Tortie, torbie, calico?

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure what to call my cat lol.

Instead of explaining, I will post photos!

===============================================

Her as a kitten (you couldn't see much white)

She has a black heart shaped patch, rather her tummy is more patchy whereas her back is rather blended.

She also has a leg (with orange tabby stripes) on it.
(no photo)

And all four white paws (pink pads).

===============================================

Also, is there any way in deducing what her mom or dad may have looked like to end up with these genetics?

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pretty! I love that heart-shaped patch.

A torbie is a cat with tabby markings (stripes, spots, or ticking) as well as patches, but to be a torbie they have to have the tabby markings in both their red and black patches. Since her black patches are solid she's not a torbie.

I was told that in the US tortoiseshells have more of a blended pattern and calicos have distinct patches, so I guess it depends on whether she has more blended/brindle markings or more patched. In other places I think tortoiseshells with white are called calicos?

Some interesting info here: http://www.messybeast.com/tricolours.htm

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no expert, but my understanding is that (in layman's terms) a calico is essentially a white cat with red and black patches, while a tortie is essentially a black cat with red blended in, and a torbie would need to have tabby markings in an otherwise tortie cat. If that understanding is correct, then what you have is a calico.

Whatever the "right" definition is, you have a lovely girl.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Various associations would classify her a bit different. This is my opinion - she's a tortie & white (and LOVE the heart too - you should show her in HHP classes!)

Tortie - black and red coloring (red will always show a little tabby markings)

Calico - mainly a white cat with patches of black and red

Torbie (perfer to call it a Patched Tabby) - basically a brown, blue, or silver tabby that also has red tabby in the coat.

The biggest difference between a tortie and a patched tabby is whether the color is black or the brown/blue/silver color.

As far as genetics in order to get a tortie/calico one parent has to be carrying the black color gene and one has the red color gene - either or both could have white to produce a calico.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That heart shaped patch is just about the most adorable thing I have ever seen. You have a beautiful baby.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OH and I agree fully that the heart shaped patch is just fabulous!! And she wears it in JUST THE RIGHT PLACE!!

I would be inclined to call her a calico!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Torbie (perfer to call it a Patched Tabby) - basically a brown, blue, or silver tabby that also has red tabby in the coat.
I prefer to use torbie because it sounds weird to me when I combine patched tabby with my cat's color/pattern-- brown ticked patched tabby and white (or is that brown patched ticked tabby?) just sounds weird to me!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nolia

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What's HHP?

Brown Patched Ticked Torbie? Still not understanding, why is she brown patched? What does "ticked" mean?

She has orange stripes on her right hind leg (much like a red tabby). Apparently one of her parents were mainly white but had black and a patch of stripped cream. Any idea what the other parent would look like? He brother was completely black.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't use Calico or Torbie/patched tabby here.

She would be a tortie tabby & white (if she is indeed tabby, I'm seeing an M on the forehead), or just tortie & white.

The heart is just adorable.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nolia - YOUR cat is not a patched tabby - its a tortie and white (or calico if you want to call her that). The patched ticked tabby was another member's cat - I was replying back to her.

HHP is household pet (mixed breed) for showing purposes - the class they would be in. Ticked tabby is like an Aby - where the hairs are ticked and banded. There are 4 types of tabby markings in cats.

1. Classic (bullseye pattern on the side, or circles)
2. Mackerel (fish stripes - vertical on the sides)
3. Spotted (like the Maus, Ocicats, Bengals)
4. Ticked (banded hairs like an Aby or rabbit)

Amanda - read what my first reply was - the red color will always show the tabby markings but that doesn't make the cat a tabby - its the brown, silver, blue that determines if its a tabby. If the cat has black and red (tabby) its a tortie or calico if its got white.

bunnelina

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a lovely cat! That heart is just fantastic!

I was just wondering the same thing about my cat Wendy. She has similar coloring: solid black patches blended with red tiger ones. But she has more white on her face, chest, belly, and legs than Nolia's cat. Her whole back and tail are colored, as are a couple of her legs and some little spots on her paws. Our vet calls her a calico, but might she be a tortie and white, instead? Is it the amount of white or is it the type of patches that makes the difference?

Any thoughts from the experts? Thank you!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Associations use calico and tortie & white interchangable. I think one said we really should be using tortie and white because you look at the color on the cat first - and the white really is not a "color".

Bicolors (two colors) would be (for show purposes) listed as Black Bicolor, Blue Bicolor, Red Tabby Bicolor, etc.

Personally if the cat is over 50% white I call it a calico; under that amount - tortie & white.

For your cat - she would be a tortie & white.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always thought Dusty was a patched tabby. She doesn't really have any white, her chin is a light gray. Maybe she is a torbie? I love her little orange spot on her head.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dusty is a fine example of a Brown Patched Tabby - NOT a torbie. She has brown tabby in the coat - not black like a tortie. Can you see the difference?

Patched tabbies don't have to have white - its not required. Its the same as having a normal all brown tabby or a normal brown tabby and white. If a patched tabby had white, then it would simply be a patched tabby and white.

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What's the difference between torbie and patched tabby?

I entered my cat in a show as a patched tabby and one of the judges said I should have put torbie. So the next show we went to I entered her as a torbie and none of the judges corrected me, so I registered her with TICA as a torbie.