Toothless Is Always Toppling Over His Litter Box

Krwlng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi guys

I recently rescued a 2 year old.
He has been with us for close to a month now and has his neutering appointment with the vet tomorrow.

I have an issue with his toilet habits.
He does not like doing his business in the litter itself.
Instead, he perches over the litter box ( imagine all 4 legs on the top of the litter box ) and pees/poops.
I have tried various litter types such as sand, paper pellets and even soy litter which are all odorless.
Yet, he continues to perch on top of the litter box.
The problem here is that whenever he does that, the litter box will topple over due to his weight and mess up the floor.
I've tried sticking the litter box to the floor but he's a heavy boy and eventually it loosens and topples.

Do you guys have any idea why he does this or any recommendations for a litter box with a heavy base?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first reaction is to suggest a covered litter box. It has the advantage that Toothless couldn't stand on the edge that way; he'd actually have to use it the way most cats do. The disadvantage is that it sounds like Toothless is actually afraid of standing in the litter for some reason, and it might traumatize him to force him to do so.

Which brings me to my second idea. Perhaps you could make a sort of frame for the litter box. Think of a wooden rectangle, like the sides of a box, maybe a quarter inch taller than the litter box and just a smidge longer and wider than the litter box. Then think of a second wooden rectangle the same height as the first but six inches longer and six inches wider than the first. If this rectangle went around the first rectangle and they were connected with boards across the top you'd have a three inch wide walkway you could put around the litter box for Toothless to stand on. It would be more comfortable for him; it would be less likely to tip; and Toothless might even decide to sit on it and just let his bum hang over the litter box when he needs to do his thing.

I hope my description makes sense. I can see it clearly in my mind but putting a visual concept into words doesn't always work well.

Margret

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Krwlng

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first reaction is to suggest a covered litter box. It has the advantage that Toothless couldn't stand on the edge that way; he'd actually have to use it the way most cats do. The disadvantage is that it sounds like Toothless is actually afraid of standing in the litter for some reason, and it might traumatize him to force him to do so.

Which brings me to my second idea. Perhaps you could make a sort of frame for the litter box. Think of a wooden rectangle, like the sides of a box, maybe a quarter inch taller than the litter box and just a smidge longer and wider than the litter box. Then think of a second wooden rectangle the same height as the first but six inches longer and six inches wider than the first. If this rectangle went around the first rectangle and they were connected with boards across the top you'd have a three inch wide walkway you could put around the litter box for Toothless to stand on. It would be more comfortable for him; it would be less likely to tip; and Toothless might even decide to sit on it and just let his bum hang over the litter box when he needs to do his thing.

I hope my description makes sense. I can see it clearly in my mind but putting a visual concept into words doesn't always work well.

Margret
thanks Margaret.
i'm going to try the covered litter box first as carpentry is not something that i can do now :)

noani

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had a similar issue. He would always touch it only with his hind legs, not his Front paws, no matter what litter I put in. So having his weight on the edge with his front legs he'd make it fall over.

I ended up buying a larger box that is triangular shaped, thinking it may provide better stability.

And he started just using it all paws in. So it was the box he didn't like, not the litter! I went though all the accumulated opened litter bags over a couple of months, he'd use anything. Never had an issue again after getting a different box!

I then purchased the covered version of it because I now use wood pellets and the saw dust goes everywhere if it's open. He won't use it without the lid now :flail:

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
thanks Margaret.
i'm going to try the covered litter box first as carpentry is not something that i can do now :)
  1. Try V verna davies 's suggestion first; switching to soil is the easiest.
  2. If that doesn't work, if you have a Home Depot near you you can bring them a drawing of the project, buy the materials, and pay them to make it for you. They're pretty good about that.
noani noani , where did you find a triangular litter box?!

Margret

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boy does the same, you could use a big storage container that way more litter more weight. My boy doesn't tip those. Or use a hooded litter box like already has been surgested. I have those now got them because my other cat kept throwing litter everywhere.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just a board or two laid along one side of the litterbox may help as long as their wide enough for him to stand on and talk enough for him to put his back side over the litter box. I'm thinking 2x4s stacked up and secured with at least wood glue.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I worded it wrong? It's called Savic Nestor corner, Maison de toilette d'angle avec filtre Savic Nestor Corner - ZOOMALIA
like this.

it's really big actually. Much bigger than the pics. I have a hooded one and one that is just the bottom tray with a white border that goes on top.
No, you didn't word it wrong, that looks triangular to me, too. And having clicked on your link I see why I've never encountered it before; it's available in Europe and I live in America. One of the hazards of an international site where English is the language we're all speaking (typing, I mean).

Margret