Toys

xxjustmusicxx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Anyone have recommendations for cat toys besides petsmart, petland or petco? Websites? The petco where i live closed down, and the petland is bleh...dirty, i dont go in there for anything. So i just rely on petsmart but im tired of their selection, hah. Yep. So, post away!

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Plain Brown Tabby has fabulous toys! And they are one of our forum's sponsors, as well as our very own Pat&Alix.
Seriously, I've gotten toys from her and my kitties just go nuts over them, and she definitely carries a variety that you can't find at Petsmart.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually make "homemade" toys for my furbabies. The least little thing seems to give them the most enjoyment.

Toys run from about $4 on up, and the ones that we've purchased get less play time than the objects around the house.

When they're playing with a pen that they pushed off a desk - why not consider that a "toy"?

We have several ink pens that no longer work. The ones I'm thinking of are red - seems to be a popular color with Phoebe (?). I took them apart and took out the ink tube, the spring and any other small loose objects out and gave them the two pieces to play with.

They also like bottle caps - like you get on a sports water bottle. There's another bottle cap that came off of my mineral water, it's aluminum I think - it makes a noise as they batting it around our tile floors.

Pipe cleaners, wound really tight (burying the ends making them the center that the pipe cleaner is wound around - they like them small, and carry them around and then bat them - usually under a chair.

I make balls out of aluminum foil, etc. I'm always careful to make sure I'm not making a toy that they could be harmed with, or choke on.

The best money I spent on a "toy" was a nylon cube made by "SPORT PET".
We found it at WalMart for $3.99. They come with velcro so you can attach other cubes together. Our cats play in them all the time.
This link shows what they look like, but == that price isn't what we paid for ours at Walmart, really! ..... we did get them at Walmart for the price I mentioned.

Take time to read the reviews - I absolutely agree with these reviews.

Sometimes the birthday party favors have safe objects that you could use for toys - plastic balls, etc.

I also give them my old toothbrushes to chew on - some of them have soft handles that they can safely chew on them.

So, unless anyone can point out any problems with the homemade toys, that's my suggestion.

Gloria