Toyger Cat

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's a new breed of cat called the Toyger. They are so beautiful!

What is a Toyger?

The Toyger cat is a medium sized, short haired domestic cat reminescent of a toy tiger. Designed with a modern city life with humans in mind, it is an intellegent and willing companion animal, active and highly trainable. Color and markings are that of a satin toy while type suggests a big cat---long bodied and tailed, large boned and muscular, round ears, large chin-leading muzzle with broad nose tip. This cat will one day resemble a tiny, shiny toy tiger on leash or playing with the kids.

catfur

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I saw some Toyger's at the TICA annual show in Green Bay (just a hop, skip and a jump away, why not go?), and these pictures, while nice, do not do them justice. The ones I saw were much more orange, and the tabby pattern was much better (more defined, unbroken black striping). The breeder I spoke to said they still had a long way to go in "confirmation" (the general look of a cat) though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe the Toyger is a cross between a Bengal and a domestic cat. I'll try to find some more info on them!

jasminecat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well.....

I think if the breeders are working towards a new breed in an ethical way, ie. not using wild/ exotic cats, and there are no health problems associated with the breed....then er...why not?

All breeds somewhere along the line, were developed by outcrossing. i think though the problem lies where some people will fall for the novelty of it, get a kitten,and dump it when its grown

i think it looks beautiful

leviugga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am more interested in what you have posted than the Toyger lol ..that BobCat is gorgeous... I had a friend who had a domestic cat who "supposedly" bred with a bobcat once..and was he a BIG ole pussy! Monday was massive he certainly looked like a cross between the 2!

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is interesting what you have said on the breeding between the domestic cat and the bobcat. That is the story behind the Pixie Bob breed. As legend has it, that is what they are. This breeding occurred on it's own, not an intentional breeding. I have 4 Pixie bobs, but Amber is spayed and will not be used for breeding.
This is Auroa, one of my female Pixie Bobs. If you look at the color of the fur, you can see the "bobcat" look. She does have a short bobcat tail, but you can not see it in this picture.

Aurora

fireshoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The toygers are really neat looking, but since we're on the bobcat subject, I have been talking with a breeder about getting an American Bobtail. Hopefully I will be getting one in the next couple of months.

fireshoes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Here's a picture of the silver tabby American Bobtail. I didn't get one for the brown kitties yet. I'm not sure I want to - I might have cuteness overload and get them all lol!

leviugga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This thread just got me so intrigued I started to read up on Pixies.. I have sat for days reading. Carol Ann Brewer was a smart woman! As I said earlier I had a friend once back in South Carolina who used to travel alot to N.C. to a farm out in the middle of nowhere! When we were little my mom used to take us because she was actually my moms best friend.

I can remember her talking about a litter of kittens that "supposedly" had beed sired by a Bob Cat..of course we all thought she was crazy! She brought one of the kittens home and it was the BIGGEST kitten we had ever seen. He had the huge paws and spots on him, no tail, he was a darker colour almost a greyish like colour.

As the cat grew older it honestly did look like a Bob Cat. He was the most beautiful cat I had ever seen. Monday was his name and he is not alive anymore. I don't think this is as uncommon an occurance as some sites make it out to be. Your Amber is about the closest to a Bob Cat as I have seen from some of the breeders... Some of them do not look like Bob Cats to me. I just wanted to share that with you..I thought we were all crazy until I saw this posting..I never knew they existed as a breed.