Top Entry Litter Box Help

Feste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a Modcat top entry litter box, which my four year old cat used from day one. Recently, we adopted a one year old cat, but he refuses to use the top entry box. We have a regular litter pan, which both cats used, so we know it is not an issue of sharing boxes. He also uses the pine litter in the regular box, so we've ruled out a litter issue.

He is a large cat, but he has jumped in it once. Has anyone had issues with teaching a cat to use a top entry box? If so, how long should we give him to adopt to it before we cave in and just use a regular box (we prefer the top entry boxes as it reduces litter tracking, which in a small one bathroom is essential?

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats can be really picky. He may just need more time, but you could also be stuck with two different kinds of litter boxes. I've had cats who absolutely refused to go into a covered box, whether top entry or side entry.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
Could just be personal preference. It's the same as you saying one hamburger is better than another when they both have the same ingredients. You can't really "teach" him to use it, but you could start by taking the lid off (I'm assuming the lid with an entry hole is on top) to make it more accessable and rewarding him for using that box (ie. making that box a more positive experience).

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It might feel too small/cramped for him. My cat also uses a top entry box and when his previous one broke I ordered a different model that was smaller and he didn’t want to use it. Found a bigger one and he went back to using it normally right after I set it up.
Looking at the dimensions of the modkat one it does seem on the small side - the one my cat likes is this one: FRISCO Top Entry Cat Litter Box, Gray, Large 23-in - Chewy.com

The longest dimension is 23”, seems like the modkat is 16”?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Modkat also has an XL model Modkat XL Litter Box

Would be both larger for your cat, and allow you to configure between top and side entry.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Feste

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for the advice! I took the top off last night, and he used it this morning, but he might be too cramped as he is a large cat. I’ll look into the larger boxes. Thank you again!