Tortie, Torbie or Calico?

teegs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Miss Merri here is a domestic shorthair but can't work out if her colouring is a tortie, torbie or calico. I suspect she is a torbie but hoping someone can confirm :)

She is predominantly grey with cream markings and a white chest. Her back is blotchy, tail is striped and she has dots on her tummy.

Thanks
Tegan

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
In a way she is tortie, diluted tortie. But she is also tabby, and does has white, this makes the label quite more complicated.

Also, the red spots are enough well definied to make her into a calico, if it werent for the tabby.

Diluted torbie and white?   Diluted Calico tabby?

Im not sure, really. Sorry!

Btw, I think the tabby pattern as such is the mackerel, tigrered type.  Many mackerel and classical tabbies do carry spotted tummies.  So we deem them from their side look, not the tummy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teegs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks Stefan! I couldn't work it out either, so going with eclectic :)

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My guess is she is a patched tabby. The different colors are to well defined (if the photos are correct) to be a tortie. With tabby markings she wouldn't be considered a calico I don't think, hence the patched tabby name. The two colors look almost the same - it is sometimes difficult for breeders to tell unless they know the pedigree.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

My guess is she is a patched tabby. The different colors are to well defined (if the photos are correct) to be a tortie. With tabby markings she wouldn't be considered a calico I don't think, hence the patched tabby name. The two colors look almost the same - it is sometimes difficult for breeders to tell unless they know the pedigree.
I'll cast my vote with you.  At first, from the first pic, I thought....well...torbie, but the red and black colors are really too large and distinct to be what I understand is a torbie.  Patched tabbie certainly describes her to a tee. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

teegs

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looked up patched tabby and that does describe her look. Thanks! She doesn't have the traditional 'M' marking on her forehead of a tabby but perhaps her paint stripe (which I love) is the same thing. Thanks again!

eck1kaylie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I can see a teeny bit of an 'M' on her forehead in one of those pictures. Maybe it's just hard to see because the colors are a little diluted?

I've never heard of a patched tabby before, I always assumed they were just torbies!

She's gorgeous, whatever she is