Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been going out there for awhile now but I've slowed down recently and I've also stopped going into the grass as I dont want to meet any snakes. There is a feral cat colony in an adjacent office complex and they roam through the storm drains. I've put food and camera's at storm drain entrances away from the private property but I've only succeeded in attracting more Raccoons which lead me to stop. I've also checked across the street at a large shopping plaza. Someone responded to an ad and told me they saw what looked like my cat in the plaza and I've checked and saw a cream colored cat but it didnt look like Rabbit. I don't know where he went or where he is.

I've also managed to encumber another problem. I finally succeeded in finding a job but, it was more-less a job of last resorts. It pays the same as I was making prior to the Pandemic but I'm working for the hospital's IT infrastructure department. This unfortunately also requires me to come onsite. Not two weeks after I began, one of our co-workers came down with Covid-19 and it spread to an immediate Co-Worker who suddenly came down with symptoms and had to leave. After this they shut down the entire facility. I was around that co-worker for a considerable period of time so Im pretty worried I may have it. I dont have any symptoms right now. I'm taking vitamin C / D but need to buy Zinc. Can I safely feed my cats Zinc as well?
How are you feeling? I am hoping you are doing well. Hang in there.

And how are the cats?

Good luck and take good care of yourself.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've been going out there for awhile now but I've slowed down recently and I've also stopped going into the grass as I dont want to meet any snakes. There is a feral cat colony in an adjacent office complex and they roam through the storm drains. I've put food and camera's at storm drain entrances away from the private property but I've only succeeded in attracting more Raccoons which lead me to stop. I've also checked across the street at a large shopping plaza. Someone responded to an ad and told me they saw what looked like my cat in the plaza and I've checked and saw a cream colored cat but it didnt look like Rabbit. I don't know where he went or where he is.

I've also managed to encumber another problem. I finally succeeded in finding a job but, it was more-less a job of last resorts. It pays the same as I was making prior to the Pandemic but I'm working for the hospital's IT infrastructure department. This unfortunately also requires me to come onsite. Not two weeks after I began, one of our co-workers came down with Covid-19 and it spread to an immediate Co-Worker who suddenly came down with symptoms and had to leave. After this they shut down the entire facility. I was around that co-worker for a considerable period of time so Im pretty worried I may have it. I dont have any symptoms right now. I'm taking vitamin C / D but need to buy Zinc. Can I safely feed my cats Zinc as well?
I am so worried about you. I hope everything is going as well as possible.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I just wanted to check in and see how you all are doing. I hope you are feeling well. Wishing you all the best.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey sorry for the lack of updates I’ve just been extremely busy between job hunting and studying. The job I got earlier had a Covid-19 outbreak and we went unpaid for 2 weeks and management pretty much put the repercussions on us and wouldn’t allow us to work remotely even though we had the ability to so I ended up leaving the job. My Covid-19 test came back negative which I’m greatful for because I was pretty close to the person who had it for awhile. Unfortunately though I’m in a pretty bad situation job wise and I got severely set back by the job situation. I did land another role that will hopefully begin Jan 4th.

Im still looking for Rabbit but I haven’t been able to find him. People are also looking for him and gave me recommendations to search and I went to those places finding similar cats but no sign of Rabbit.

Its Cedar Season here in Austin TX and Sandy is having a pretty bad allergic reaction. This didn’t happen to her last year but this year her eyes got very puffy and stuck closed in the morning. I have been giving her half a tablet of Zyrtec and it seemed to help alittle bit but it’s really getting to her.
2BBEDD52-1A04-4A4A-B460-CC9C934626D5.jpeg
05A543E2-96AF-404C-A153-65F0566777DC.jpeg
1713BF30-AC7A-4709-A33C-7EFC4270C045.jpeg
E69971C7-4652-4D7D-ADB6-F1332A5DD50C.jpeg

She has grown closer to me. I can lift her alittle bit now. She barrages me when I come into the room. She feels comfortable coming onto the bed while I’m on it too.

I ended up getting another cat named Louis. She was advertised as 2 years old but she was more like a kitten than a 2 year old. She was an feral because her ear was tipped and she was super frail. She is doing a lot better now though.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey sorry for the lack of updates I’ve just been extremely busy between job hunting and studying. The job I got earlier had a Covid-19 outbreak and we went unpaid for 2 weeks and management pretty much put the repercussions on us and wouldn’t allow us to work remotely even though we had the ability to so I ended up leaving the job. My Covid-19 test came back negative which I’m greatful for because I was pretty close to the person who had it for awhile. Unfortunately though I’m in a pretty bad situation job wise and I got severely set back by the job situation. I did land another role that will hopefully begin Jan 4th.

Im still looking for Rabbit but I haven’t been able to find him. People are also looking for him and gave me recommendations to search and I went to those places finding similar cats but no sign of Rabbit.

Its Cedar Season here in Austin TX and Sandy is having a pretty bad allergic reaction. This didn’t happen to her last year but this year her eyes got very puffy and stuck closed in the morning. I have been giving her half a tablet of Zyrtec and it seemed to help alittle bit but it’s really getting to her.View attachment 363837View attachment 363838View attachment 363839View attachment 363840

She has grown closer to me. I can lift her alittle bit now. She barrages me when I come into the room. She feels comfortable coming onto the bed while I’m on it too.

I ended up getting another cat named Louis. She was advertised as 2 years old but she was more like a kitten than a 2 year old. She was an feral because her ear was tipped and she was super frail. She is doing a lot better now though.
I am so happy to hear from you and know that you are safe and healthy.

I am so happy t hear you have another job and that you hopefully will be starting on Jan 4. Intelligence and hard work and determination will give you a great future and I hope this new job starts off the progress.

Just keep trying to find Rabbit. Hopefully he is ok and eventually finds his way back home.

Poor Sandy, hopefully she gets well soon and the allergies pass quickly.

Awwww, she is really doing well with you. The bond a person has with a feral is pretty amazing. Sandy is one very lucky cat!!

Oh my, you saved another cat. Good for you. Just do all you can to get her successfully intro'd. How are they accepting her?

So great to hear from you and that you are safe and healthy. Good luck on the new job. Just keep moving forward, do your best and never give up. If you do that you are a success. I believe you are going to reach great heights. And let us know how Sandy and Louis are getting along. Good luck!!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy’s eyes are more puffy even with the Zyrtec. Now Ginger and Marshmallow are also having puffy eyes with discharges. I’m starting to worry that they may actually be ill.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be like human 'pink eye', especially if it is spreading. You might need an antibiotic ointment to use. Even if you can just put a little on your finger and apply it along the closed eye it would help. It is about the only thing that helps. Wiping with a warm wet cloth could maybe get them used to you messing with their eyes, but even the most laid back cat needs encouragement, and since yours are probably skittish it won't be easy. . I saw some on Amazon for 15.99, Terramycin is what the vets send home. You might call or E-mail your vet, show some pictures, and see what they recommend. In these times he might just give you a prescription without an office visit.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy’s eyes are more puffy even with the Zyrtec. Now Ginger and Marshmallow are also having puffy eyes with discharges. I’m starting to worry that they may actually be ill.
:( Yes, it seems like it could be something more. I would give your vet a call, explain the situation and try to figure something out. I know Ginger and Marshmallow could be handled pretty well but Sandy will probably be a challenge. But just try your best.

Hang in there. Things will get better. Let us know how it goes.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I doped them up with Lysine and they all seem better now:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I doped them up with Lysine and they all seem better now:
I am so glad they are better. I hope that solves it.

Good luck on the new job! I am sure you will do great.

Let us know how you all are doing. Happy new year, I am hoping 2021 brings better times for you and the cats,

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The job is going okay but co-worker issues. Not complaining too much because I’m just happy to be employed for now but it’s leaving my a lot more winded than my previous job did.

Still no sign of Rabbit.

I’m able to lift Panda and Sandy up for short intervals now if I’m careful with them.

Sandy for the first time climbed up my lap and laid there for a moment. I have a few photos of me and Sandy I wanted to share:

1FB3076E-677E-4B9D-9365-93D5B156EB33.jpeg

1520A4E0-BBFA-4F4F-99D8-57CB04182B12.jpeg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The job is going okay but co-worker issues. Not complaining too much because I’m just happy to be employed for now but it’s leaving my a lot more winded than my previous job did.

Still no sign of Rabbit.

I’m able to lift Panda and Sandy up for short intervals now if I’m careful with them.

Sandy for the first time climbed up my lap and laid there for a moment. I have a few photos of me and Sandy I wanted to share:

View attachment 367491
View attachment 367492
I am so glad to hear that the new job is going "ok". It is rare not to have co-worker issues so just keep working hard, be respectful, etc. I think you have the right attitude. If you work hard and do what is right things tend to work out. I am just so glad everything is going well. I knew you would find something good.

:( I hope Rabbit finds his way home.

"I’m able to lift Panda and Sandy up for short intervals now if I’m careful with them." - Yes!!! THAT is amazing and great progress. Trust and a bond are really being built. Keep up the great work.

YES!! SANDY!!! I LOVE that she wants to be on your lap. Sometimes it never happens. Again, a great sign of trust and a special bond. I am amazed at how well she has adjusted. The love you have for her definitely she knows. Thanks for the pics!!! She is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS!!! You saved her life and she loves you for that. SO special.

I am so glad to hear everything is going well. Thank you for the update. How are the new kitties doing? Keep up the great work at home and at work!!! Better times are coming!!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Still no sign of Rabbit.

View attachment 367491
View attachment 367492
I hope you are ok during these horrible weather times. I saw the news about Texas and it is so sad and scary. I hope Austin is better than some of the other areas. It is heartbreaking to see. Hopefully the weather gets better soon and they get the power/water back on.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I hope you are ok during these horrible weather times. I saw the news about Texas and it is so sad and scary. I hope Austin is better than some of the other areas. It is heartbreaking to see. Hopefully the weather gets better soon and they get the power/water back on.
It’s a mess here, right out of a disaster movie. I was supposed to go to Atlanta the weekend before this really hit but decided against it due to potential complications of getting back if I didn’t make it back before the storm and it was going to be pretty close. I stocked up and stayed home and then came the storm. I have NEVER felt temperatures that cold before. It got down to 0*F in Austin... It was literally coming right through my walls like my walls were made of paper and my heating system wasn’t able to keep up... and shortly after nor was the power grid. They had several wind farms out west freeze up as well as Natural Gas and Coal Plants, most of it was actually coal and natural gas as Texas only gets 10% of its energy from wind. It was about 15,000 megawatts of wind energy we lost and about 30,000 natural gas / coal and we even lost one Nuclear reactor. Texas didn’t winterize and we are on our own power grid (I didn’t know this until this event) ... So they did rotating blackouts and we would lose power for about 2 hours then have it on for 3 or 4 hours and lose it again for 2 hours. When the power went out it also took the cell towers with them so I lost all cellular connectivity and internet.

Couldn’t work remotely because our campus also lost power. Then our water treatment facilities and pumps froze and we lost water.

In other areas of Austin, Austin Energy and ERCOT screwed up when doing the rolling blackouts, they can’t disable grids with critical infrastructure like hospitals and water processing facilities or fire stations. They disable grids without critical infrastructure but when they did they couldn’t bring any of them back up without overloading the grid so they sat without power for 2-3 days in 0*F ... roads were untreated and are blankets of ice so can’t drive to a warming center. It’s pretty bad.

It’s rough without water which I still don’t have right now but I fortunately did have quite a few gallons stored in my pantry because during seeing we get storms that sometimes overwhelm our water system so it’s always good to have.

My power seems to have stabilized. It hasn’t gone off since around noon yesterday.

The cats are fine. Panda and Sandy slept with me tonight. Sandy more and more frequently lays beside me. Especially when it got cold in here. It seemed like she wanted to share the blanket but was alittle too uncomfortable but she still stayed very close. They still love each other and clean each other in the morning and play with each other in the evening.

Sandy staying warm
A9CAAD52-AD9C-4CD1-B3C4-5225F909FC4D.jpeg

Baxter says bring a coat and stay warm this winter
4AE32A7E-2E7A-4303-AA6A-6CF8CDAC506E.jpeg

1768804B-63C8-4E02-8498-E5C575091E12.jpeg

and check the weather before leaving!
C98B670D-3FA9-4FE4-9C2A-AB5127D6CE56.jpeg

Panda says avoid snow.
B6D26A9B-6919-4215-AEF9-B8C31F952E1E.jpeg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s a mess here, right out of a disaster movie. I was supposed to go to Atlanta the weekend before this really hit but decided against it due to potential complications of getting back if I didn’t make it back before the storm and it was going to be pretty close. I stocked up and stayed home and then came the storm. I have NEVER felt temperatures that cold before. It got down to 0*F in Austin... It was literally coming right through my walls like my walls were made of paper and my heating system wasn’t able to keep up... and shortly after nor was the power grid. They had several wind farms out west freeze up as well as Natural Gas and Coal Plants, most of it was actually coal and natural gas as Texas only gets 10% of its energy from wind. It was about 15,000 megawatts of wind energy we lost and about 30,000 natural gas / coal and we even lost one Nuclear reactor. Texas didn’t winterize and we are on our own power grid (I didn’t know this until this event) ... So they did rotating blackouts and we would lose power for about 2 hours then have it on for 3 or 4 hours and lose it again for 2 hours. When the power went out it also took the cell towers with them so I lost all cellular connectivity and internet.

Couldn’t work remotely because our campus also lost power. Then our water treatment facilities and pumps froze and we lost water.

In other areas of Austin, Austin Energy and ERCOT screwed up when doing the rolling blackouts, they can’t disable grids with critical infrastructure like hospitals and water processing facilities or fire stations. They disable grids without critical infrastructure but when they did they couldn’t bring any of them back up without overloading the grid so they sat without power for 2-3 days in 0*F ... roads were untreated and are blankets of ice so can’t drive to a warming center. It’s pretty bad.

It’s rough without water which I still don’t have right now but I fortunately did have quite a few gallons stored in my pantry because during seeing we get storms that sometimes overwhelm our water system so it’s always good to have.

My power seems to have stabilized. It hasn’t gone off since around noon yesterday.

The cats are fine. Panda and Sandy slept with me tonight. Sandy more and more frequently lays beside me. Especially when it got cold in here. It seemed like she wanted to share the blanket but was alittle too uncomfortable but she still stayed very close. They still love each other and clean each other in the morning and play with each other in the evening.

Sandy staying warm
View attachment 370528

Baxter says bring a coat and stay warm this winter
View attachment 370529
View attachment 370530
and check the weather before leaving!
View attachment 370531

Panda says avoid snow.
View attachment 370532
WOW!! I am so glad you and the cats are doing as well as you can. I am so glad you had bottles of water. Whew. I know it is far from ideal but I feared it was worse. I HOPE the water comes back on soon. At least the power is on somewhat. Wow. It is just so horrific. I see the stories and it is just heartbreaking. I just can't believe they didn't winterize when they had this a few years ago. I hope the power stays on going forward. Maybe they have gotten some of the equipment unfrozen. Whew.

That is one good thing about having cats. You can cuddle and everyone gets everyone else warm.

What beautiful pictures!! Sandy is handling it well it seems and Baxter seems to be loving the bonding. Panda is smart, avoid that weird white stuff out there!!!

I never thought I would see pictures of snow in Austin!!! Ughhhhhhhh

I am SO GLAD to hear you all are doing ok. HOPEFULLY it gets better soon and they fix it so it never happens again!!

Thanks for the fast update, I was really worried. The stories I am seeing are horrific.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
WOW!! I am so glad you and the cats are doing as well as you can. I am so glad you had bottles of water. Whew. I know it is far from ideal but I feared it was worse. I HOPE the water comes back on soon. At least the power is on somewhat. Wow. It is just so horrific. I see the stories and it is just heartbreaking. I just can't believe they didn't winterize when they had this a few years ago. I hope the power stays on going forward. Maybe they have gotten some of the equipment unfrozen. Whew.

That is one good thing about having cats. You can cuddle and everyone gets everyone else warm.

What beautiful pictures!! Sandy is handling it well it seems and Baxter seems to be loving the bonding. Panda is smart, avoid that weird white stuff out there!!!

I never thought I would see pictures of snow in Austin!!! Ughhhhhhhh

I am SO GLAD to hear you all are doing ok. HOPEFULLY it gets better soon and they fix it so it never happens again!!

Thanks for the fast update, I was really worried. The stories I am seeing are horrific.
It’s very unreal. It isn’t normal at all. This isn’t the first time we got snow this year either. We got 3” only a few weeks prior to this storm. It just didn’t stay cold for as long. I feel that climate change is real and the weather is becoming more unstable and unpredictable.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s very unreal. It isn’t normal at all. This isn’t the first time we got snow this year either. We got 3” only a few weeks prior to this storm. It just didn’t stay cold for as long. I feel that climate change is real and the weather is becoming more unstable and unpredictable.
Agreed. It is really crazy and scary. It breaks my heart to see what is happening.

I didn't realize you all got snow before this. Thank goodness it didn't stay as cold as this time. I can't believe how many people are having such troubles. I saw the numbers of people with no water and it is heartbreaking. I don't understand why the water works in Canada and Alaska etc but it doesn't in Texas? They get is colder.

I totally agree. The weather that is happening in Texas and other places is not normal. Something is going on. I heard Alaska was warmer than Texas. Does not make sense to me.

I hope not only do we do something on the climate but also start preparing better for all the potential issues that can happen. People can't be without water, or power. This is the richest country in the world and we have people facing existential threats. It is heart breaking and aggravating.

I just heard 13.5 million people don't have access to water right now. There is now a reporter in Austin on TV talking about what you are facing. Power lines down. BUT he says the snow is melting now. But I am sure they are going to have to take time to repair all the damage. City of Austin is under boil orders and many people have no water coming out. Ughhhhh, it is heartbreaking.

I just hope you get back to normal soon!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The main reason the water works in places like Canada but not Texas is because the way they design piping is different. In Texas older homes it goes through the attic and along the exterior walls. In Canada they will often times heat the plumbing with an electrical circuit. That’s what I have heard anyway.

I have bad news.... and I’m writing this in tears.

I had to put Ginger down today. I’m crushed over it. It all came suddenly and very unexpectedly. In the past I’ve made post about being concerned that Ginger had hypothermia of which I took him to the vet several times for, had blood work and X-rays but nothing came of it. Well yesterday he was breathing very hard and acted like he wanted to vomit but he couldn’t. I waited a day and sure enough his breathing was just as bad so I took him to a vet. After seeing him they became so concerned about his condition they told me to come inside even despite Covid.

Well... ... the vet gave me his XRays and showed me his lungs were heavily compacted by fluid and were only 1/3rd of the size they should be. They found fluid between his abdomen and lungs and his stomach had a tumor and they suspected cancer. The anxiety of the vet visit pushed him and he could no longer breath normally and they had to put him on oxygen. When I saw him he was struggling for life. They told me he would need to see a hospital and the chances of his survival were extremely low. They would have to first sedate him and drain the fluids, which they didn’t expect him to survive, then the hospital would have to remove the tumor and perform chemotherapy on which they also didn’t expect he would survive and.. heavily recommended me putting him down.

I went in the room with him remembering when I got him as a kitten 10 years ago. When he was a kitten he and his brother Marshmallow were sick with a flu and they were about 2 or 3 months of age. The animal shelter didn’t expect either of them to survive it and recommended I adopt other cats but I took them anyway. It was a struggle but I managed to get him back to health ... I could tell how grateful he was because he would come and sit on my lap and aggressively knead me and when I was laying down he would come to me and knead me. I did a whole bunch of things I shouldn’t have done like taking him cross country to Seattle with me when I moved there, then stashing him and myself as well as Marshmallow in hotels (family issues, we went through periods of homelessness). I just wasn’t willing to let him go and he was basically like my child and was willing to risk my safety and break rules to be with him and keep him. Today that didn’t pan out though because I didn’t want him to suffer that way. It was by far the most painful thing I have ever done.

I stayed there with him and comforted him as best I could but he was hardly coherent at this point, he was coughing out fluids and couldn’t catch his breath. I put my hand on his head and told him I loved him.. repeatedly .. again and again as they gave him the lethal injection...I felt him slowly slipping away.. becoming from the pet I held close and deeply to me to ... lifelessness... it killed me... I’ve never felt anything like that before... I stood there till the end where he passed away... because I was the one who was there for him from the start, I couldnt leave him to suffer this alone.. ..but it doesn’t make anything feel better.. I’m pretty crushed right now.
Last night he barged into my bedroom where I keep Sandy away from the other cats and he badly wanted to be with me and I put him back outside because I can’t trust what may happen with Sandy and other cats whiles I’m asleep. He wanted to sleep with me because he knew his time was coming.. I didn’t even know anything was wrong. I didn’t even hold him one last time.

R.I.P Ginger.

1-A786-D3-C-57-D5-4334-BD0-A-69-AB52-B801-B1.jpg

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, sweet Ginger baby, your struggles are over RIP honey :rbheart:

It is absolutely the most difficult, and the most compassionate and loving thing we can do for them.