Toothless Cat Retching After Eating

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 4 year old cat (Harry) who was rescued from a hoarder. At the time he was underweight and his teeth were in bad condition and had to be removed. Now he is fat and happy but toothless. However, he will often retch after eating, generally just bringing up some fluid, although twice this week he has vomited up his entire meal. His activity levels are normal, his appetite is normal and he is using his litter tray normally. Subsequent meals have gone down and stayed down.

My best guess is that he eats too fast and is swallowing too much air, given he can't chew. I'm planning to switch him to 4 smaller meals a day, rather than 2 bigger ones in the hope this helps.

Has anyone else had a toothless cat do this? I really don't want to go through the drama (and bloodshed for me) of taking him to a vet if it isn't necessary.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
My best guess is that he eats too fast and is swallowing too much air, given he can't chew. I'm planning to switch him to 4 smaller meals a day, rather than 2 bigger ones in the hope this helps.
Yes, eating fast swallows lots of air and end result is puking what he ate.

Sometimes giving smaller meals may not work if the cat is hungry and needs to eat more at one sitting.

My boy does that too if he eats too fast. What I did for him is, I scoop out a teaspoon full (wet food) and place it on his plate. After he has finished that portion, I wait for a few seconds and scoop another teaspoon full and place it on his plate. This slows down his eating. Try out this way if you have all the time to feed your boy.

Xena44

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My Rusty would do that too if he ate too fast. If switching to smaller meals doesn’t help, maybe try a novel protein diet? Always read the ingredients as often enough the title may say one meat but a small a y of a typical meat may be lower on the list. they also make slow feeder bowls that are designed to make them eat slower.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bfls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reassurance that other cats do this too.

I already supervise Harry's meals as one of my other cats will push him out of the way and eat his food otherwise, so dishing out his food slowly is an option. The joys of a multi-cat household. They get to eat breakfast at least 1 hour before I have a chance to have mine :petcat:

I've also ordered a slow feeder bowl/mat. Can't have too many cat toys/gadgets.