Toru has entered a phase I can only describe as "berserk"

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've had Toru for about three weeks now, and he's my first cat. So far there has been three stages. First he was hiding and hissing at me. After about a week he relaxed and his demeanor changed. He became very sweet, wanting to be pet and cuddled a lot. Now he seems to be entering a new phase, where he's not as interested in cuddling and is starting to do act a bit rambuncious. It started with generally jumping in cabinets and fridges and places he's not supposed to go, and now he's charging across the place at full speed, running up and down the stairs like he's chasing something or being chased. I have a variety of toys and I play with him a good bit. His favorite is a feather wand toy, and when he started this behavior I figured the kitty has a lot of pinned up energy, so let's play. I can get him spinning in circles and jumping around after the thing for about 15 minutes before I start to get bored with it. He usually insists I continue at this point. But this crazy behavior has taken a new level today and I'm almost wondering if he knows I'll bring out the feather toy to get him to settle down when he acts crazy.

He's also jumping up on the railing of the stairs leading to the basement. If he fell I don't think it'd be a dangerous fall for a cat. If he walked all the way to the end of the railing where the fall is highest it'd probably be about a 7 to 8 foot drop. If he did fall it would probably be higher up on the staircase where there's less of a fall. He's messed around at the bottom of the rail and fallen through to the stairs before and been fine. Still seems like all this charging around and jumping up on rails could lead to an accident.

Anyway I can get him to settle down?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How old is he? Is his fixed?
Oh, yeah, this could be it. I didn't think of that. I'm new at this! I adopted Toru because he was listed as a Russian Blue (he's probably a mix) which have hypoallergenic properties. Decided to take a chance make the commitment to adopt him. The lady at the shelter who I spoke to on the phone did not mention he wasn't neutered and I found out when I got there. I have an appointment to get him neutered next month. He's about one year, three months old right now. Can I expect this kind of behavior for the next month then?

sandy24c

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've had Toru for about three weeks now, and he's my first cat. So far there has been three stages. First he was hiding and hissing at me. After about a week he relaxed and his demeanor changed. He became very sweet, wanting to be pet and cuddled a lot. Now he seems to be entering a new phase, where he's not as interested in cuddling and is starting to do act a bit rambuncious. It started with generally jumping in cabinets and fridges and places he's not supposed to go, and now he's charging across the place at full speed, running up and down the stairs like he's chasing something or being chased. I have a variety of toys and I play with him a good bit. His favorite is a feather wand toy, and when he started this behavior I figured the kitty has a lot of pinned up energy, so let's play. I can get him spinning in circles and jumping around after the thing for about 15 minutes before I start to get bored with it. He usually insists I continue at this point. But this crazy behavior has taken a new level today and I'm almost wondering if he knows I'll bring out the feather toy to get him to settle down when he acts crazy.

He's also jumping up on the railing of the stairs leading to the basement. If he fell I don't think it'd be a dangerous fall for a cat. If he walked all the way to the end of the railing where the fall is highest it'd probably be about a 7 to 8 foot drop. If he did fall it would probably be higher up on the staircase where there's less of a fall. He's messed around at the bottom of the rail and fallen through to the stairs before and been fine. Still seems like all this charging around and jumping up on rails could lead to an accident.

this is what i called crazy time. it is normal. the running around charging at things. i read everything i could get my hands on before i got minnie cat. i had read about 12 books, novels and several magezines, and blogs etc. i knew the crazy time was coming. now minnie has been here since march 20th. she was a very sick little kitty when the rescue brought her. found out she had 5 very painful teeth that needed to come out. she is so different. but she has alway run crazy even when she was sick.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like he's settled into his new home, and is now just being a silly, energetic young cat. It's good that you're getting him neutered soon, as he probably is longing to find a "girlfriend". Neutering will get rid of that urge, plus hopefully prevent him from doing any territorial spraying.

Some people say spaying/neutering makes a cat lazy, but I think it depends on the cat, so don't expect a great change in his energy level after he's neutered. Once he gets a couple years older, he will probably start to sleep more and run around less. But, again, depends on the cat.

Since you have a high energy cat, here's a TCS article you might find helpful: How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice and the link to the article. I bought a cat tree but seems like I could probably give Toru a few designated places to ignore. I just ordered a collapsible tunnel.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh, yeah, this could be it. I didn't think of that. I'm new at this! I adopted Toru because he was listed as a Russian Blue (he's probably a mix) which have hypoallergenic properties. Decided to take a chance make the commitment to adopt him. The lady at the shelter who I spoke to on the phone did not mention he wasn't neutered and I found out when I got there. I have an appointment to get him neutered next month. He's about one year, three months old right now. Can I expect this kind of behavior for the next month then?
I have two Russian Blues. They were absolute terrors at Toru's age. They're just a very intelligent, high energy breed, and one that needs a lot of play and stimulation. My boys were always into mischief (especially Grischa, who earned the nicknames 'Monster' and 'Trouble' with good reason :lol:), despite having each other to play with. I can well imagine Toru, being on his own and not fixed being, being that much worse.

Grischa has had big pictures off walls (breaking the glass in the process), broken ornaments, and even managed to pull my bedroom curtain rail off the wall on three separate occasions! He's now 3, and has calmed down a lot, thankfully, but he's still a terror on occasion.

Lots of playtime is definitely essential, and puzzle toys and other ways to make him use his intelligence sensibly are a real help. This breed also loves to climb, so big cat trees and safe high places are a good move.

Russian Blues are also wonderfully affectionate, cuddly and loyal and are an absolute joy to own. I was taken aback by their intelligence and energy levels when my boys were younger, but I absolutely wouldn't be without them for a second. They're very special, gorgeous cats, but be prepared for chaos for a little while until Toru matures.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Just being young and celebrating his freedom to run and be crazy I expect. It probably is just a phase and it is highly unlikely he will hurt himself so I would just step out of the way, and let him go. But he definitely needs lots of playtime with a wand or laser and toys like springs and balls that he can chase.

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two Russian Blues. They were absolute terrors at Toru's age. They're just a very intelligent, high energy breed, and one that needs a lot of play and stimulation. My boys were always into mischief (especially Grischa, who earned the nicknames 'Monster' and 'Trouble' with good reason :lol:), despite having each other to play with. I can well imagine Toru, being on his own and not fixed being, being that much worse.

Grischa has had big pictures off walls (breaking the glass in the process), broken ornaments, and even managed to pull my bedroom curtain rail off the wall on three separate occasions! He's now 3, and has calmed down a lot, thankfully, but he's still a terror on occasion.

Lots of playtime is definitely essential, and puzzle toys and other ways to make him use his intelligence sensibly are a real help. This breed also loves to climb, so big cat trees and safe high places are a good move.

Russian Blues are also wonderfully affectionate, cuddly and loyal and are an absolute joy to own. I was taken aback by their intelligence and energy levels when my boys were younger, but I absolutely wouldn't be without them for a second. They're very special, gorgeous cats, but be prepared for chaos for a little while until Toru matures.
Thanks for the advice on Russian Blues! I will prepare myself for a bit of chaos for a while, LOL, and I have no doubt it will be worth it. Can you recommend any interactive toys that would occupy his time when he's alone? As I mentioned he absolutely loves the feather wand. Also have a ball maze thing which I usually have to coax him into playing with.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have ball track towers, some Catit Senses play circuits, a Cat's Meow, a SmartyKat hidden mouse cat toy, a Catit Senses Roundabout, a PetSafe Frolics Bolt laser toy, a self propelled biggish ball toy...um, I think that's about it. I rotate them in and out for variety. You have to watch the Cat's Meow toy in particular because they can pull the stick part off, and they're not all safe for unsupervised play (the ball tracks are pretty safe, and so is the laser one, but the others need you to be a little aware of what's going on.

I also have a bunch of different feather sticks and pole-and-line toys (like Da Bird), and different attachments for some of them. I wouldn't be without a laser pointer either, as that's great for a low effort play session for you.

Food puzzle toys would be good too, but I can't use them because my labrador takes over when food is involved :lol:

None of the mechanical toys will hold interest for a long time, but they are a way to get a little peace for a while.

I also have a ton of self-play toys, mostly catnip or valerian stuffed. They love ones that have squeaky microchips in too, or anything that has feathers, wool/felt or fur.

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

Bored Cat? What Cat Owners Need To Know (including 10 Actionable Tips)

Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A4A7UOU/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DSSA54C/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DT2WL26/?tag=thecatsite

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP7F8YC/?tag=thecatsite

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all those recommendations! And those articles are very helpful. I had a missing laser pointer and was being stubborn about not ordering a new one, but finally found it in my car. Toru definitely went wild for it. I made a point about making him go wild for a while before feeding him and he's been sound asleep tonight! But I'm sure there will be plenty of adventures ahead. :)

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi & :welcomesign:,

I have no experience with Russian Blues but I do have experience with crazy hyper cats (& a half siamese twerp.)

1) outside time is like Ritalin for hyper cats! A catio and some bird feeders would be ideal. My twerp gets 2 hours outside everyday and a couple short walks in that time. I also have a few bird feeders for him.

2) tire out the mind, you tire out the body. Try puzzles and interactive toys. I wouldn’t worry to much about his staircase banister dare devil walks ..... boys! 🙄 I have special interactive toys I pull out whenever it rains or I am sick. You might want to make your own rainy day box (he likes to play in the box.) Also I got Jackie the tallest cat tree I could find. If you have a ‘monkey cat’ that lives to climb, give up and buy him a 7 or 9 foot tall cat tree. 😉

3) I know you hate hearing this but the best way to tire out hyper kitties is a playmate with the same amount of energy. If you can, get him a buddy.

4) give it time. He is settling in but still learning the rules to his new house. At his age he is a teenager until he is 2-2.5 years old. Like every teenager, he is full of energy & pushing boundaries. Be sure to strictly enforce toys not handsand things should be fine. I Suggest the bird or the cat dancer.

Jackie (white/grey) visits his brother every weekend so he can play fight with his brother (panther) & they love it!!! They love to wrestle! (They are a bonded pair so we are just keeping the relationship going.) He lives for his daily outside time and is a terror if he doesn’t get it for 2 days or more.

Attachments

ToruPop

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi & :welcomesign:,

I have no experience with Russian Blues but I do have experience with crazy hyper cats (& a half siamese twerp.)

1) outside time is like Ritalin for hyper cats! A catio and some bird feeders would be ideal. My twerp gets 2 hours outside everyday and a couple short walks in that time. I also have a few bird feeders for him.

2) tire out the mind, you tire out the body. Try puzzles and interactive toys. I wouldn’t worry to much about his staircase banister dare devil walks ..... boys! 🙄 I have special interactive toys I pull out whenever it rains or I am sick. You might want to make your own rainy day box (he likes to play in the box.) Also I got Jackie the tallest cat tree I could find. If you have a ‘monkey cat’ that lives to climb, give up and buy him a 7 or 9 foot tall cat tree. 😉

3) I know you hate hearing this but the best way to tire out hyper kitties is a playmate with the same amount of energy. If you can, get him a buddy.

4) give it time. He is settling in but still learning the rules to his new house. At his age he is a teenager until he is 2-2.5 years old. Like every teenager, he is full of energy & pushing boundaries. Be sure to strictly enforce toys not handsand things should be fine. I Suggest the bird or the cat dancer.

Jackie (white/grey) visits his brother every weekend so he can play fight with his brother (panther) & they love it!!! They love to wrestle! (They are a bonded pair so we are just keeping the relationship going.) He lives for his daily outside time and is a terror if he doesn’t get it for 2 days or more.
I've been trying to find a harness that would allow me to take him out (started a thread on that elsewhere). I'll definitely take him out once he is adjusted and I can make sure I've got an escape free harness he's comfortable with. And I might think about getting him a playmate after I get him fixed next month!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Escape proof harness 🤣🤣🤣 Jackie has the same size of neck & head and has escaped 4 different types. I wound up buying him a surgical onesie that I feel guilty about, every time I put him in it. Nick who is bulkier doesn’t escape his kitty holster harness. Jackie can escape his harness in under 2 seconds as soon as he gets his leash taunt.🙄

If you wind up getting him a buddy, just do a slow introduction & they should do great. There is an article on this site about how to introduce cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Since he sounds like a hyper and enthusiastic kitten, taking him outdoors might lead to him pestering to go outdoors or worse, trying to dart out the door at every opportunity. Some times it’s best to the outside as a slightly scary and unexplored world.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Toru going berserk means he's well adjusted and trusts you completely, he made your home his home where can be himself. Amazing in just a few weeks. There are many ways he can be occupied since you are willing to put the effort. I think it's now time for setting rules of the house if you want them. For railings, if it's OK for you but you are only afraid he might be in danger, you can wrap sisal rope on it at intervals so that he can have sound base to hold with claws. If you don't want him on the counter in the trash etc. You can start setting your own boundaries. As others pointed out, he's still in his adolescence mentally and physically. Thart means great capacity for improvement and and also stubbornness. Good luck and have great fun

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
🤣 great capacity for stubbornness 🤣 for over 6 months I tried everything to train Jackie to not attack my legs when I’m on the toilet! Then I gave up and put a couple of wand toys in the bathroom. Now he gets playtime when I use the bathroom (his litter boxes are in the bathroom.) With intelligent cats, they often train you!

About outside time, I suggest the same time every day. If you make it routine it should cut down on the whining. Jackie gets cookies/treats when I take off his harness.