Tortie or Calico??

pendraig

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The color naming depends on the cat registry you go with and the country you are in but generally speaking in the US we'd call her a calico as she has white markings on her.

Strictly speaking torbies are red and brown patched with stripes (or red and silver with stripes) and torties are the solid (non-agouti, ie no stripes) version. It can be confusing as the red almost always has stripes to it but that's because of the way the hair shaft in non-agouti red works.

Dawn

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's very cute! HAHAHA I was looking in the Photobucket pics and couldn't figure out WHAT ANIMAL was on her head LOL.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call her tortie and white as her color is brindled and not patched

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pendraig

The color naming depends on the cat registry you go with and the country you are in
Exactly, here she would be a Tortie and White

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is gorgeous!!!

I always heard true calicoes had all white on their bellies and legs and most of the patches are on their backs and heads, so I would go with tortico (cute, I've never heard that before) or tortie and white. Little One (in my siggy) I think of as a true tortie.

Whatever she is, she is a beautiful girl!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fidget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, thankyou all so much for your replies! It seems by the variety of answers that there's no easy definitive one, so I guess I'll just call her tortico then as it seems a more open term than tortoiseshell or calico. Boo & I are much obliged to you all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fidget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I know it's been a long time since I posted this, but for anyone interested in future I just found this today which explains it better than anything I found when I made the post -

The difference between a calico and a tortoiseshell is this:

With a calico, there is a significant amount of white, and the two colors are broken up into distinct patches. This has to do with the interaction of white spotting.

With a tortoiseshell, the three colors are blended and don't form distinct patches. A tortoiseshell may have significant portions of white as well, but the remaining colors are blended (this particular pattern is called a tortoiseshell and white).

A torbie, or patched tabby, is a tortoiseshell where the tabby pattern is very distinct all over the cat. A calico or tortoiseshell may have distinct tabby pattern on the red or cream patches (has to do with another gene we won't get into at this juncture), but no patterning on the other color. This isn't a torbie. A torbie is clearly patterned all over the cat -- though never on the white. http://fanciers.com/cat-faqs/tricolors.shtml (What is the difference between a Calico and a Tortoiseshell? And what in heck is a Torbie?)

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pendraig

The color naming depends on the cat registry you go with and the country you are in
Exactly, here she would be a Tortie and White
Same in the UK.  Torties are mingled red & black, tortie & white have white and the red & black tends to develop in larger patches as in the cat in the photo.