toy suggestions ??

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
not too sure where i should put this thread but, i just got paid and i wanna spoil my baby, quinn a bit, already planning on getting her Da Bird and another patchwork kong bear as she loves her current one, i’m also looking for teething toy suggestions, she has the Orkakat Wiggly Worm by PetStages but she hates the poor thing :lol: when i first gave it to her, she actually jumped, she then sniffed it and just... slowly backed away :lol: i’m guessing she’s teething as she chews literally anything she can get her paws on, and its not that she’s bored as we play with her constantly so any recommendations are welcome !!:hearthrob::lol:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got SG teething toys, but she wasn't all that interested. What she did love was a toy I made. I was thinking back to my favorite toy at her equivalent age and it was a wheeled wooden bee on a string. What I made was to take a box that plastic sandwich bags came in and put a hole at one end. I threaded a long 2.5 feet piece of soft clothesline through it with a good knot on the inside of the line in the box. SG adored grabbing the line and racing around the house dragging her toy. You can also use a small light box with a small opening and put small objects inside so they rattle when she drags the box around. She played with her boxes for her first two years.

WARNING - watch your cat with the clothesline for several days to be sure she doesn't chew on it. SG didn't, but some do. The same is true if you put small things that rattle in the box, watch to see if she takes the box apart to get them. Unless you really enjoy making new boxes do not use cat food to make the rattle.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had no idea that Boone or Gracie had chewed through the DirecTV cord on my youngest's TV until I went to get rid of the TV and box because he never watched TV in his room so why pay for the box?? Anyway, went to unplug the box and saw that it was no longer attached and had been chewed in half. Gracie is a paper chewer which I find really strange. Paper towels, toilet paper, receipts, etc.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You might tie a piece of paper to a string and tie it to a doorknob. Cats like dangling toys like that. Watch to see she doesn't start chewing on the string. Maybe even just drag the string across the rug in front of her. Make a kicker toy out of some old sweat socks tied in knots. You can try a ping pong ball in the bathtub. Cats seem to go for that. Also, don't forget the good old paper bag or cardboard box. Even a stick you found in the back yard makes a good toy. Cheap alternatives let you try stuff out without spending lots on toys your cat might not like.

game misconduct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with graycie i had better luck with puppy/dog stuffed type chew toys they lasted longer :lol:plus they are bigger and she is able to play rougher with em grab bite and shred with her back legs etc.anything you get from outside be sure it hasnt been contaminated or sprayed with insect poison or toxic itself to the cat .sheet of notebook paper balled up works until its shredded.also since you just got your paycheck might as well browse amazon for toys:lol:they have lots or go into your local pet store and clean em out of cat toys.just becareful though i notice alot of said toys have lil bits(bells) parts that a cat can chew off easy and swallow/choking hazard so i cut them off once i get home. also this dog toy best i found to take the abuse from sharp kitten teeth graycie loves it

Attachments

Last edited:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
don't be discouraged and don't throw out a toy just because she hasn't gone near it for a couple of weeks after you got it. Some cats like to take their time to get used to new things.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
with graycie i had better luck with puppy/dog stuffed type chew toys they lasted longer :lol:plus they are bigger and she is able to play rougher with em grab bite and shred with her back legs etc.anything you get from outside be sure it hasnt been contaminated or sprayed with insect poison or toxic itself to the cat .sheet of notebook paper balled up works until its shredded.also since you just got your paycheck might as well browse amazon for toys:lol:they have lots or go into your local pet store and clean em out of cat toys.just becareful though i notice alot of said toys have lil bits(bells) parts that a cat can chew off easy and swallow/choking hazard so i cut them off once i get home. also this dog toy best i found to take the abuse from sharp kitten teeth graycie loves it
I often wondered if I should get some smaller dog toys for my cats, especially chew toys. Thanks for the suggestion.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a teeny tiny kong you might like, well, even if cat doesn't like you might want it cause it's too cute for words.
  • Dimensions 1.4 x 1.4 x 2.25 inches Weight 0.96 ounces

• looks huge in picture, but one we got was narrower.
1629915803338.png

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A shoelace or a rope made from several strands of yarn, braided together.

It's Casper's favorite toy. He'll actually come to get me and lead me to his play area where he'll sit and look at the place where we keep his rope toy with an expression that seems to say, "Make it go for me."

Just do me a fave. Will ya'?

Don't let your cat play with string or yarn by herself. Always hold onto one end. Put it away when you're done playing.

Always gotta' be safe! Right? :thumbsup:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
so !! we got her a hexbug mouse and a kickeroo and she loves them ! she’s chased the mouse all morning and is now sleeping in her hammock, going to pets at home again in a few days so that after her vaccines we can give her some more toys as a reward for being (hopefully) a good girl at the vets lol, definitely getting da bird and a few more kong toys as she loves them, she’s so spoilt lmao but its so deserved as she’s amazing :cloud9: :lol: :hearthrob:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
there is a toy that kit loved, but turned out to be dangerous. It's an elastic string with a metal hook that attaches lightly to the top of the door jamb. At the cat end of the string is a bird. SG loved grabbing the bird and stretching the string as far as it would go and letting it go to sprong around the room. The only problem was being elastic she managed to wrap the string around her leg and her neck and almost chocked to death before we realized what was happening. Harder to see because the string matched her fur. It you get this toy, watch her every minute it's out, not just when you think she's playing with it.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has several Articles that offer good tips and advice regarding toys for your cats:
How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat – TheCatSite Articles
8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You’re Going To Love! – TheCatSite Articles

don't be discouraged and don't throw out a toy just because she hasn't gone near it for a couple of weeks after you got it. Some cats like to take their time to get used to new things.
:yeah: This is so true! Our cat will suddenly stop playing with a favorite toy and then weeks or even months later will go back to it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
not too sure where i should put this thread but, i just got paid and i wanna spoil my baby, quinn a bit, already planning on getting her Da Bird and another patchwork kong bear as she loves her current one, i’m also looking for teething toy suggestions, she has the Orkakat Wiggly Worm by PetStages but she hates the poor thing :lol: when i first gave it to her, she actually jumped, she then sniffed it and just... slowly backed away :lol: i’m guessing she’s teething as she chews literally anything she can get her paws on, and its not that she’s bored as we play with her constantly so any recommendations are welcome !!:hearthrob::lol:
Kittens like to chase after things. I have a da bird toy but I do not use the feather. It's like chasing a bug on the ground. So go cat catcher with a mouse or perfect leather bouncer or simply a stick with a string knotted around it. Lots of pop up cubes to run through or boxes and cut holes in them.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My last cat went crazy for Da Bird. The only problem was it broke quickly. First a feather was pulled out. Later the whole attachment to it, including the metal piece that attaches it to the string, broke off. When that happened, I just threw the feather part like a football and watched the cat carry them in her mouth for a while. After several weeks I put the string back in the attachment, double knotted it, and put tape on the knot to make it last longer. But eventually I had to buy a new Da Bird anyway. The wand on that one snapped in half on the first day. A big shame because my cat LOVED Da Bird.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is 3 months+ ripple rug. My cats loved it but not enough room for it. One of my cats likes to run after a toy I throw and land in shipping trash

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she is 3 months+ ripple rug. My cats loved it but not enough room for it. One of my cats likes to run after a toy I throw and land in shipping trash
What is a ripple rug?

When my cat was a kitten, she brought toy mice I threw in the kitchen back to my bedroom, but not to me. She would stand looking for a place to drop the mouse. When I switched from hard mice to catnip filled mice, she decided they belong in the water bowl. Oops.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I need to buy a new mouse attachment. No rush they like it without. They love the new wand toy with big feather. It looks real.new toys always scare my cat peaches. Now it's her fav
20210914_215211.jpg