Toy possessive - how to help stop the growling?

ares

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, I adopted a second kitten almost two weeks ago. Followed all the steps about properly introducing them and they more or less get along great. They roll around and play with each other, chirp all the time, and just are both very friendly. Ares, my first kitten, is 6 months old and wopping 7.6 pounds (the vet is amazed at how big he is - and he's not over weight for his body structure.) Corvo, the new one, is just a little over 5 months and must have been the runt of his litter. He's just a little over 5 pounds and very scrawny. I was expecting Ares to be a little rough with him (not on purpose) so I tend to keep a close eye on them when they're playing. What I noticed, though, was not at all what I expected. The first time I introduced a toy into their play Corvo instantly ran to it, took it in his mouth, and ran away from Ares into a corner. Ares, not understanding why the play stopped, chirped and ran over to him only to get growled at. Ares backed off immediately and sat about a foot away from him. This happens every time I throw a toy down for them to play with. It's gotten to the point that when Ares sees a toy when Corvo is in the room, he'll walk away from it and stay as far from Corvo as possible until the toy is removed - then they go back to playing. Is this normal? How can I go about correcting this behavior? Corvo also tends to growl is Ares comes over to sniff his food - which is something else I'm hoping to work on. Thanks!

lovesmekitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm replying because I have the same situation.  In fact we have a couple of parallels.  2 of my kitties are brothers and weigh 8 lbs at 5 mos.(Stewie and Louie).  They are not over weight, just long.  I also have a younger one at 3 1/2 mos. (JohnnyMac) that I suspect weighs under 5 lbs. but he's growing so fast I'm not sure right now.  Stewie growls and hisses both at his toys and the other 2 kittens.  Initially it happened with the food too.  He's not aggressive (no biting or scratching), just possessive.  I looked at it like he is just a hunter boy and likes to own his prey.  It kind of cracks me up actually.  I just make sure they all have enough toys out to play with.  It may not be something to correct because it seems so instinctive - but someone else may have more insight on that.  Ares is just heeding Corvo's warning.  If there are enough toys out for them  - maybe even 3 toys for the 2 - there's hopefully no conflict as they can each have their own without the competition unless Corvo decides he favors a particular toy.  They still may play together with one toy in time (as Stewie does now occasionally with his bro's) or at least play together eventually when there is no toy involved (which mine do now as well).  It still hasn't been that long for them to get used to each other and add to that they are both going through kitty stages - they're relationship will likely change quite a bit but Corvo may always be possessive of his "prey."

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For both of you - put out a toy for each of them. When I give mine new furry mice, I have to throw one for Sugar and one for Spice. Otherwise, one of them will grab the mouse, and growl at every cat that comes near. Sugar and Spice are litter-mates, almost 2 years old, and have been with me since Dec. 2011.

Think of it like children. If you give a toy or treat to one child and nothing to the other, visualize the results.   I find that if I view the ladies like 30-year old children, it helps to understand their behavior.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It may be that the little guy is going to be alpha in that situation.  When it comes to toys here like the laser pointer, da bird, or the cat dancer; Mooch only gets to play if Noodles isn't around.  

I would do like Catspaw suggested and put out 2.  For my  girls; it's helpful that they have different tastes when it comes to other toys.  Especially now that they are grown.

chloeg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I buy 2 or more of everything and it gets kinda pricey with the bigger toys but I  feel like I have to ,since Cole is very possessive and even takes to siting or sleeping on his toys and if he likes Chloes, toys he take over that as well.Most often Chloe just waits for him to get tired and then she plays with the stuff.He's the younger of the 2 but always wants everything first even my attention.I haven't found a solution yet but Im hoping this behavior changes with time.good luck

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see no reason to interfere at all. As the others have suggested always offer a toy for each cat, but if one cat wants to growl over his toys and food, and the other understand what the growling means, there is no problem, they are just being who they are.

Give them each their own toys, their own toy boxes and their own food dishes.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are furry mice all through the house, and all Julie wants to play with is the ring from a quart Gatorade bottle. Yes, cats are strange. That's why we love them so much.