Toy Storage - open access or out of sight?

mayabear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maya’s toys are in a plastic drawer at the moment. I guess it’s my bad, but I might forget about some toys that are in there. I think having a bin or something open might be better, but curious what others do.
I have a small apartment so space is limited.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I guess it depends on you and the cat.
Minish has an open toy box which she never checks. I forget toys in it but when I find them she's not happy about them either. For her, nothing is a toy unless it moves in an exciting manner. Some cats go pick toys from their baskets, even bring them to their owners to play. I'm not that lucky :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some toys, like catnip mice and kickers, I left out all the time. I would change them out with new ones every so often. Other toys, like her wand toys, I put in bins. She was smart and knew where I kept them. If I went to a toy bin, she knew what came next even before she saw the toy. When I moved her favorite wands to a closet, she would frequently (at least once a day) sit in front of that closet door. That was her polite way of saying, "can you fetch a wand for us to play with?" She was a smart cat!

It's not a huge apartment. But I'm pleased with its size and what I've been able to do with it. I gave over an entire wall in what could have been the dining room to her. I live alone. I can eat at my desk or in my TV chair. I have a few of these bin storage units around the place. Not all of them are being used for cat toys. However, the two fabric bins on either end do contain cat toys in this picture. The one on the left has a Cat Dancer threaded through the handle opening so she could bat that one on her own.
IMG_2351.JPG

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a open toy basket. My cats will dig thru it and pull toys out to play with them. Then when I do my "big" floor wash, I'll gather all the toys as I wash and put them back in the basket....And we start all over again. This seems to work for us and our cats, and it didn't take them long to know where they can get their toys. Within a day of putting them away, sometimes within hours, I'll see 2-3 already strewn about. I'll even put their wand toys in the basket, and they'll grab the end and drag it over to me if they want me to play with them.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a open toy basket. My cats will dig thru it and pull toys out to play with them. Then when I do my "big" floor wash, I'll gather all the toys as I wash and put them back in the basket....And we start all over again. This seems to work for us and our cats, and it didn't take them long to know where they can get their toys. Within a day of putting them away, sometimes within hours, I'll see 2-3 already strewn about. I'll even put their wand toys in the basket, and they'll grab the end and drag it over to me if they want me to play with them.
Same here. Every so often I'll even take old toys, put them in a plastic bag with catnip, shake, and put them back in the basket. That helps them know where their toys are, and they can take them out as they wish. When it's time to clean the house, I put them all back and we start again. Usually it's the youngest of my clowder that takes them all out.
IMG_20201127_195948.jpg