Torn With What To Do/dallas Love

doloskeeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I working at the Parking Spot at Dallas Love Field and there is a black intact male, that appears to be about 8-9 months old. He is friendly, will let people pet him, he greets me in the morning, follows me to my car, rolls on his back, grooms himself in front of people easily. Several of us have been feeding him. He is a crier. He cries to be fed, cries to be pet. Usually, enough of that and he goes away. Now he hangs by the shed (where employees clock in) almost non-stop. He sleeps in the bushes, wakes up, cries, cries, cries. The problem is I cannot be there every day to feed him and some employees are on board to feed him, others are not. Some of the employees don't like cats period. I bought a trap and plan on trapping him as soon as I get the trap to have him neutered. My original plan was to return him to the site but I am very concerned that I cannot be there every day to feed him and that management will say he has to go. There is at least one other cat on the property but this cat is very feral and will not go near anyone. I don't know whether I should return him to the site or take him home, if he is not HIV or leukemia positive. I have three other cats, two indoor, and one indoor/outdoor. I've given thought to trying to make him a house cat but that just seems like so much work because I would have to get the other cats to accept him, or I have thought of confining him in the garage for about four weeks and relocating him outside. If he were confined for four weeks, I feel like my other neutered male will be used to him by the time I let him out of confinement. At least this way I can be available as his caretaker.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I do know that I cannot leave him unneutered because it's only a matter of time before he sprays and then management really will tell us he has to go.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Frankly, I would worry more about returning a friendly cat, even neutered, who might not be wanted than allowing the feral to be there. If someone really objects to him, he is much easier to access and harm or "relocate". I would try to take him home or otherwise find a home for him if possible. A couple other women and I had a small colony at work years ago which consisted of what were probably dumped pets, in retrospect. Management did not care, but eventually plans came to renovate the parking lot they accessed and we had to get them out. There will be an adjustment period, but I do think that he should not be returned.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am really hoping you take him from there. He is at high risk for ill will and injury. Being friendly is wonderful but it could make him an easy target. I am relieved you want to save him. Neutering him will make anything else you want to do much easier. If you keep him there are many tricks you can use to get him and your other kitties to make friends with each other. I am in a position where I have to blend new cats and kittens with my existing kitties on a regular basis and it just takes introducing them to each other gradually and with your support. Some become very bonded to each other. Your plan of starting the new kitty in the garage would probably work out very well. It will give the others a chance to sniff out the new guy and they will probably get curious about him. If you do keep him there are many people on TCS that will be here to help you with any questions or concerns. If you decide he can’t stay then please do not return him to his current location. There are lots of people who would care about him and take him in. He is a Love Field cat! No wonder he is so loving! Lol Please keep us updated. We will all be hoping that things go very well for you and the kitties.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friendly cats should be adopted to homes whenever possible, and not returned to questionable locations. Only very feral cats should be returned in those situations, because they'll stay away from people. Of course sometimes it's unavoidable, but it sounds like you have a good plan for keeping him.

Do you have a spare bathroom/bedroom/walk-in closet? It might be better to keep him in a smaller area before giving him free roam of the garage. If no spare rooms, a large dog crate should do. If you just let him loose in the garage he might hide somewhere you can't reach him, and it's better if you can keep a close eye on him after his surgery.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Friendly cats should be adopted to homes whenever possible, and not returned to questionable locations. Only very feral cats should be returned in those situations, because they'll stay away from people.
:yeah: From your description of his behavior, he's not feral; he needs to be trapped, neutered and homed. If you're not able to keep him, it would be best to find a rescue organization or no-kill shelter in your area willing and able to find him a home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

doloskeeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Frankly, I would worry more about returning a friendly cat, even neutered, who might not be wanted than allowing the feral to be there. If someone really objects to him, he is much easier to access and harm or "relocate". I would try to take him home or otherwise find a home for him if possible. A couple other women and I had a small colony at work years ago which consisted of what were probably dumped pets, in retrospect. Management did not care, but eventually plans came to renovate the parking lot they accessed and we had to get them out. There will be an adjustment period, but I do think that he should not be returned.
I really appreciate your frankness. It’s been raining cats and dogs here in Dallas (no pun intended) and to see this little guy just sit in the rain and stare at me has been a very heartbreaking. I have three cats already and need a fourth like I need a hole in my head, but it’s gotten to the point that I am so stressed about leaving him that even though I am not sure how this is going to be at home, at least the stress will be consolidated. The Parking Spot is my part-time job and I leave it to go to the FT job and thinking about him all day has affected my performance

The only thing that is going to ruin my plan is if he is Leukemia or HIV positive. If he is, i’ll Get him neutered and return him. We’ll have to let the chips fall where they may at that point.

Last edited by a moderator:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I really appreciate your frankness. It’s been raining cats and dogs here in Dallas (no pun intended) and to see this little guy just sit in the rain and stare at me has been a very heartbreaking. I have three cats already and need a fourth like I need a hole in my head, but it’s gotten to the point that I am so stressed about leaving him that even though I am not sure how this is going to be at home, at least the stress will be consolidated. The Parking Spot is my part-time job and I leave it to go to the FT job and thinking about him all day has affected my performance

The only thing that is going to ruin my plan is if he is Leukemia or HIV positive. If he is, i’ll Get him neutered and return him. We’ll have to let the chips fall where they may at that point.
If he is positive for FELV or FIV you do not want to return him. This will only allow the virus to be transmitted to other cats. FELV is very contagious with other cats. Yet FIV is only transmitted through a deep bite or puncture. Cats that are spayed/neutered rarely if ever fight to bite that way. I have 2 FIV + cats out of 6. They all co mingle. I have the two that are positive on immune supplements. Both show no sign of the illness.

Thank you for wanting to care for this sweet one. I understand not needing any more cats!

doloskeeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If he is positive for FELV or FIV you do not want to return him. This will only allow the virus to be transmitted to other cats. FELV is very contagious with other cats. Yet FIV is only transmitted through a deep bite or puncture. Cats that are spayed/neutered rarely if ever fight to bite that way. I have 2 FIV + cats out of 6. They all co mingle. I have the two that are positive on immune supplements. Both show no sign of the illness.

Thank you for wanting to care for this sweet one. I understand not needing any more cats!
So I understand, positive for Leukemia or HIV, I take him home because the chance of puncture or deep biting is minimal.

My vet said to put him down if this is the case but I can’t do that.

Ya’ll say some prayers for me and him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm sending all the positive thoughts and prayers I have for you and for him, (especially since Halloween is coming on fast). - when you can, let us know how things are going :bigeyes: :lovecat2:

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay gotta set things straight.

Kitty aids is no big deal. You just have to do careful introductions since it's not highly contagious. Kitties with HIV should stay indoors so they don't get into fights withh outdoor cats so that deep puncture wounds wont be a risk. And also their immune systems get conpromised so it's another reason to keep them inside. No need to euthanize at all!!

Leukemia is a whole different ballgame. It is quite contagious and can be spread through grooming and sharing bowls. If snap test is positive for leukemia then there needs to be a follow up done with IFA/PCR because snap tests aren't that sophisticated and can be inaccurate. If he is positive than he needs to live in a sanctuary for felv cats (one in Austin, TX) or be a single cat in a household.

Goodluck! Wishing for the best. Keep us updated and feel free to ask questions. :)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
From my experience, I agree with this completely. If he has leukemia, it will be one extra step for you to get him to a sanctuary or find a single cat home for him, but it can be done. I still stand by he should not be released again.

What you describe as your emotions in seeing him so needy and alone is shared by anyone who has been in your situation with a cat, or even a dog. It does completely get into your psyche as you realize that you are the one link to the animal having a decent life and it is not just you being overly emotional. I hope that he does not have leukemia....of all the cats I have picked up out of bad conditions and rescued, none has ever had it and everyone is tested for it.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Okay gotta set things straight.

Kitty aids is no big deal. You just have to do careful introductions since it's not highly contagious. Kitties with HIV should stay indoors so they don't get into fights withh outdoor cats so that deep puncture wounds wont be a risk. And also their immune systems get conpromised so it's another reason to keep them inside. No need to euthanize at all!!

Leukemia is a whole different ballgame. It is quite contagious and can be spread through grooming and sharing bowls. If snap test is positive for leukemia then there needs to be a follow up done with IFA/PCR because snap tests aren't that sophisticated and can be inaccurate. If he is positive than he needs to live in a sanctuary for felv cats (one in Austin, TX) or be a single cat in a household.

Goodluck! Wishing for the best. Keep us updated and feel free to ask questions. :)
I completely agree with this and feel that he should be sent to a sanctuary or a single cat home if he is positive for leukemia....which is another step for you, although the shelter mentioned is in Texas. I hope he is healthy....of all the cats I have rescued from crummy situations none have ever had leukemia and all are tested.
Trying to help a little guy like this definitely gets to you as you realize that you are the one link between a decent life and a bad one. Everyone who has had to rescue an animal from a similar situation has felt this way and the relief you will feel when he is safe will be amazing.

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you for caring about this cat. I just took in two outside cats, one a stray and the other semi-feral, and was worried about FIV and FeLV, but they are both healthy. I will wish the same for your cat and hope that all works out well. Please keep us posted!

doloskeeter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This morning, my little guy was waiting for me. He has been in a fight and for the very first time I saw another black cat in the area. I don't know when he got bit, but one of the employees put hand sanitizer on the wound. This morning he sat in the cashier booth with me, either in my lap, or asleep in a chair. I am now at my full-time job and the cashier that relived me said he jumped through an open window in the booth. He is getting ridiculous and I really need to get him out of that environment. He absolutely cannot be a feral the way he laid in my lap this morning.

After get him neutered, will he maintain a fighting instinct? I really hope not due to my three other resident kitties.