Transition outdoor cat to use litter box

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone,
About a year ago a momma came to me with her 2 babies. She was the neighborhood stray, and everyone around the area loved and fed her. The neighbors ended up keeping her and I kept one of her kittens. They’ve spent the majority of the time outdoors, but I want to start keeping him indoors. This weekend we have a vet appointment for a check up. It is required prior to booking an appointment to have him neutered. I have bought him everything already: cat carrier, treats, food bowls, toys, catnip, scratching post, litter box and litter. I even moved furniture and modified an area just for him to eat. The issue I am having is that he won’t use the litter box. He would rather go and do his business outside. I have placed him in the box after his meals or when he wakes up but he jumps out. What can I do to better train him to use the box? I have also sprinkled catnip inside the litter box but it does not attract him to it either. How can I encourage him, a mostly outdoor cat, to use the litter box so that I can start keeping him indoors?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Does it have a top? Where is it located?
It is hooded, but I removed the top. I don’t think he was a fan of it the first time. I took it off but he still won’t use it. It’s located next to the door where he usually comes in/gets out. Do You think maybe it’s because he’s used to peeing/pooping outdoors? I mean he is about a year old, and has been doing his business outside since kittenhood.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes. And he finally pooped/peed in his box! But now he wont go unless we put him in there.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes. And he finally pooped/peed in his box! But now he wont go unless we put him in there.
Hi! :) Could you try mixing some dirt in with the litter, since he's used to using dirt? I think sometimes cats and their litter preferences goes by a lot, and familiar "foot feel" is one. If he's used to the scent and texture of dirt, mixing it for awhile might help make the box more attractive for him.

The Litterbox: What Every Cat Owner Needs To Know - TheCatSite
How To Train Kittens To Use The Litter Box - TheCatSite
Litter Box Location Secrets - TheCatSite
If you haven't read these, they might help you out.

If he's had accidents, make sure you clean them well with something like Natures Miracle to remove the odor completely so he isn't attracted to re-soil the area.

Here's another product that might help attract him to use his box.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M1OAVJE/?tag=thecatsite