Tough Time Dealing With Chotu The Stray

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I believe Chotu will adjust to his new home as long as you stay positive. Give him time to feel comfortable before introducing the dogs. As already mentioned watch how he reacts & work at a pace he is comfortable with.

Make his new world fun with a cat tree or wall shelves, toys & play time. My guys enjoy going outside, but are only allowed when we can supervise. One needs to be on a lead otherwise he gets too excited & runs around chasing everything (& away from us if we try to get him). He also can't tolerate the hot weather. So, I try to create new things for them to explore inside. Just made a bed sheet tent (draped a sheet over furniture, used some boxes to create walls & put a blanket inside). They enjoy napping inside, but also play in there. We also have a nice window area for them to look out with a bird feeder & bird bath.

We have to remember that our animals need mental stimulation since their world is rather small compared to ours. Changing toys, play areas, find activities to keep them entertained will help to prevent boredom & prevent them from acting out.

Chotu seems to prefer being outside because there's lot to explore & its really fun. Its like a child wanting to go to a park or playground. Don't take this to heart. He is very young & has lot of energy. Try to find ways help him be happy in his new home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Excellent advice...will try all of this once we get to canada....
i did dose him with calmex for cats yesterday when we had to go to the indian government quarantine office for the final paperwork that will allow chotu to travel - the calmex seemed to work as he didnt flip out like in the past when he howls and generally bangs up against the carrier - so i am relieved that he will travel with minimum fuss - i will carry the bottle as i might need to calm him down since its 17+ hours.
chotus cute meows have turned to mini growls but i do understand its all these changes that are prompting him to be a little upset however I do play with him in the garden in the evening. and he has a tendency to follow me sometimes. He loves climbing on trees and today he almost fell off a branch but managed to catch himself - he is a little clumsy and so cute...
I am getting funds ready to buy him the cat tree, a cat scratching post and as my partner has little knowledge of cats i am in the process of gently educating him and since he is so creative - he has said he will build the cat tree and maybe a few cat shelves...
again...thank you all for your advice, encouragement and words of wisdom. If any of you are in canada - i would be more than happy to give you a free yoga class ...

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah yes! M maggiedemi is another true kitty lover and has experience with teaching her kitties. It would be great if you were nearby.
I don’t know how to start a go fund me but I bet others can assist you once you get through this. I hope you will be able to stay in touch with us. We’re all going to be hoping for an update. I know you must be getting excited about all the wonderful new things to come. I loved reading about Chotu going through the last paperwork and behaving without crying. The walks in the garden with him sound wonderful. He is learning. You have brought him through a lot and taught him a great deal. My heart is warmed thinking of you both in a grand new life. Thank you for letting us be a part of your life at this special time.:heartshape: May you have a calm and peaceful journey together.:clap2:

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ah yes! M maggiedemi is another true kitty lover and has experience with teaching her kitties. It would be great if you were nearby.
I don’t know how to start a go fund me but I bet others can assist you once you get through this. I hope you will be able to stay in touch with us. We’re all going to be hoping for an update. I know you must be getting excited about all the wonderful new things to come. I loved reading about Chotu going through the last paperwork and behaving without crying. The walks in the garden with him sound wonderful. He is learning. You have brought him through a lot and taught him a great deal. My heart is warmed thinking of you both in a grand new life. Thank you for letting us be a part of your life at this special time.:heartshape: May you have a calm and peaceful journey together.:clap2:
one day left to travel - am sort of of ready - most of the important stuff has been done/taken care of - so the kitten buddy has become super affectionate and follows me around and breaks my heart to leave him behind - chotu on the other hand is super indifferent - but he seems that way towards all of us. but i am guessing that he has been through so much that it will take time for him to come out of his teenage behaviour - he does sort of follow me - but still refuses to stay indoors at night even though it is 45 degrees celsius with a boiling wind that blows pretty much all the time - i do think that i have broken his trust due to some of the things i did (in trying to do what was best for him at the time) - which in hindsight were a huge mistake - but am guessing once we settle into a routine in canada he will return to the affectionate kitty he used to be. i see glimpses of it and then he goes into a bored indifferent state - and i think the weather is really affecting him as he pants quite a lot - but wont stay indoors in my air conditioned cool room - so cant figure it out - anyways tomorrow is d-day...and i will keep him indoors all day as i dont want a situation where he will disappear, as i dont want a situation where he cant be found and doesnt get on that plane with me.
i have packed his toys and am just hoping he doesnt get too traumatised by the flight .
Are you there?

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Panting can mean he is nervous. Maybe that’s why he is being aloof. So sorry about the buddy but remember you can only do so much. Maybe if you return you can retrieve him. When you get there we can ask others here how you can set up a go fund me account. Someone here should know how. I don’t happen to have a computer so I am not familiar with many of those things. I am writing you on a phone. Will you have access to a computer there?

For now just concentrate on packing and getting ready for your trip. I hope it will be an enjoyable flight once you get going and things have settled down and that we can hear from you along the way or once you get there. I’ll be thinking about you both! Tell Chotu I said to be calm and just sleep during the trip.

I love to fly but I don’t get to do it much. The clouds and sky always look so beautiful! Try to relax and have an easy journey my friend! :heartshape::sunshine:

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi..we are in canada... chotu ate through the mesh and ended up in business class. Je scratched and bit the stewardess who was trying to catch him. I ended up keeping him on my lap for more than 11 hours on the plane with the leash tied around my wrist....and giving him calmex every 5 hours to keep him calm. Aircanada gave me a new carrier and would not accept money for it. So all is well that ends well.... now we have hom in the safe room...amd i am trying to play with him and keep him comfortable indoors as we need to introduce him to the dogs which might take a while.... he is super scared i.e.jumpy of everything...including if i cough or sneeze so i want to do the introductions much later...
Are there any recommendations about cat food in canada that is good quality and not too expensive?

Attachments

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh my that was an eventful trip. The good news is that it is over and all behind you now.

You might want to see about getting him some Zylkene if you can get that in Canada. It's a non sedating calming supplement. I have used it on many of my cats. If you cannot find it to order online, try some Composure. It too is a calming non sedating supplement. He may need this for a few weeks while he adjusts.

The first feral I brought inside threw himself against the window and yowled at night for days. I started him on Composure treats ( I had to triple the dosage at first according to package instructions). I then moved to liquid Composure max and mixed it into his wet food. He took it 2x a day for about 6 months!

The Zyklene is a capsule you can open and mix into food. I have a cat on it right now. I use the 75 mg capsules.

As far as food, I am in the US so not sure what they sell in Canada. If Fancy Feast is available, it's ok quality and relatively cheap.

I am just so happy you made it!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
chotu ate through the mesh and ended up in business class. Je scratched and bit the stewardess who was trying to catch him. I ended up keeping him on my lap for more than 11 hours on the plane with the leash tied around my wrist
Oh my! I didn't even know it was possible for cats to chew through the mesh of the carrier! What brand was it? Thanks for telling us, that's good info if I ever fly with my cats. So he escaped into the plane?! I'm so glad you were able to catch him. Well all that is over now, the rest should be easy in comparison! Glad you made it safely to Canada. :clap2:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will put out some information and a link to you to try and get information about the food.As said, Fancy Feast is a reasonable choice. I think the Pate’ is one cats prefer.
Thank goodness you both made it through such an ordeal. Chotu is so smart! He got you a free carrier! But Chotu...... that was a hard way to get it buddy! ;) He is going to be very nervous for a time but when he realizes he is safe he will settle. You are absolutely right about waiting to introduce him to the dogs. One step at a time.
I hope you are settling too. I know it has been a very difficult experience for you. You did it! :yess:Thank you for letting us know you are both safe. :wave3:

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hi Psybug ! Welcome to Canada!

There is a pet supplies chain store with five locations in Barrie. Here is the store locator - type in either the Postal Code or just Barrie ON: PetValu - Store Locator

When we change a cat's food, we need to do it gradually and slowly - otherwise the result will be digestive upset.....usually meaning either diarrhea or constipation.

Hopefully you will have brought some of his usual foods with you - when changing over, we usually add a little (10%) of the new one to the usual (previous) food and, over a period of several days, gradually increase the percentage of the new food - so that after 7-10 days the new food represents 100% of the diet (this is especially important with dry foods).

jcatbird mentioned "Fancy Feast" paté.....that would be this one
This is a well-accepted food with 'simple' (vs exotic) ingredients, and least likely to cause digestive upset.

You're best advised to choose the plain patés with these and to choose only the meat varieties...there are chicken, liver and chicken, beef, beef and liver etc. Stay away from all fish flavours (or risk creating a fish addict).

Fancy Feast can be frequently found on sale at discount - often for $.50 per can. It is also sold at grocery stores/supermarkets.

Another popular, 'simple' food is Friskies. Again, stick with the meat patés:
Friskies will often go on discount too, as well as being available in supermarkets.

In time, you can broaden his menu offerings. I'd suggest keeping things 'simple', again to lessen the opportunities for issues.

Another brand with 'simple'/basic ingredients is Wellness. There are patés here as well - this is one:
I'm hesitant to suggest dry foods (because we know the dangers of using them, especially exclusively) and there are so many, recommendation is difficult. Those stores (PerValu) have their own, better-than-average brand, this one:

That might be a consideration for you.

Let us know how you make out !

surya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That must have been very nerve racking when the kitty got loose on the plane. I hope the bite wound the flight attendant received was not deep. There was a movie about snakes on a plane, I think a movie about cats loose on a plane would be much more entertaining.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi..we are in canada... chotu ate through the mesh and ended up in business class. Je scratched and bit the stewardess who was trying to catch him. I ended up keeping him on my lap for more than 11 hours on the plane with the leash tied around my wrist....and giving him calmex every 5 hours to keep him calm. Aircanada gave me a new carrier and would not accept money for it. So all is well that ends well.... now we have hom in the safe room...amd i am trying to play with him and keep him comfortable indoors as we need to introduce him to the dogs which might take a while.... he is super scared i.e.jumpy of everything...including if i cough or sneeze so i want to do the introductions much later...
Are there any recommendations about cat food in canada that is good quality and not too expensive?
Excellent that you have made the journey! It looks like Jcatbird Jcatbird has very good suggestions on foods of different prices and types that are healthful and widely available where you now are.
I'm surprised Chotu was allowed to travel in the carrier he chewed through the mesh on! Airlines are pretty strict about carriers. It looks as if the complimentary carrier is a good sturdy one. They should all have metal bars rather than cloth screens for far travel. The mesh is okay for calm cat trips to the vet and such, but not for international air travel...anyway, very glad he is safe and that you are home! *I like the carpet, by the way.*

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this is probably wrong of me, but I laughed out loud reading about Chotu's adventures on the plane! Where was his carrier before he escaped, was it by your seat or elsewhere in the plane? I'm trying to visualize this entire scenario!

I would recommend keeping out a bowl of dry food 24/7 so he doesn't stress about food. You should feed him the same food he's used to, there are enough changes in his life right now. I agree with giving him Fancy Feast canned food. . The only dry food I would advise against is Meow Mix, which is extremely poor quality. Also, give him Temptation treats and catnip toys, this will cheer him up. Get a wand toy and a laser toy to play interactively with him. This will help him work off some energy and stave off boredom.

I look forward to your updates