Transition to wet food

Honorarykeeperofcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My plan is to take up the dry food then 6 hours later put down wet food. Is this a good plan?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Not necessarily. Some cats do not recognize canned food as cat food. Others go right to it and never look back. Mine all fell into the first category and I had to train them to eat wet food. Here is an article on how to do that. It was trial and error for me, doing it with four cats, but we did it! But just be aware, cats will not eat something just because they are hungry. They will almost starve themselves to death before eating if they don't want that specific food. And if they don't eat for too long, they can cause themselves harm to their livers, so make sure not to let that happen. I'm sure that is discussed in this article.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Honorarykeeperofcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not necessarily. Some cats do not recognize canned food as cat food. Others go right to it and never look back. Mine all fell into the first category and I had to train them to eat wet food. Here is an article on how to do that. It was trial and error for me, doing it with four cats, but we did it! But just be aware, cats will not eat something just because they are hungry. They will almost starve themselves to death before eating if they don't want that specific food. And if they don't eat for too long, they can cause themselves harm to their livers, so make sure not to let that happen. I'm sure that is discussed in this article.

[/URL]
Ok I just put down a can of wet food and the cats did lick and nibble on it for a little bit but by no means ate it all

Honorarykeeperofcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I should note that both of these cats used to be fed exclusively canned but I’m not sure how much of a difference it makes

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok I just put down a can of wet food and the cats did lick and nibble on it for a little bit but by no means ate it all
give em time keep the dry food put away(for right now) they will probably go back for few more nibbles as they get more hungry keep in mind the heat and high temps then if they didnt finnish it you put the dry food out again and try again in the morning takes time you probably will end up tossing a few cans of canned until they accept one do try and offer variety/brands/meats texture etc. :lol:i raised graycie on wellness and it took a long time and many cases of canned gone to waste to finally get bher to eat more brands/meats good luck you can do it

Honorarykeeperofcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
give em time keep the dry food put away(for right now) they will probably go back for few more nibbles as they get more hungry keep in mind the heat and high temps then if they didnt finnish it you put the dry food out again and try again in the morning takes time you probably will end up tossing a few cans of canned until they accept one do try and offer variety/brands/meats texture etc. :lol:i raised graycie on wellness and it took a long time and many cases of canned gone to waste to finally get bher to eat more brands/meats good luck you can do it
They all ran up to me asking for food 3 hours after I put the first van down and picked it up. I put down some salmon pate and they both seem to like it. I will try doing 4 wet meals a day since they don’t eat very much at one time.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since they used to eat wet food, you have an ace in the hole! Just make sure they do eat enough not to get themselves sick.