Transferring from "holding crate" to transfer cage.

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
At this time, I am using a large wire dog kennel for a holding and recovery room.  This way, I can capture the cat  a day or two ahead of time before taking it in to get it spayed/neutered.  I created an upper level for the lounging and feeding area and then on the bottom is the litter box with a puppy pad underneath that.  The problem I'm having is transferring it from holding to the transfer cage that I use for travel.  The last time I did it turned into a wrestling match between me and the cat.  My trying to get the cat out and the cat holding onto anything it could to stay in.  Does anyone have any ideas on what to do?  The kennel is to large for my vehicle so using that as a transfer cage is not an option.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would put the transfer cage into the crate and get the cat into the cage that way.

Cover the transfer cage with a blanket or towel to make the cage more "appealing" as a hiding spot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's a good idea but usually the cat is sitting or lying up on the upper level of the crate.  So how to get her down from there to the bottom where the transfer cage would be sitting inside of the kennel door?

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
You may just have to hold the cage, and get kitty cornered where she has nowhere to go but the cage.