Transdermal Amitriptyline: Kitty has cystitis flare-up

sparkle304

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My 15 year-old ragdoll was diagnosed with idiopathic cystitis in early August. This diagnosis was based on a urinalysis, x-rays and bloodwork. No crystals or bacteria were found in his urine. Kidney disease was also ruled out. I took him to the vet after noticing an increased use of the litter box and some blood in his urine. A few days after his vet visit, he started to improve - averaging about 4 visits to the litterbox (all decent sized pees) and no blood in his urine. All was going well until two days ago. In cleaning out his litter box (which is done daily), I noticed he had used it at least 8 times, and yesterday he used it 6 times. Today, he has repeatedly visited his litter box and pees very little. Aside from weather changes, (cooler temperatures and rain), his environment and food has remained the same - a very quiet house, no visitors to the house, no food changes, schedule is the same. I'm unsure what brought about this flare-up :(

He is an extremely angry kitty at the vet (always has been), and requires full sedation for any visit - which is very hard on him, and requires some time for him to recover. Trust me, if he wasn't that way, I'd have him to the vet promptly. He's never been a cuddly ragdoll, but is calm at home. I've noticed that him seems anxious (perhaps caused by discomfort) recently.

Any advice? My vet prescribed transdermal amitriptyline (0.1 ml applied nightly to hairless part of ear). He will not accept pills and no amount of hiding the pill works. I'll be trying the transdermal amitriptyline this evening - does anyone have any experience with this? Also any help with assisting a kitty experiencing a cystitis flare-up would be appreciated! I want to help him in any way possible.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
D Mannose is used by many pet owners to prevent urinary tract infections. It is not an antibiotic and will not stop an existing infection, but may help in preventing one as it creates a non-adherence condition in the bladder.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HQOLTUS/?tag=thecatsite.

There are a number of these supplements around, so not suggesting that you have to use this one.

LICKS Pill-Free URINARY TRACT CARE Cat Supplement, 10 count - Chewy.com
This is another one which is administered in a different way. You might ask your vet if he thinks this would be helpful.