Tourette-like symptoms

veggiekitten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I adopted my cat, Olive, from the local pound almost 3 years ago & she was 3 years old at the time. As soon as I took her home, I noticed the muscles in her face randomly twitch and spaz, it's a reoccuring twitch that will happen periodically throughout the day. It was never alarming to me because I figured she just had some type of neurological issue like tourettes & she goes about her days like a completely healthy cat otherwise.

Recently I decided I wanted to adopt a young kitten. During my search, I came across kittens that were new to the pound & not yet adoptable. I immediately noticed one of the kittens was twitching it's facial muscles, except it was a tad more intense than Olive's twitches. I talked to one of the people who work at the pound and she informed me that this kitten had a type of disorder that he was born with that affects the muscles in his face. She went on to tell me about how some cats are so severely affected by it, they're unable to hold their head up & have to be hand fed.

However, I cannot remember what the name of this disorder was! I've been trying to research the symptoms but I'm at a loss. I learned that cat's do not suffer from tourettes so Olive must have a minor form of this particular disorder. I'm interested in reading up on it but I simply can't find it. I'm just wondering if anyone knows what it is that I'm talking about and can spark my memory. I feel like she might have mentioned the word "palsy" but I could be wrong.

sorry for the long thread!
thank you!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Doesn't sound like cerebellar hypoplasia. CH makes the entire cat spastic - it doesn't really affect their facial muscles, more their gross motor skills. Our Ming Loy has CH, and her entire head shakes when she's interested in something or excited, and she can't walk very far without falling over - her back end really swings around because her walking is uncoordinated.

I just googled neurologic disorders in cat, went through about 10 sites, but can't find anything of that description. Maybe call the shelter and ask so you can chat with your vet prior to potentially adopting her? :dk:

Makayla1233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat has Epilepsy and acts similarly. He often tics and spasms must Vet said that it is probably a sign of brain hyperactivity.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Focal seizure? They are also sometimes referred to as partial seizures since they are isolated to a specific part of the body and usually involve a small localized area within the cerebral cortex. Facial twitching is one type of focal seizure.