Tough Time Dealing With Chotu The Stray

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh my that was an eventful trip. The good news is that it is over and all behind you now.

You might want to see about getting him some Zylkene if you can get that in Canada. It's a non sedating calming supplement. I have used it on many of my cats. If you cannot find it to order online, try some Composure. It too is a calming non sedating supplement. He may need this for a few weeks while he adjusts.

The first feral I brought inside threw himself against the window and yowled at night for days. I started him on Composure treats ( I had to triple the dosage at first according to package instructions). I then moved to liquid Composure max and mixed it into his wet food. He took it 2x a day for about 6 months!

The Zyklene is a capsule you can open and mix into food. I have a cat on it right now. I use the 75 mg capsules.

As far as food, I am in the US so not sure what they sell in Canada. If Fancy Feast is available, it's ok quality and relatively cheap.

I am just so happy you made it!
Oh my! I didn't even know it was possible for cats to chew through the mesh of the carrier! What brand was it? Thanks for telling us, that's good info if I ever fly with my cats. So he escaped into the plane?! I'm so glad you were able to catch him. Well all that is over now, the rest should be easy in comparison! Glad you made it safely to Canada. :clap2:
Excellent that you have made the journey! It looks like @Jcatbird has very good suggestions on foods of different prices and types that are healthful and widely available where you now are.
I'm surprised Chotu was allowed to travel in the carrier he chewed through the mesh on! Airlines are pretty strict about carriers. It looks as if the complimentary carrier is a good sturdy one. They should all have metal bars rather than cloth screens for far travel. The mesh is okay for calm cat trips to the vet and such, but not for international air travel...anyway, very glad he is safe and that you are home! *I like the carpet, by the way.*
Ironically my carrier is more sturdy than the free one they provided...its a pvc leather and.the mesh is plastic...whereas the carrier they gave me was complete cloth and chotu would decimate it in a second if he wanted.

Thank you for the food recommendations. Will check them out. I have also heard of orijin...@jcatbird is this something i can also explore?
msaimee msaimee the carrier was right under my seat and the carrier was super expensive and as per aircanada and airline specifications. Will share the brand as i need to review them on amazon.

Chotus behaviour is super affectionate. He stays on the bed and sleeps with me but when i leave he sits under the bed...which is fine. He barely meows and tends to cuddle alot. No howling or yowling. So not sure i need to dose him with calmex.
I dont like to leave him alone as he goes under the bed and i dont want him watching the birds through the window as he will want to get out...so he is kept in the master bedroom which has a bathroom and his food and kitty litter are kept on oppositte sides of the room. I play as much as i can and spend as much time with him as i can...now i just need to wait to get him comfortable so that he can interact with the dogs...

Attachments

ZepMom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I could definitely see a child's book about Chotu adventure. Especially since he escaped from his carrier. I'm certain it was quite stressful at the time. However I think children would find his story very interesting. Your journey is definitely one that could help children understand empathy & compassion for others.

Sending positive thoughts as Chotu settles into his new home. So glad you decided to take him with you!

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I left chotu alone for a little longer than planned as we were trying to buy food, toys and take care of household stuff...and came back to find that he had urinated on the bed. From prior experience i know that he does it when he is anxious frustrated and wants his freedom.... aside from the obvious solution of feeding him where he urinated and keeping him in the bathroom when left unsupervised...please tell me what to do and how to handle this behaviour?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I left chotu alone for a little longer than planned as we were trying to buy food, toys and take care of household stuff...and came back to find that he had urinated on the bed. From prior experience i know that he does it when he is anxious frustrated and wants his freedom.... aside from the obvious solution of feeding him where he urinated and keeping him in the bathroom when left unsupervised...please tell me what to do and how to handle this behaviour?
He is still settling into your new home. He also has been through so much. He needs time, love and patience. I really would look into the calming supplements I recommended or try the Calmex when you know you will be gone. I am sure he is afraid and scared. It has only been a few days. Be sure not to scold him. This is a new and difficult situation for him.

When I had a cat that urinated on the bed once, I spread a shower curtain liner on the clean bedding and placed a bowl of food there. I had to do this daily for awhile.

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is still settling into your new home. He also has been through so much. He needs time, love and patience. I really would look into the calming supplements I recommended or try the Calmex when you know you will be gone. I am sure he is afraid and scared. It has only been a few days. Be sure not to scold him. This is a new and difficult situation for him.

When I had a cat that urinated on the bed once, I spread a shower curtain liner on the clean bedding and placed a bowl of food there. I had to do this daily for awhile.
Lol....cant scold a cat...i was too dismayed and really empathise with him so theres no queation of scolding him. The only proble. Is that now i have to keep him in the bathroom so that i can cook food and do household work otherwise its like i am literally being held ransom here. I was considering taking him outdoors on the leash so that we could enjoy a view and feel less jailed but that would prompt him to pine for the outdoors when i want to keep him indoors...

No canned food....dry kibble orijen, and trying a raw food diet that comes highly recommended... and nutro cuts in gravy.

I realise from being a tree climbing feral to being contained in one or 2 rooms can be traumatising not to mention boring. I am reconsidering the indoor cat plan as i want him to be outside so we will get a long lead that would allow him to enjoy both indoors and outdoors while supervised however as for now...if i am away for any length of time i put him in the bathroom with toys, water and the carrier so that i dont have to deal with the danger of urinating whilst i am away... i imagine this is ok right?

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Money money money...must be funny....in a rich mans world

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When he has settled into his new home, you can take him out on a lead and harness as I do with my cat Sonny. Don't use a collar, use a harness, make sure it is the rght size and fits snugly.. Cats can very easily jerk their heads out of a collar and get loose. A harness goes around the chest.

Yes, once you take him out, he will likely meow alot and want to go back outside. I go through this with Sonny when the weather is nice and I take him out. He'll meow more often and go to the door or try to run out the door. If you have the time, take him out daily as weather allows, and he'll get used to the routine. I don't take Sonny out every day, so he gets quite vocal at times, but I wont deprive him of the pleasure in going out when I do take him out.

20150720_175707.jpg

Last edited:

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When he has settled into his new home, you can take him out on a lead and harness as I do with my cat Sonny. Don't use a collar, use a harness, make sure it is the rght size and fits snugly.. Cats can very easily jerk their heads out of a collar and get loose. A harness goes around the chest.

Yes, once you take him out, he will likely meow alot and want to go back outside. I go through this with Sonny when the weather is nice and I take him out. He'll meow more often and go to the door or try to run out the door. If you have the time, take him out daily as weather allows, and he'll get used to the routine. I don't take Sonny out every day, so he gets quite vocal at times, but I wont deprive him of the pleasure in going out when I do take him out.

View attachment 287925
I have the harness... but its only been 4 days here...will think about the harness walk in nature bit... thanks...part of me wants to let him out but i know that post that he would be impossible to keep indoors...

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please please please do not let him outside. He will run away. Cats by nature will try to get back to their old territory even if it's thousands of miles away. Cats need to be contained for 4-6 weeks in their new location before they can be allowed outside. Also remember that in this new location, there will be other dangers for him. New predators, cars, people, etc...

You can look to take purchase a cat tent where he could go out for supervised visits.

Learning to become an inside only cat takes time. The first feral I brought inside, took a year to adjust. I have had him inside now for 6 years and he wants no part of the outside world. I also have brought in 4 others. All have learned to adjust to living inside only.

A safe harness is a good idea, but it's way too soon to start allowing him time outside. He needs time to adjust to his new inside home and the people and other animals inside. Time and patience are your friend. He will adjust. Just take things slowly.

Psybug

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Please please please do not let him outside. He will run away. Cats by nature will try to get back to their old territory even if it's thousands of miles away. Cats need to be contained for 4-6 weeks in their new location before they can be allowed outside. Also remember that in this new location, there will be other dangers for him. New predators, cars, people, etc...

You can look to take purchase a cat tent where he could go out for supervised visits.

Learning to become an inside only cat takes time. The first feral I brought inside, took a year to adjust. I have had him inside now for 6 years and he wants no part of the outside world. I also have brought in 4 others. All have learned to adjust to living inside only.

A safe harness is a good idea, but it's way too soon to start allowing him time outside. He needs time to adjust to his new inside home and the people and other animals inside. Time and patience are your friend. He will adjust. Just take things slowly.
Not going to let him outside at all for a very long time... i hear you...i brought him from india to save him from the same fate as his sister skittles...hes currently living in theaster bedroom and bathroom (where litter and food are kept at opposite sides of the bathroom). We have done little peek a boo sessions with beasley (beagle) and luna (our blind husky who docile and curious).

Everyday i take him to explore the house when the dogs are out for a walk amd he usually runs back to the safe room but today he actually explored, smelling the scents... i was so proud of him...
Am so relieved you guys are here to help me figure things put and hes progressing a little faster than i expected. He sleeps on top of my partner and me taking turns so this is a good sign...as he has to get used to him also.. my partner feeds him one meal and has also started playing with him as a way to build trust and a bond....

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such good news! He really is adapting quickly. You are doing so well with him! Soon he will forget all about outside! He just wants love and he has found it with you and your partner.