long it may take to see any improvements in the allergies.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
Just curious - why does the hypoallergenic food have to be dry?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's not hypoallergenic (which exist in dry and canned food, different brands) it's anallergenic, way more strict. Only royal canin dry food is available like that, at least here where I live.
I believe it's called hydrolized proteins adult dry food, in other countries.
Thank you! :)

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a thought. If it's a prescription hydrolyzed protein diet, Hill's makes one called ZD, it comes in a canned version as well as dry. It's a weird texture though, almost jelly like and a bit sticky.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just a thought. If it's a prescription hydrolyzed protein diet, Hill's makes one called ZD, it comes in a canned version as well as dry. It's a weird texture though, almost jelly like and a bit sticky.
You are right, but my vet told me that Hill's ZD matches royal canin hypoallergenic, and it's not as strict as the one he is eating right now. The veterinary dermatologist confirmed. I have no idea why, the only difference I've noticed it's the price :lol: this food is the most expensive in the whole shop!

Anyway, my cat really does love it, so at least it's not wasted money.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anyway, my cat really does love it, so at least it's not wasted money.
Well that's good.
If you're worried about moisture content, my cats love drinking from water fountain bowls.

Is this food going to just be temporary? As a way to eliminate all possible allergens and reset his system until the time comes to reintroduce other proteins? Just curious.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well that's good.
If you're worried about moisture content, my cats love drinking from water fountain bowls.

Is this food going to just be temporary? As a way to eliminate all possible allergens and reset his system until the time comes to reintroduce other proteins? Just curious.
Merlin drinks a lot. Actually we tought he had some problems, because he really likes to visit the water bowl 4-5 times a day. But all tests are fine, so I guess he's a drinker :stars:
Yes, that's exactly the plan: some weeks ( I believe at least 8) on the diet therapy and then we're gonna reintroduce other proteins! I really hope it works. Plan b would be endoscopy to rule out IBD...

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 3 with the new dry diet: perfect poop.
I can't believe it, he had diarrhea (or at least soft stools) for months and we tried 4 (good quality) canned foods.
How could it be? Isn't it too soon to see any change?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I doubt it is a coincidence. So, I am kind of guessing the new diet is 'doing the trick'!! Sure hope so anyway (despite the bite to your wallet).