Toys For Mostly Blind Cat Who Can See Brights In The Dark

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've just found out that my Poppy (13 months)
Poppy (02839722).jpg
is very nearly blind. I've been worrying about her for a while as her pupils were almost always dilated, and the vet has confirmed my fears. Next stop, ophthalmic vet.

However, she can see the laser toy in the dim/dark (but not in the light) and her paws correctly follow it, not just her head (we just need to remove the half stone, black and white menace jumping on her/the laser :lol:)

Does anyone know of any bright neon light toys for cats? I know we can go down the crinkly/noisy route but I love the idea of her chasing something.

weebeasties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a little mouse that is motion activated. It lights up and chirps when you move it. I can't remember if it came from Petsmart or Walmart. It was a favorite when we had kittens. They loved swatting it around the house (and bringing it to me in bed in the middle of the night!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That sounds good! I'm in the UK so I may have to try Amazon or suchlike. I've found glow in the dark balls too! I don't like the idea of my baby not being able to play unless it's with Milo, whose idea of play normally consists of jumping on her lol

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I Googled and couldn't really find any toys that sound like what you are looking for. And a search for "toys for blind cats", of course, brought up noisy ones.
So I can't help with toys, but had to post to comment on your precious Poppy. :catlove: Fingers crossed the ophthalmic vet will be able to help with Poppy's sight. :crossfingers: But if not, she will still be able to have a happy life. :hearthrob:

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I Googled and couldn't really find any toys that sound like what you are looking for. And a search for "toys for blind cats", of course, brought up noisy ones.
So I can't help with toys, but had to post to comment on your precious Poppy. :catlove: Fingers crossed the ophthalmic vet will be able to help with Poppy's sight. :crossfingers: But if not, she will still be able to have a happy life. :hearthrob:
Thank you! She's very much loved and she's even more precious now. We have an ophthalmic vet appointment next week but in the meantime my house will be very dim as it appears she has limited sight in the dim/dark. This really does explain an awful lot about her and I'm so pleased I have Milo to keep her company, although sometimes it seems she really doesn't thank me :p

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so pleased I have Milo to keep her company, although sometimes it seems she really doesn't thank me :p
Well, of course not! Brothers are a mixed blessing - there's all that sibling rivalry going on - but it doesn't mean they don't love each other.

When I've been at a large supermarket recently I've seen some, oh, squishyball toys? something like that. Small (an inch or two across) soft balls in various shapes that have lights inside that start blinking in response to a squeeze or hard bump. The problem is, they're intended for children, not cats, so I'm not sure about safety around claws and teeth.

I've also seen various projection devices intended for children that put Disney pictures and such on the walls and ceiling, but I'm not sure whether they move or blink.

Try searching on things like "projection light show"; I'm pretty sure I've seen things that put on some kind of a colored light show in response to noise. They're intended to be used at parties and synchronize themselves with the music, and the technology is old enough now that there should be some available for a reasonable price. Do you have any big discount warehouse shops in the UK, like Big Lots here in the U.S.? If so, that would be the place to look.

Margret

Spookymoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl!

Ideas for toys could be light up balls, lots on Amazon. Does she like cat nip? The smell could help make up for lack of sight during the day and a spray could be used on the light up balls so she can find it to set off the lights at night .

I know you would like something she can chase so how about the squeak mice toys that are in a track?

When my kitty Tabby lost her sight she loved paper balls still, she knew the noise and would love batting them round. Plus it's a cheap option to try.

Best of luck finding something she likes, if you find something update us!

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an idea for play, but it would have to involve human-cat interaction so it's not something she might be able to do by herself.

Has your cat ever played with a stick that is moving around underneath a blanket or a large piece of packing paper? We do this with our cat... we sit on the floor, lay a towel or blanket, or paper, on the floor and then the human moves the end of a stick or long bumpy object underneath the towel. It makes it seem like a bug or "prey" is trying to move around underneath the surface. The cat (while on the towel or blanket) jumps and lunges and bats at the "bug" jiggling around underneath the towel. You could even tie a small bell to a sturdy string and drag that underneath the blanket, too.

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Our Monkeygirl was an expert toy destroyer. I got her some baby/toddler toys, she was unable to demolish them , you might find some light-up or musical items. What about glow in the dark hard bouncy ball. Glow braclet put inside a wiffle ball. You will need long tweezers to get the braclet out to put a new one in.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I've been at a large supermarket recently I've seen some, oh, squishyball toys? something like that. Small (an inch or two across) soft balls in various shapes that have lights inside that start blinking in response to a squeeze or hard bump. The problem is, they're intended for children, not cats, so I'm not sure about safety around claws and teeth.

Margret
This would be ideal, she's not a claw/tooth kinda cat. I always knew she was special as she was such a calm kitten - now I know why! So this would be good and of course Milo would adore it! I'll get on Google. We have some big warehouse type shops in the UK but of course Amazon is the "go to" place!

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have an idea for play, but it would have to involve human-cat interaction so it's not something she might be able to do by herself.

Has your cat ever played with a stick that is moving around underneath a blanket or a large piece of packing paper? We do this with our cat... we sit on the floor, lay a towel or blanket, or paper, on the floor and then the human moves the end of a stick or long bumpy object underneath the towel. It makes it seem like a bug or "prey" is trying to move around underneath the surface. The cat (while on the towel or blanket) jumps and lunges and bats at the "bug" jiggling around underneath the towel. You could even tie a small bell to a sturdy string and drag that underneath the blanket, too.
She used to jump on my feet in bed when she was younger and Milo does that now, so he would absolutely LOVE that idea! Sadly her sight isn't good enough for that but it's something for him as I feel he misses out quite a lot :thumbsup:

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful girl!

Ideas for toys could be light up balls, lots on Amazon. Does she like cat nip? The smell could help make up for lack of sight during the day and a spray could be used on the light up balls so she can find it to set off the lights at night .

I know you would like something she can chase so how about the squeak mice toys that are in a track?

When my kitty Tabby lost her sight she loved paper balls still, she knew the noise and would love batting them round. Plus it's a cheap option to try.

Best of luck finding something she likes, if you find something update us!
Thank you! She's my stunningly beautiful baby :redheartpump:

She's very tuned into noise and has started to play a bit more with feathery things that vibrate but she has to know they are there. She loves balls in the round track thing and I almost forget she's bad-sighted when she sits near one and "watches" me or Milo flip the ball around.

I've ordered some glow in the dark balls, enough so Milo can play too. She doesn't respond to catnip unfortunately.

She loves paper bags too, so Primark here we come (big paper bags there!)

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our Monkeygirl was an expert toy destroyer. I got her some baby/toddler toys, she was unable to demolish them , you might find some light-up or musical items. What about glow in the dark hard bouncy ball. Glow braclet put inside a wiffle ball. You will need long tweezers to get the braclet out to put a new one in.
Yes I think I'm going to go and look at kiddy toys as she's not destructive. Milo is a bit heavy handed but not too bad, plus he'd love them too.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got my guys a Kicode Plastic Clear Light Up Flashing Ball Activity Creative Interactive Toy Training Play Moving Pet Dog Cat Kitten Supplies and my seeing boys were unimpressed by it but your kitty might like it. Based on the blind cat tips I think a feather wand toy with a bell would work great. But they aren't that impressed with any balls.

7 Tips for Living With a Blind Cat | Catster

Uplifting video of a blind kitten & his adult cat bud :)

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She used to jump on my feet in bed when she was younger and Milo does that now, so he would absolutely LOVE that idea! Sadly her sight isn't good enough for that but it's something for him as I feel he misses out quite a lot :thumbsup:
Poppy doesn't need sight to play the game I suggested, which is why I think it might be fun for her (unless it scares her).

The point of the game is to jiggle the stick underneath her, and also underneath the blanket or towel or paper that's she's on, while she is sitting on it. And depending on the stick, toy used, and the floor surface, even if it's not pushed directly underneath her to get her to move and attack, she can hear the stick scraping underneath or near to her. It is definitely good "prey" behavior, and promotes hunt and catch. Cats have good ears and sense of touch.
:)

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I see! I shall try but it may be that she will not want to sit on the blanket/bag/sheet because she is a stubborn moo. And I will put Milo in the other room first as he will dive bomb the game lol.

The reason I say about her not wanting to divebomb my legs any more is that she used to be looking for what was moving and now of course she just has hearing. And a half stone black and white furball to divebomb my foot before she would ever get there!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been finding a few light up toys that look rather good, though I'm not sure how durable they are. There were several on chewy.com; I eliminated the one that specifically said the batteries couldn't be replaced and would likely die in 6 months, but the rest didn't say anything about replacing batteries one way or the other.
Margret

Blakeney Green

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My blind cat's favorite toy is Tower of Tracks. This surprised me because at first glance it appears to be 100% visual, but the balls make noise in the tracks and she chases them by sound - you can tell because she tilts her ear to it while playing. She loves it!