Toothpaste Flavor?

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone, 

The vet says my little Sonya has severe tarter buildup on her back molars. She's never had her teeth brushed and I want to start easing her into it if I can. I've been reading the C.E.T. toothpaste reviews on Amazon, but all of those reviews are from dog owners. Most of them say their dogs like the vanilla/mint flavor. Have any of you tried the C.E.T. vanilla/mint flavor on your cats? Which flavor do your cats like?

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, my dog does not like the vanilla mint flavor so I don't know if I can agree with those reviews. 

For my kitties - they tolerate seafood and chicken. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
My cats love the malt flavor. They'll tolerate chicken if it's all that's offered, but run away from the fish. I think it depends on the individual cat. Kind of like people prefer different flavors.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

owneroperator

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks to all for your replies thus far. I wish I could get one tube of each flavor to try, but at $10 for each tube, it gets pricey quick. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Only one of my cats will eat the malt flavor, but two of them really like the poultry flavor, and the 3rd wll at least tolerate the poultry and not run away from it, like he does the malt.

I've not heard of ANY cat who likes the mint flavor, personally. 

bella8188

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been several years since the last post in this thread - I want to bring it back to see if anyone else these days has any additional input? I'm looking to get toothpaste for my cats and I'm really unsure as to which flavor would be the best chance and at least one or two of my three cats liking it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The CET poultry one is very popular. I use that one and the seafood flavored one for my cats. You can get a CET toothbrushing kit with a sample packet of the poultry toothpaste and a cat toothbrush. There isn't a sample packet for any of the other CET flavors so you'd have to buy a whole tube.

There are other brands of toothpastes you can try if y our cats don't like CET.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
My current cats hate any toothpaste they bite and scratch me if I try to brush their teeth.

Hector liked the vanilla mint one though. Plus it made her breath smell nice and clean. My vet said the vanilla mint is most popular with her feline clients.

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat will tolerate Arm & Hammer tuna flavored one that is more affordable. She like malt better, but really prefers a plain wet toothbrush. She likes to sit on the bathroom counter and watch people brush their teeth, then she let's me brush hers no problem 20210830_062829.jpg

Miamha

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PS I've tasted the A&H , it doesn't taste like tuna to me, very minty. Also sweet (which doesn't interest cats)