Toxoplasmosis & Pregnancy

9cats&pregnant

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I recently found out that I'm expecting, which is a minor miracle since we've been trying to conceive for years and I am now in my early 40's. The thing is, we have 9 cats, and we've all heard the stories and read the warning labels on cat litter about pregnant women and cat feces. This is my first pregnancy and since I am likely to have complications due to my age alone, I'd like to explore all other risk factors. My goal is to carry this child to full term and give birth to a happy healthy baby. I've done my research about this but still have some questions and am not quite sure where to go to ask them. I figured that alot of people on here probably have large feline families like me and surely some of you have been pregnant/had children while living with that many cats, and maybe someone can help.

So what I do know is that cat feces can carry a parasite known as toxoplasmosis which can cause major problems in unborn children and infants, even miscarriage. Most of the time there are no symptoms in cats or humans. Cats get the parasite from eating a rodent that has the parasite or from playing in soil (nobody says why exactly soil is a risk, but I assume it's because animals that have the parasite may have defecated in it?). Everything I've read says that indoor-only cats rarely come in contact with it, unless they are fed raw or undercooked meat (humans can get it this way also). I've also read that a woman who already has the parasite prior to conception of a child will not pass it to her child because her immune system is already familiar with it and will protect the baby (similar to a vaccine, in a way).

Of my 9 cats, one was indoor/outdoor prior to my taking him in 7 or 8 months ago, and (much to his disappointment) he has been indoor only since. 2 have escaped and gotten outside for no more than a day, both about 2-3 years ago. The rest either came to me as young kittens, barely weaned, or were born in my house (a litter that resulted from the above mentioned escape), and have never even seen the outside except for in a kennel on the way to the vet. They live on a diet of commercial canned food and kibble, the only time they've ever eaten real meat is from my plate when I eat. I know it is plausible that if my ex-indoor/outdoor cat had it, he might have spread it to the others.

All of my cats have eaten off my plates and silverware, drank from my cups, one has even eaten directly out of my mouth at times. I know that's not exactly hygenic, but for a very long time I had accepted that my cats were the only children I would ever have and I treated them as such. Also, I was the one who changed the litter boxes up until a few weeks ago. So if any of my cats have it, there is a very good chance that I have already been exposed, therefore, my unborn child isn't at risk.

I am just wondering, how common is this parasite? Does anyone know? I've read that it's very uncommon and that there is greater risk of getting it from store-bought meat and produce that hasn't been washed or cooked thouroughly. But obviously it must be an issue if there are warnings right on bags of litter, am I right? Does anyone out there really know? I've read too many horror stories to just let this go.

kscatlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You're more then likely immune to it. If no one else can clean the litter boxes for you, then make sure you wear rubber gloves and then wash your hands throughly when you're done. You'll be fine. I'm pregnant too, I'm not too worried about toxoplasmosis, I just like having an excuse to make DH do the litter boxes!

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on the pregnancy

When you get your next lot of bloodwork done, ask them to test for toxoplasmosis. If you've already been exposed then you don't need to worry.

I'm 32 weeks pregnant myself, and my husband does the litter trays, but I occasionally do them. I don't worry about wearing gloves - I use the scoop, and scoop straight into a bag, so the chances of me coming in contact with it are very unlikely. I just wash my hands really well in very warm water afterwards. As long as you scoop at least once a day, you're fine too. From Wikipedia:

Most cats are not actively shedding oocysts and so are not a danger, but the risk may be reduced further by having the litterbox emptied daily (oocysts require longer than a single day to become infective)
As long as you're careful, you'll be fine. I know of 2 people who've gotten toxoplasmosis while pregnant (and neither owned cats I should add!), and they felt pretty sick, but for both of them, the babies were perfectly healthy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think there is a tendency to overreact to this. When I got pregnant for our daughter I asked my doctor about it as someone had "scared" me with this information. My doctor said he wished people would mind their own business.
He said that since I'd already had my cat for 9 years that I probably had immunities already which are passed to the baby and that having my husband scoop the litterbox or if I had to, just ensure you wash your hands well. Normal hygienic behaviour in other words.

I get angry when I hear people say they need to get rid of cats because they are now pregnant - what nonsense. I had. some folks tell me that when I got pregnant but no way

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I should add that I've had owned cats all my life, volunteered at an animal shelter for the last 4 years, and had countless feral/stray cats and kittens that I've fostered through my house, and tested negative for Toxoplasmosis.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Congratulations on the pregnancy

When you get your next lot of bloodwork done, ask them to test for toxoplasmosis. If you've already been exposed then you don't need to worry.
When I was pg I asked my doctor to test me in which he said it's too late. I could have come in contact while I was pg and there was no way by the blood tests.

My MIL recommended a mask and gloves b/c the spores in the litter dust is just as harmful.

I wasn't concerned but after numerous comments "why take the chance" I handed the duty over to DH and mom.

Congrats

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cats exposed to Toxoplasma gondii shed the oocysts for about three weeks. If your cats are excuslively indoor (which I understand they are) and no one's escaped outside in the last few months, it shouldn't be an issue at all.

Just make sure - as others have said - to wash your hands thoroughly any time you scoop the litter box. I assume this is something you do anyway.

And you're right - you are far more likely to get toxoplasmosis from undercooked meat or unwashed fruits or vegetables. Make sure you cook meat to well done while pregnant, and wash anything before you eat/serve it.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

My MIL recommended a mask and gloves b/c the spores in the litter dust is just as harmful
What spores? Unless you're talking about a fungus, mold, or certain bacteria, there are no spores. Toxoplasma is a protozoa, like guardia, coccidia, or more closely - malaria. There are oocysts that would be found in feces/soil, and cysts in undercooked meat.

Indoor cats can get toxoplasma gondii if they've been exposed (and eaten) to mice indoors - likewise, if you're exposed to mice feces you could get it that way.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Even still, if you get the test and show you're negative, you know that if you have a positive test in the future that you have contracted it.

If it's positive, and you're feeling fine, you've probably been exposed at some point in the past.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The following is from the CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/toxoplasmosis/pregnant.html#cat

Do I have to give up my cat if I'm pregnant or planning on becoming pregnant?

No. You should follow these helpful tips to reduce your risk of environmental exposure to Toxoplasma.
  • Avoid changing cat litter if possible. If no one else can perform the task, wear disposable gloves and wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water afterwards.
  • Change the litter box daily. The Toxoplasma parasite does not become infectious until 1 to 5 days after it is shed in a cat's feces.
  • Feed your cat commercial dry or canned food, not raw or undercooked meats.
  • Keep cats indoors.
  • Avoid stray cats, especially kittens. Do not get a new cat while you are pregnant.
  • Keep outdoor sandboxes covered.
  • Wear gloves when gardening and during contact with soil or sand because it might be contaminated with cat feces that contain Toxoplasma. Wash hands thoroughly after gardening or contact with soil or sand.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

What spores? Unless you're talking about a fungus, mold, or certain bacteria, there are no spores. Toxoplasma is a protozoa, like guardia, coccidia, or more closely - malaria. There are oocysts that would be found in feces/soil, and cysts in undercooked meat.

Indoor cats can get toxoplasma gondii if they've been exposed (and eaten) to mice indoors - likewise, if you're exposed to mice feces you could get it that way.
IDk you have to ask my MIL.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, congrats!!
We're also trying (I'm 40) so I understand your concerns. It doesn't help when the doctor starts by saying you're "high risk" due to your age.

I've been reading up on Toxoplasmosis and I agree with everyone else. Use common sense. If you can get someone else to clean the litter boxes, let them! Better safe than sorry. If you have to do it, use gloves. I also would use a mask (you can get them at any hardware store...think they use them for drywall dust). I don't know about spores, but I'm sure the ammonia scent and dust from litter probably isn't good. Wash your hands good (even if wearing gloves) just in case.

My advice is to train someone now to clean them so you don't have to worry about it when you're 8 months pregnant and can't see your own feet much less squat down to clean the litterbox
Problem solved!

Again, congrats, and keep us posted!

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just had my first a few months ago and I made DH clean the boxes! But then it's normally his job anyway! After a few months I didn't feel like bending over anyway; and once my feet/ankles started swelling I really couldn't!

I also think people overreact to it; and other things, while you are pregnant. It seems to me that common sense is your best protection. Good luck and congratulations!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as one washes their hands, which I really hope every already does!!, they should be fine. It wasn't that long ago, and still common in some communities, that pregnant women were out tending the farm animals, milking cows/goats, etc. Compared to that, a litter box is much cleaner job.

Originally Posted by Crazyforinfo

IDk you have to ask my MIL.
You know, I've found that mothers and MILs often believe some of the craziest things... fathers, too. (debated with my dad just yesterday that OTC flea treatments - zodiac? are not the same as the ones from the vet, nor as safe for pets or people) At least my own mother listens.