Tough Time Dealing With Chotu The Stray

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He youwls that he wants to go to the garage for his business. Does that mean his litter box is somewhere else? They prefer to have their box away from all food. If his box is not in the garage he may want it there?
Yowling to go out is normal. Be careful he doesn’t try to dash out. My Lady is a harness girl and It seems to get her overstimulated sometimes but at the same time, if she hears the neighbors, she is terrified. She immediately wants Mom, inside or tries to hide. She also howls. It’s her way of telling me things or just holding a conversation. I talk to her and yowl back,” what is it Lady?” She usually answers a few times before coming to find me. As tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 said, getting them tired by playing is a great solution!
Chotu sits on your head? :flail:I love that! I have one who does that too! Chotu is bonded to you for life. He loves and trusts you so , it’s all good!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course Chotu is neutered, and he is well cared for and loved, but he is a young male cat, and full of energy and interest in the life all around him! Cats by nature stalk their prey and finding food takes up a lot of their time, so he would love to have interaction with you, playing with an interactive toy. Cat Dancer and da Bird are our favorites -- they are "fishing pole" type toys with a wand, a string, and a lure on the end. If they aren't available, you can easily make something similar by using a stick and a piece of string; attach the string to the stick and on the other end, tie a bunch of feathers or piece of fabric or paper. Then play with Chotu, wiggling, waving and "flying" the lure for him to stalk, pounce on, and catch. A few moments of play a couple of times a day will give him a lot of stimulation and pleasure and tire him out a little, so he will settle down more often. Play right before your bedtime will help to calm him. Cats by nature are crepuscular -- most active at dawn and dusk, when their preferred prey of small rodents is out and about. They don't naturally sleep all night long, like we do. Young male cats especially will be active and prowling at these times. But cats are also creatures of pattern, and if you and Chotu establish a routine of play, you may find he will calm down in time.
we have several sticks with feathers attached - all natural - nothing is made in china...and he loves playing with foil balls - which is tin foil made into different sized balls - which i throw on the floor and he runs and plays and bats them around. some days he plays - other days he just looks at me like i am crazy... i do everything you have mentioned and more... i play hide and seek with him...i stalk him which he seems to have an amusing reaction to ... oh gosh - i wake up at 4am to let him out onto the catio, i play with him in the afternoon/evenings... he has 2 mice - one of which we got in december and he has just started playing with them...chotu is very spoiled - he has a box of toys and i rotate them - but i think the yowling as you rightly pointed out - is a young male cat with sooo much energy that i have to be creative ... but i think you are right...the yowling is just due to the need for me to keep him stimulated and entertained... thank you again for all the advice... i was wondering if there was more that i can do - but i think we have all the bases covered...and then some...

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He youwls that he wants to go to the garage for his business. Does that mean his litter box is somewhere else? They prefer to have their box away from all food. If his box is not in the garage he may want it there?
Yowling to go out is normal. Be careful he doesn’t try to dash out. My Lady is a harness girl and It seems to get her overstimulated sometimes but at the same time, if she hears the neighbors, she is terrified. She immediately wants Mom, inside or tries to hide. She also howls. It’s her way of telling me things or just holding a conversation. I talk to her and yowl back,” what is it Lady?” She usually answers a few times before coming to find me. As tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 said, getting them tired by playing is a great solution!
Chotu sits on your head? :flail:I love that! I have one who does that too! Chotu is bonded to you for life. He loves and trusts you so , it’s all good!
His highness has 3 litter boxes. one in the bathroom - which he used with no issues till he discovered the sawdust in the garage. then i created a 2nd litter box in the garage as i didnt want him poooping all over the floor as our garage is super messy with tools and wood working related things. then i keep woodshavings in a litterbox out on the catio since he sometimes spends hours there...as i write this - he is walking across my tummy to park himself next to me.

he has dashed out a few times, only to dash right back in...harness outings tend to lead to an increase in howling - so am wary of taking him out - as it incites him.

most nights he will sleep on my head....

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
His highness has 3 litter boxes. one in the bathroom - which he used with no issues till he discovered the sawdust in the garage. then i created a 2nd litter box in the garage as i didnt want him poooping all over the floor as our garage is super messy with tools and wood working related things. then i keep woodshavings in a litterbox out on the catio since he sometimes spends hours there...as i write this - he is walking across my tummy to park himself next to me.

he has dashed out a few times, only to dash right back in...harness outings tend to lead to an increase in howling - so am wary of taking him out - as it incites him.

most nights he will sleep on my head....
WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL, Chotu is definitely a night cat. But how about TORMUND?
Guy Discovers Just What His Cat Is Up To While He's Sleeping

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lolololol! I watched the link that tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 posted! I hope you watched it too! Really funny! Don’t let Chotu get any ideas though!

Three boxes? That’s great. Come on Chotu. Cooperate.
Lady is my harness girl and I agree that the more we walk, the more demanding she becomes. If we had a catio, I would probably stop walking her so much. Give her an inch, she wants a mile! :lol:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lolololol! I watched the link that tarasgirl06 tarasgirl06 posted! I hope you watched it too! Really funny! Don’t let Chotu get any ideas though!

Lady is my harness girl and I agree that the more we walk, the more demanding she becomes. If we had a catio, I would probably stop walking her so much. Give her an inch, she wants a mile! :lol:
"Exercise is good for the servants. They need more than just trips to scoop (HOW many did you say?) litter boxes and feed and water us!" --Lady The Oh-So-Thoughtful

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"Exercise is good for the servants. They need more than just trips to scoop (HOW many did you say?) litter boxes and feed and water us!" --Lady The Oh-So-Thoughtful
33 boxes right now. Lady wants me to get cardio too. Running on the leash is fun. :thud:

I used a long stick to get her to play chase outside yesterday. She loved it. Now she wants more outside play. That made me wonder if Chotu would like his play in the catio?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
33 boxes right now. Lady wants me to get cardio too. Running on the leash is fun. :thud:

I used a long stick to get her to play chase outside yesterday. She loved it. Now she wants more outside play. That made me wonder if Chotu would like his play in the catio?
Thirty-three. Even with our barn compound, we didn't come close to thirty-three. You deserve The Golden Scoop Award, obviously. :flail::goldstar:

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

hi guys... but how many hours does lady howl when you take her out for a walk? and even though chotu has a catio - its not enough - he howls from 5 am till about 10am in varying degrees - and then again in the evening for a few hours - now the sad part is that beasley the beagle - has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure and we are watching her decline slowly - and need to keep things as quiet and peaceful - and chotus yowling just doesnt help - so i am reachign a point where i think - if he want to go out - i might just say i surrender - go for it - i know i would regret it - and will lose him - but this distress is beginning to take its toll on us - and this is not the best time for him to behave like this... i take him on walks - he doesnt want to play AT ALL!
so am really at a loss - and this is affecting our sleep - and i dunno what to do...

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
hi guys... but how many hours does lady howl when you take her out for a walk? and even though chotu has a catio - its not enough - he howls from 5 am till about 10am in varying degrees - and then again in the evening for a few hours - now the sad part is that beasley the beagle - has been diagnosed with congestive heart failure and we are watching her decline slowly - and need to keep things as quiet and peaceful - and chotus yowling just doesnt help - so i am reachign a point where i think - if he want to go out - i might just say i surrender - go for it - i know i would regret it - and will lose him - but this distress is beginning to take its toll on us - and this is not the best time for him to behave like this... i take him on walks - he doesnt want to play AT ALL!
so am really at a loss - and this is affecting our sleep - and i dunno what to do...
I pray you will not let Chotu out. He deserves safe haven and protection.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried any calming treats or supplements? Does he have cat trees to climb up high and explore? What type of things have you used to play with him? Some cats do not understand how to play and need to be taught.

Please, please, please do not let him out. You have been through so much with him. If you let him out, you will surely regret it.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my friend. We went through this howling with Chotu before you moved. I think it’s just going to be a time where you need to take a few steps back. I feel the catio is inciting anxiety in him along with the walks. I am so very sorry your beagle baby is sick. I feel that going back to the calming products you used to transport Chotu whenever he becomes frantic can get him back on a more reserved path for now. This can be temporary. It may even be that he senses that his doggie friend is not feeling well. DO NOT let him out. That is not the answer. There is a process to follow just as you did before and I know you can do it. You didn’t bring Chotu and yourself through such difficult times just to give up now. We can help you work through this. If necessary, there are other alternatives to try but try calming products ( they worked on the airplane) and try keeping him inside. At first you can expect him to feel as he did in younger days but it won’t last. Get over the hump and he will settle again. There is time later to go back to the catio. I have some ideas about adjusting the catio later that may keep you from ever needing to walk him later. Catio runs can be added. Secret tunnels and high pathways. Please keep us updated about everyone. My heart is back with you again.

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
oh i love you all so much - i was tired this morning and 5 hours of chotu crying and nothing i could do to help him - and then dealing with trying to get the beasley to eat - as she is getting harder to cajole towards eating and so i reached out to you guys in pure frustration and vented. i wont let him out ...not in my saner moments - but i think i am exhausted today - and so i took him for a walk and it seemd to make him happier ... he's enjoying his catio now as we speak ...

he knows how to play - so i dont need to teach him and he has a drawerful of toys - so its not that

as for the vet - i know he isnt sick - he just wants to go out ...he wants to roam...

again i am sorry i even thought about letting him go free - i just wanted to drop you a note as this was a worrisome thought - and i am heading to my meditation class ...i need a little chill out time as things have been very hectic here ... too much ...

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh i love you all so much - i was tired this morning and 5 hours of chotu crying and nothing i could do to help him - and then dealing with trying to get the beasley to eat - as she is getting harder to cajole towards eating and so i reached out to you guys in pure frustration and vented. i wont let him out ...not in my saner moments - but i think i am exhausted today - and so i took him for a walk and it seemd to make him happier ... he's enjoying his catio now as we speak ...

he knows how to play - so i dont need to teach him and he has a drawerful of toys - so its not that

as for the vet - i know he isnt sick - he just wants to go out ...he wants to roam...

again i am sorry i even thought about letting him go free - i just wanted to drop you a note as this was a worrisome thought - and i am heading to my meditation class ...i need a little chill out time as things have been very hectic here ... too much ...
*Good on ya* and that's what TCS is here for. Yeah, a leash walk is excellent. A little wand toy play, too. ;) :yess:

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried any calming treats or supplements? Does he have cat trees to climb up high and explore? What type of things have you used to play with him? Some cats do not understand how to play and need to be taught.

Please, please, please do not let him out. You have been through so much with him. If you let him out, you will surely regret it.
yes i w
*Good on ya* and that's what TCS is here for. Yeah, a leash walk is excellent. A little wand toy play, too. ;) :yess:
yes... he does have 3 or four wand toys but is absolutely adamant about going out ...he was with me in the meditation today..its online - so he gets to hear it and i hope it seeps into him ...
i actually gave him calmex today after i read your post - i took a human herbal one too.
he has a cat tree - he has a squeeky mouse he loves chasing and foil balls too ...but as i said in the prvious post ..his focus is on going out - so refuses to engage for more than 10 seconds - i do think he realizes that beasley is not well - and he might not be happy about the amount of time i spend with her ...but i try and spend an equal amount of time with him too..
i love tcs - i have recommended it to several people who have furries creatures...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's so hard when we humans get stressed and have lack of sleep. I do that too. Coming here to the catsite is a great way to get it all out. There will always be good days and bad days. Remember that our animals pick up on our stress levels too. If you and your DH are upset about your dog, Chotu may pick up on that as well.

In 2018 I moved and brought 3 feral cats to live inside my house along with 3 other cats (2 were also former cats) and my dog. So I had 6 cats in a new home ( 3 who had never lived inside before) and an elderly dog. My dog did not adjust well at all. She really struggled with a new home and new surroundings. After 5 months in the new home, she was spent. We had to put her to sleep. She was quite close to one of the former feral cats. They had a similar personalities and enjoyed being with each other. This cat went absolutely bonkers after my dog died. He was beside himself. Animals grieve and feel deeply too.

I am happy you are in a better place now! I do hope that things will be ok and your sweet pup can enjoy his final time with lots of love.

You are in my thoughts.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes i w

yes... he does have 3 or four wand toys but is absolutely adamant about going out ...he was with me in the meditation today..its online - so he gets to hear it and i hope it seeps into him ...
i actually gave him calmex today after i read your post - i took a human herbal one too.
he has a cat tree - he has a squeeky mouse he loves chasing and foil balls too ...but as i said in the prvious post ..his focus is on going out - so refuses to engage for more than 10 seconds - i do think he realizes that beasley is not well - and he might not be happy about the amount of time i spend with her ...but i try and spend an equal amount of time with him too..
i love tcs - i have recommended it to several people who have furries creatures...
He's still a young guy, too, and in time, he may calm down. And yes, Beasley's not being well may be stressing him in ways we can't really know. Cats are very intuitive and sensitive, some experts think more so than humans (and I agree with them) and the centers in their brains responsible for emotion are the closest to humans' of any other species. They are also not only predator but also prey, so they always hide their own illnesses and vulnerabilities. All of this may be at work here. You're doing really well. And thank for the recommendations -- as a TCS member for over 13 years, I appreciate that very much.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It occurred to me to ask if Chotu is being kept sort of away from Beasley while you do the caregiving. I wonder if he wants to be away from him or prefers to offer Beasley comfort. Whenever I am unwell, the cats want to hover around or even on me. I don’t know if Chotu is included in the comforting of Beasley but maybe it would help them both?
I am so very glad that the walk helped. Perhaps that is good for you both. Nature is a great healer and offers peaceful comfort. Another form of meditation. Perhaps the answer is just that simple. You need to give him time to relax with you? I hope that will be the answer and very glad that things are a bit more relaxed now. We all understand the type of stress faced there and we send vibes of peace, healing and love to you all. :vibes::redheartpump::grouphug2:

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone - Chotu, my husband and our husky have moved out to the country on a larger piece of land and here are some pictures of his out for walks - He still gets upset that he cant go out in the early morning and meows all night walking around the house - there is no medical issue - i take him out for 2 long walks during the day - and unfortunately he sleeps in between so.. we have a farmer who also has 3 feral cats that are perpetually outside - so that doesn't help chotu wanting to stay indoors
pheromones to keep him relaxed and chilled out dont work.
Catnip doesnt work
Playing with his box full of toys doesn't work....
but his walk seems to calm him down for a short time -but i wanted to share these pictures - and thank you as always for your support :)

Attachments