Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy has been laying in my Bathtub more and more lately. Sometimes she goes in there to have her space from the other cats but she usually would come out when I come home or into the room. Lately she hasn’t done that and she waits a long time before coming out.
Well, today I came home to find her breathing like this:

This was almost the way Ginger was breathing before he passed away. Ginger was a bit worse but I’m still pretty worried. I took her to an emergency animal clinic and am waiting to see what they say.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I’m at the vet now. Sandy has fluid surrounding her lungs just like Ginger did. I am completely baffled as to how this keeps happening. The vet is not sure what the cause is and they will need to drain her because they can’t get a clear X-Ray to see where it is coming from. I couldn’t put Sandy down like I did to Ginger… She put so much trust in me which was probably the hardest thing she’s ever done in her life. I’m going to try to fight it. I spent $3k tonight to drain the fluid, put her on pain meds, XRays, and other diagnostics. I’m really hoping I can save her.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy has been laying in my Bathtub more and more lately. Sometimes she goes in there to have her space from the other cats but she usually would come out when I come home or into the room. Lately she hasn’t done that and she waits a long time before coming out.
Well, today I came home to find her breathing like this:

This was almost the way Ginger was breathing before he passed away. Ginger was a bit worse but I’m still pretty worried. I took her to an emergency animal clinic and am waiting to see what they say.
*PRAYERS* from the heart for your sweet Sandy!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m at the vet now. Sandy has fluid surrounding her lungs just like Ginger did. I am completely baffled as to how this keeps happening. The vet is not sure what the cause is and they will need to drain her because they can’t get a clear X-Ray to see where it is coming from. I couldn’t put Sandy down like I did to Ginger… She put so much trust in me which was probably the hardest thing she’s ever done in her life. I’m going to try to fight it. I spent $3k tonight to drain the fluid, put her on pain meds, XRays, and other diagnostics. I’m really hoping I can save her.
I am so sorry. :(

Could it be stress caused? Are they exposed to any chemicals, cleaning supplies, pest sprays/deterrents, fertilizers, etc?

Oh , you are doing everything you can for her. I will pray for her as well. At least she is getting the care needed.

Get well soon Sandy!!! We love you so much!!!

Hang in there. This is tough but you are doing all you can. Please let us know how is she is doing.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy is home. I have been thinking of what could be causing this. I am beginning to wonder if I asymptomatically brought Covid-19 home and they all caught it. Right before Ginger died, all of my cats came down with what I thought was a cat flu. It took about 2 weeks for them each to recover. I am wondering if Covid weakened their immune system to the decree that mold was able to infiltrate their organs.

They are still diagnosing Sandy and sent her home with meds. They saw what they believe to be either a fungus or cancer in both her lungs and colon. They don’t know which it is just yet. They gave me meds for a fungus.

Problem is, I’ve never given Sandy pills by mouth and am worried she may bite me if I try to.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy is home. I have been thinking of what could be causing this. I am beginning to wonder if I asymptomatically brought Covid-19 home and they all caught it. Right before Ginger died, all of my cats came down with what I thought was a cat flu. It took about 2 weeks for them each to recover. I am wondering if Covid weakened their immune system to the decree that mold was able to infiltrate their organs.

They are still diagnosing Sandy and sent her home with meds. They saw what they believe to be either a fungus or cancer in both her lungs and colon. They don’t know which it is just yet. They gave me meds for a fungus.

Problem is, I’ve never given Sandy pills by mouth and am worried she may bite me if I try to.
You can find videos on YouTube on how to effectively give your cat a pill.
And you can get tested to find out if you have antibodies, yes?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got Pill Pockets for cats, tore a tiny bit off and 'glued' the pill to a tiny piece of cooked bacon. It may take a couple of times but usually they'll gulp it right down. Or hide it in a tiny piece of cheese,another favorite,.or see if you can crush it(call the vet) and mix it in a little bit of tuna juice or Delectable Lickables treat in the stew flavors. Cats LOVE them.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I managed to scruff her and feed them to her.

She is still lathertic and not choosing to eat. I put tuna in the food but she still avoids it…

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy’s breathing has increased again. She ate alittle bit but I’m worried I may not be able to save her. I comforted her all day today. She took well to that. I’m worried her chest cavities are filling up with fluid again. I have enough money on credit cards to drain her again but I won’t beable to recover from the debts if keep investing. I don’t know what to do.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My heart breaks for you, it does take a while for fungal medicines to work. Please try the Delectable Lickables, they worked when nothing else did. you might call your vet and see if he would give Lasix to manage the fluids. Otherwise, just keep comforting her as you have been, I am praying for you both.......

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

di and Bob gives great advice. I typically put it in the food but that assumes the cat is eating. :/

"I managed to scruff her and feed them to her." - Ok, good.

"She is still lathertic and not choosing to eat. I put tuna in the food but she still avoids it… " - Yes. Just try your best. Comfort her.

"Sandy’s breathing has increased again." - :( The medicine does take some time.

"She ate alittle bit" - Great

" but I’m worried I may not be able to save her." - PLEASE do not think ahead. Just do your best. She needs your positive energy to rest, not get stressed etc. I KNOW it is easier said than done but you are doing everything you can.

" I comforted her all day today. She took well to that." - Great

" I’m worried her chest cavities are filling up with fluid again." - Always feel free to contact the vet and ask how soon that may happen. But try not to get too ahead of the situation.

" I have enough money on credit cards to drain her again but I won’t beable to recover from the debts if keep investing. I don’t know what to do." - I know. I am so sorry. Ask the vet clinic if they can help in some way. Also, contact some organizations that may help with vet bills. I know there are some out there I just can't remember them. I believe the ASPCA has some assistance options and since she was feral some feral organizations may help. The Animal Rescue Foundation ARF in San Francisco might be a good place to contact. Maybe Alley Cat Allies might be able to point you in the right direction. And maybe post on here for ideas for financial support ideas. I know organizations are out there, I just can't remember. Talk to the emergency vet clinic as well and explain the situation. Some can be pretty good about helping a little.

Hang in there.

I wonder if when you had the freezing, snow, etc that some water damage or something caused mold, fungus, etc. I am worried it is something in house that might cause the other cats issues as well.

Oh hang in there. My prayers are with you and Sandy and the other cats as well. Hopefully she takes the pills and they help soon. I wish I had some good advice. :(

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well… Ginger died right after the freeze. We had barely even gotten to normal temperatures when he started convulsing so I’m not sure if that much mold could have accumulated to have killed him that quickly. It wasn’t even a week later.

Sandy is still hanging in there. I worked from home today and stayed in my room and comforted her all day. She is still hiding in my bathtub when I’m not with her but I managed to successfully get her to take her meds without getting bit so far. I stayed up all night petting her last night and holding her. Sandy’s eyes are so beautiful as they transition from fear to comfort. Her breathing did calm down a bit today but she spent most of the day resting, which is good. I’m still waiting on the vets diagnosis. Then again not hearing from them isn’t terrible, I guess in a way I just want to keep believing it’s fungal and not cancer.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Updating. Sandy is acting 100% normal this morning. When I woke up she immediately came to me and barraged me with rubbing against me and purring and allowing me to pet her. She is active and acting her normal self. Breathing is normal. She even meowed to me when I gave her meds and treats. I’m hoping this holds out. I still don’t have the diagnosis from the vet.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Updating. Sandy is acting 100% normal this morning. When I woke up she immediately came to me and barraged me with rubbing against me and purring and allowing me to pet her. She is active and acting her normal self. Breathing is normal. She even meowed to me when I gave her meds and treats. I’m hoping this holds out. I still don’t have the diagnosis from the vet.
Awwwwwwwww, this is FANTASTIC!!!!!

I am so proud of all you are doing for her. Keep up the great work!!!!

I am hoping the vet found the issue.

GREAT JOB nursing her back to health!!! :clap2:

Let's try to figure out what might be causing this. Make sure you ask the vet as well for any ideas, etc.

I hope she keeps taking her medicine so well and she gets fully recovered.

This made my day. I love Sandy. :)

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes, like with people, cats just feel "off" to one degree or another. Our angel Rani went off her food for three days. Of course this can be serious. She was 16 at the time, and I was very worried. Then, out of nowhere, she started eating again, and we had three more wonderful years together. Things can be idiopathic (no known cause). So be prepared for that to be a possibility. *PRAYERS* for sweet Sandy to thrive!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She’s breathing heavy again :( … The vet told me not to worry unless she starts open mouth breathing, which she hasn’t yet. (Ginger wasn’t either until the very end to though) I’m still waiting on the lab results from the vet too.

She is asleep right now and her paws are twitching. I’m giving her alittle space so I don’t excite her.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s breathing heavy again :( … The vet told me not to worry unless she starts open mouth breathing, which she hasn’t yet. (Ginger wasn’t either until the very end to though) I’m still waiting on the lab results from the vet too.

She is asleep right now and her paws are twitching. I’m giving her alittle space so I don’t excite her.
:(

Is it warm in the house? Any air circulation?

I am SO GLAD to hear she is not breathing with her mouth open.

How long has she been breathing heavy?

Hopefully sleep will help. Was she acting fairly normal before she fell asleep?

Hang in there. Sending positive vibes to Sandy!!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
:(

Is it warm in the house? Any air circulation?

I am SO GLAD to hear she is not breathing with her mouth open.

How long has she been breathing heavy?

Hopefully sleep will help. Was she acting fairly normal before she fell asleep?

Hang in there. Sending positive vibes to Sandy!!!
I keep the thermostat around 77*F

Her breathing seems to go through cycles. This morning she seems to be breathing heavy then she tried to play with Panda and it got heavier so she went off and laid down for a bit and it calmed down alittle but it’s still higher than it was yesterday. She seems to be acting somewhat normal, she did come out the bath tub and lays either on my bed or the cat tree I just bought her.