Toyger Cat

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think toygers are very unique and beautiful and I think it will be a long time before the traits they want in a toyger will be close to what they are aiming for.

This is what worries me when they 'develop' new breeds - what happens to all the cats that dont have the required traits? There are enough cats needing homes at the moment.

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RicaLynn

OK, for my edification, WHAT is a moggie? I keep seeing that word, but i haven't been able to figure it out yet. . .

Thx!
A moggie is a DOMESTIC cat either shorthair or longhair. NOT a mixed breed.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Heres my toyger Festus showing off her reddish orangish color!

Grrr-owwl!

And Garfield is the toyger missing its black stripes!

I remember looking at them as kittens, and thinking that if they could somehow be bred to have his orange stripes and her black spots/stripes, the babies would look like little tigers.

Of course, since they are both speutered...
But I do see the appeal of a flashy looking little tiger cat. Hopefully they speuter and rehome the kits who don't turn out looking enough like little tigers!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

I agree Katie. Do we really need another "wild domesticated cat"?

Nope
Now that's not fair. This is quite an undertaking. If you learn about what they are trying to develop in this breed you will see that if they suceed it will be an awesome breed! I mean do we really need more persians? It depends on who you ask. Those that love persians would say yes. If you ask those who love cats that look wild even though they are not they would definately say yes that we need more "wild looking domestic cats"!

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by booktigger

I think toygers are very unique and beautiful and I think it will be a long time before the traits they want in a toyger will be close to what they are aiming for.

This is what worries me when they 'develop' new breeds - what happens to all the cats that dont have the required traits? There are enough cats needing homes at the moment.
Well I don't think they have any problems finding homes for those that don't meet thier breeding expectations. I would definately take one!

scamperfarms

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think this breed has alot of potential. and they are not just breeding to breed either from the research i have done. they do s/n and rehome those who do not meet the standard they are trying to achive. which is good and responsible of them.

I know I sure wouldnt mind having a S/N Toyger in my home.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by halfpint

Oh my gosh Garfield looks exactly like my Dunkin except, I put eyebrows on Dunkin
he never leaves me alone when I am outting on my makeup
That is too funny! I don't even put makeup on myself, and certainly don't have time to "do" Garfield's face! I have used under eye cream on his nose when it looked dry, though!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put makeup on him all the time, just eyebrows and blush, he sits just as still as can be, the orange cats to me have a special sweet personality

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Course we need more Persians. But the point I am trying to make is at least I'm not trying to mate Persians & Russian Blues and call them a new breed.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Course we need more Persians. But the point I am trying to make is at least I'm not trying to mate Persians & Russian Blues and call them a new breed.
That's like comparing apples and oranges. The things they are trying to achive with this breed will take A LOT of work and it is WAY different then breeding two breeds together. Please do the research and see what they are trying to accomplish with the breed and how they are trying to accomplish it.
That's like if you wanted to breed a smash face cat (persian). You would not just take two different breeds and breed them together. You would take cats with the qualities needed to make a smashed face. then you would SLOWLY get the desired trait over many, many years and generations of very selective breeding. Now with the toyger there are LOTS of traits that they want in this cat that domestic cats do not carry. They want the "Hair ruff" around the chin. They want a face that resembles a tiger with a square jaw and rounded ears. They want rosetted stripes on the body, the orange color with whited belly and undersides.A long thick tail, And they also want chevrons on the forehead (which may be almost impossible to acheve although a few cats they have bred do show some chevrons). As you can see it's going to be a very, very long time before they even begin to get what they are hoping to get.