Tractor Supply Got Good Cat Food?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always liked shopping at TSC, but their nearest store was about 20 miles away. They just opened a new one in the next township, only about 4 1/2 miles away. I went over there and looked around. I've heard some people say that TSC's house brand cat foods are pretty good. The big problem was that they have a huge selection of cat foods available there, both name- and house-brand. Never suspected they'd have that many. Which of the TSC brands do you think are best?

Purrrfectttales

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't buy cat food at tractor supply BUT I buy the horse pine pellets and use that as cat litter! Biodegradable and no dust, smells good. Cats use it well.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients do luck good. I assume they cann be bought separate since the Turkey and giblets is the only one without fish

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feed my cats much fish, either. I've heard feeding fish can contribute to "fussy eater syndrome." The possibility of heavy metals in the fish bothers me as well.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A lot of people here have good luck with the 4 Health line of food. I'd suggest trying out a can or so of each to see if the cats like it. Mine won't eat any of it. They also don't like anything from Blue Buffalo. They are SUPER picky though.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ingredients do luck good. I assume they cann be bought separate since the Turkey and giblets is the only one without fish
I could only buy the big box of them but I seem to recall that when "Kitchen Selects" came up in another thread someone said they could buy them separately. FWIW, I bought those fairly soon after they came out so maybe they only had the variety packs then? I also think our Tractor Supply store isn't very big -- it definitely doesn't have a lot of cat food variety.

As for the fish, I don't feed much of it, either, and when I do, it's never foods that are just fish, only foods that have some other protein (land-based meat!) as a first ingredient. And preferably only one fish ingredient.

mizzely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Basically the Paws N Claws Kitchen Selects (3oz cans) are comparable to Fancy Feast or Aldi's brand, and the Paws N Claws in 5.5oz and larger cans are more similar to Friskies or Special Kitty.

Lydia is suuuuper picky and will only eat fish free foods, and hates the 5.5 oz cans as well as the 4 health, but they would be part of the rotation if she didn't! She does like the Turkey and Giblits Kitchen Selects though and mine does sell them separately.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, if the Paws n Claws 5.5 oz. is similar to the Friskies brand, they'll probably love it. They're not fussy eaters in the least. Will try out a small quantity though just to be on the safe side.

Cheyennesmom19

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I went to TSC today about a variety of can cat food to try to see if Cheyenne likes any of them. I got some Taste of the Wild, Purina Pro Plan, 4Health and some others to try to just to see if I can get Cheyenne to eat something.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, if the Paws n Claws 5.5 oz. is similar to the Friskies brand, they'll probably love it. They're not fussy eaters in the least. Will try out a small quantity though just to be on the safe side.
Don't say that out loud. They will hear you and that will change. Immediately.

You have no idea how lucky you are. I have two VERY picky eaters. Every mealtime is a challenge.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The two guys came from the shelter with bad habits. The girl kitten picked up on their bad habits as well. They always want what I'm eating and crawl all over me to get it. They eat everything. Sauerkraut, bananas, tomatoes, celery, etc.; cats aren't supposed to like any of that. They're like little four-legged vacuum cleaners!

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, the two boys are something like 3-3 1/2 years old and the kitten is about 11 months--almost a cat. She's transitioned to cat food now that her appetite has slacked off somewhat. They get their regular meals every day, but still beg and molest me while I eat. I usually let them "wash the dishes," that's all.

At least the sauerkraut is somewhat of a probiotic...

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I got some cans of Paws N Claws. They seemed to like it better than Friskies! I think it's because it stinks more than Friskies.

Sally395

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat like their 4health untamed, Stillwater marsh duck and lentil (he picks out the lentils though, but its okay). It's a really smooth pate and he likes it. 7 oz for 1.09 a can in my area. There is a turkey version too.