Transition to high protein causing more shedding?

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel incredibly silly asking this, but y'all are super kind so I figure I'd ask anyway.
Do high-protein foods cause cats to "blow their coat" during the adjustment period?

For context: my 5 and 7 year old dsh are now eating a mix of Epigen and Instinct Ultimate Protein dry food (1/2 cup each a day) and about 2 oz of Weruva Chicken Frick a Zee each a day. The switch to Epigen/Instinct is about 2 weeks old. They are eating less the past few days, but I figured that was because it's so calorie dense.

I noticed almost immediately my girls were shedding more than normal and even though I expect some seasonal shedding this time of year (despite it being in the 80s for the past like month and a half), this time it's intense. Snap, my eldest, has a double coat so she normally can use a good brushing once a week. Grommet is a sleek tabby who sheds minimally. Both are shedding so much that I run my hand over them and it comes away furry. I have kitty tumbleweeds!
Is this a transition to better-for-them food, or is it just "This is the unholiest of shedding years."

Attachments

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No question is silly. I don't know how to answer, other than to check with the vet. (Mine always shed tumbleweeds too, when they arrive at his office.) So I know different things can cause shedding (such as anxiety, I suppose) and I am sorry that I can't answer your question. It's nice to meet you and makes me smile to hear someone else say "y'all." :blush: I'm in NC and wish I had a dollar for every time I said it.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It would seem odd that both would have an issue with over-shedding from the food based on an allergy theory. And, I personally have never heard of food causing excess shedding, if not based on allergies. If anything, it was my understanding the 'quality foods' are more inclined to help reduce shedding. It is possible that both are a bit 'stressed' over the food change - even if they seem to like it, it is still an adjustment. If you see them continue to reduce their overall food intake, there actually might be some reason they don't really like the new food. The other thing to consider is whether or not you did a gradual change in the food, or changed it all at once. An abrupt change might have caused a bit of stress as cats can be rather picky about change.

Overall, I would suspect the shedding is more related to a seasonal change, and perhaps this year is worse. I would just keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't seem to lessen as the season change is complete, then it might be time to look at other possible environmental issues. And, of course, if it ends up resulting in bald spots, that is a vet visit for certain.

Last edited:

Babypinkweeb

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Outside of medical issues or allergies, I notice my cat seems to have on and off in terms of shedding. This season so far, he has a week where he would shed so much, and I would brush a lot off. Then maybe later he would barely shed much at all.... and then later another week he'd randomly be shedding more again. He has a history of perfect health and not much changes in his life.

I also agree stress can cause it as well. This is personal anecdote but a few times I saw shelter cats brought home after adoption, the first few days they would shed quite a lot, even in homes where they were an only cat. It seems to greatly reduce over the course of a week or 2 as they start getting used to their home. This is just based on mine and some of my friends/family's experience when it comes to cat shedding.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Annieca2016

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone! Snap is still shedding quite a bit, but Grommet's has gone down significantly, so it was probably just seasonal.