Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I managed to make Sandy Purr today, with a duster. Still need a way to introduce my hands but here is a video:

I luckily saw this. I didn't get an update alert for some reason.

And I don't want to miss this!!!

WOW, has she come a long way. The trust is FANTASTIC!!! GREAT job!!!

She is really a sweet cat. Keep doing what you are doing to build trust. You are doing an amazing job.

I am SO GLAD I didn't miss this!!

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Now I see I missed a lot of posts.

I am SO SORRY about your job. It is heartbreaking to hear. Just do your best to stay positive, look hard for another job, and just do your best. You are obviously a great person, intelligent so hopefully things get better soon and the opportunity will present itself. I wish life was fair and great people would be taken care of. But your ability and personality will help you find success.

Apr 27 post -"She comes up to me and sits by me when I enter the room and she also likes to lay by my bed when I sleep." - Fantastic!!

The Apr 27 post picture of her is really adorable. That is a sign of trust to you. Really positive.

Apr 29 Post - "So today I came into my room and Sandy seemed pretty happy to see me. She came out the bathroom to sit by me and she laid there while I laid on the floor and started playing on my phone. I was laying down on the floor while not really paying attention to her and I saw her out the corner of my eye start moving toward my feet. I didnt move but she started sniffing my shoes and before I knew it she started rubbing her cheek against my shoes and then laid down along side my legs while nudging her face across my shoes for several moments before she went across to the other side of the room and just stared at me... I then rolled over at my back and gently spoke to her and she came back! She is laying beside me as we speak... I cant believe it... " - AWESOME!!! Again, a sign of such trust AND she wanted to "own" you by getting her scent on you. You have definitely bonded and built trust.

What is especially impressive is how she is responding given how much stress you are probably feeling right now. Her response to you will hopefully help manage the stress.

I am so sorry for not seeing these posts. I don;t always get alerts. PLEASE feel free to direct message me if I don't respond to a post as I am not always getting alerts about new posts for some reason.

It breaks my heart you are going through the job loss and the impact of this virus. But as long as you stay healthy I am sure you will recover. Let's hope this passes and things start to go back to normal soon. Then I see this heartwarming bond between you and Sandy. This amazingly positive news with Sandy. It is two powerful emotions pulling me in different directions. I hope we can hear soon of better times on the job front. Just please stay positive and don't give up. I have gone through adversity several times in life and if we never give up it makes us better, stronger. I know no words can help but I honestly believe things do work out for great people and you are a great person. And if you ever need to just "get it out" we are here for you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy is following me everywhere now and almost rubbing into me. She still steps back if I offer my hand, but when I come in she will come and sit like right beside me and just purrr..
I wrote that up last night but forgot to post it (was tired).. This morning Sandy started to rub against my legs! I cant believe it.

I'm coming to another concern. Tonight I have to leave town again and need to get a cat sitter. I've told them Panda and Sandy are ferals but since I'm going to be gone for up to 2 weeks I'm just...kinda...hoping nothing happens so to speak. They are to come in every 3-4 days a week and make sure everything is okay with them. Clean Litter, Food, ect.. should I have to worry?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sandy is following me everywhere now and almost rubbing into me. She still steps back if I offer my hand, but when I come in she will come and sit like right beside me and just purrr..
I wrote that up last night but forgot to post it (was tired).. This morning Sandy started to rub against my legs! I cant believe it.

I'm coming to another concern. Tonight I have to leave town again and need to get a cat sitter. I've told them Panda and Sandy are ferals but since I'm going to be gone for up to 2 weeks I'm just...kinda...hoping nothing happens so to speak. They are to come in every 3-4 days a week and make sure everything is okay with them. Clean Litter, Food, ect.. should I have to worry?
WOW!!! WE HAVE PURE LOVE!!! :itslove: Sandy is LOVING on you!! Getting her scent on you, owning you. Her body language is so positive, relaxed, loving. If that video isn't perfect I don't know what is!!!

The video actually cause me to cry. Tears of joy. Knowing Sandy's journey. Life on the streets, dangerous, short expected life and a tough life. Someone comes along to save her. Gives her love, a great home. Seeing her respond to being loved. And seeing this love, this bond. Honestly, it is beautiful. Moving. THANK YOU for saving Sandy and for giving her a great life!!!

"when I come in she will come and sit like right beside me and just purrr." - So amazing!!! The purring is such a great sign.

"I'm coming to another concern. Tonight I have to leave town again and need to get a cat sitter. I've told them Panda and Sandy are ferals but since I'm going to be gone for up to 2 weeks I'm just...kinda...hoping nothing happens so to speak. They are to come in every 3-4 days a week and make sure everything is okay with them. Clean Litter, Food, ect.. should I have to worry?" - Well, worrying will not help anything. If you have to go you have to go. Anytime the parent leaves it is stressful for the cats. I would guess they will do ok with the babysitter. How they interact with each other is another story. If Sandy is pretty much in that room 24/7 and others aren't maybe the babysitter should keep that door closed (if that is how it is normally). We want to keep things as similar to "normal" as possible. You are Sandy's world and most likely to the other cats. So that can cause some issues. But what kind can depend.

Think about what is best for them. To give them as much of their territory as safely as possible for everyone. Sandy's room and how Panda comes and goes is probably the biggest challenge. So think about how best to handle that. I don;t want another cat to come in to Sandy's territory and cause her stress but closing Sandy's room could cause Panda stress.

But all you can do is your best. You have to go away.

I do worry 3-4 days is not enough. If possible it should be every day. It is important for food, water and litter box. If the litter box isn't clean I don;t want them going on the floor, walls, etc and ruining the house. I know it is more expensive when you can't really afford it but I think you can't afford not to. I don't think daily visit will make the cat worse. And if something happens they can respond. Your parents are not able to help?

PLEASE let us know more. I do think at least once a day visit to clean, water etc is really important.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
About that every 3-4 days, do you have lots of litterpans, water bowls and kibble bowls?

Would there be any way you could borrow a camera and set it up so you can see them on your phone?

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this is going to be kind of a budget trip, mainly for business. The every 3 days is as much as I can do currently.

I use large self-feeder dishes for them when I'm gone and large self water feeders which I spread out incase one gets knocked over they have others. I hate doing it because I hate feeding them dry food but right now I'm not exactly in players choice ATM. Unfortunately no, I have no camera's except my doorbell camera.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I hate doing it because I hate feeding them dry food
they'll be ok for those few days, I promise :) Maybe your sitter can send you video of them every time they are there, it'd help ease your mind as to how they're doing, I think.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately this is going to be kind of a budget trip, mainly for business. The every 3 days is as much as I can do currently.

I use large self-feeder dishes for them when I'm gone and large self water feeders which I spread out incase one gets knocked over they have others. I hate doing it because I hate feeding them dry food but right now I'm not exactly in players choice ATM. Unfortunately no, I have no camera's except my doorbell camera.
All you can do is your best. I know it is hard. You love them. Welcome to parenting!!!

I am really kind of happy you will be going for business. I was worried about your job situation. I hope it goes well. Remember just work hard and do your best. If you do that you are a success. You are obviously a success with the way you handle the cats. You will always be a winner and a success if you work hard, do your best, and never give up. Success is more than money or status. You are a hero is my book!!!

Just please be safe on your trip. Make sure you stay healthy, cautious, stay away from people as much as possible, wash your hands, don't touch your face. Be really cognizant of those things.

Hang in there and let us know how things went. Travel safe.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All you can do is your best. I know it is hard. You love them. Welcome to parenting!!!

I am really kind of happy you will be going for business. I was worried about your job situation. I hope it goes well. Remember just work hard and do your best. If you do that you are a success. You are obviously a success with the way you handle the cats. You will always be a winner and a success if you work hard, do your best, and never give up. Success is more than money or status. You are a hero is my book!!!

Just please be safe on your trip. Make sure you stay healthy, cautious, stay away from people as much as possible, wash your hands, don't touch your face. Be really cognizant of those things.

Hang in there and let us know how things went. Travel safe.
I'm in IT but also do a bit of Real Estate on the side with my mother (who owns the business) but the business is still based in Atlanta and I live in Austin TX. The Real Estate is also very flaky at times so I dont really like doing it full time but it counts as a bonus check so to speak when she has a deal for me to work through. Unfortunately though it requires me to travel between the states sometimes fairly frequently. I'm still searching for a full time job though.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in IT but also do a bit of Real Estate on the side with my mother (who owns the business) but the business is still based in Atlanta and I live in Austin TX. The Real Estate is also very flaky at times so I dont really like doing it full time but it counts as a bonus check so to speak when she has a deal for me to work through. Unfortunately though it requires me to travel between the states sometimes fairly frequently. I'm still searching for a full time job though.
I am so glad that you have another opportunity. You are a great guy and deserve great things.

IT is a great field to be in, same with real estate though as you say it can be a bit up and down. I am so glad that she can help out getting you a deal to do.

You are intelligent, have a great personality, have what seems like a great work ethic (you have done amazing things with the cats). You have all the skills needed to succeed. Sometimes the luck isn't right away but talent makes it's own luck. Just stay positive, never give up, and keep moving forward. I have no doubt you'll find another opportunity hopefully soon. It is all about IT nowadays.

Travel safely. Good luck on the deal. Hope it goes well. Talk soon.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm back home now.
Everything went well with the petsitter. Will probably use them again if I travel. Panda and Sandy did pretty well.. ..well.. they weren't exactly thrilled:
5d4eb200c2abb901208aef8a656e03d10156f616-14.jpg

75d01f9048be5e4c8e72a6444aad72c41e910ad8-14.jpg

The cat sitter sent me those pictures of them.

When I got back Panda and Sandy were a bit slow at first but Sandy came out the bathroom and started following me pretty quickly. Panda actually took longer than Sandy in warming back up to me. He wouldn't let me touch him for awhile but now he's also right as rain.

I came into my room tonight and Sandy did something very unexpected. She opened her mouth and it looked like she was going to hiss... ...but what she was trying to do was meow... and she repeatedly did it while following me and looking at me, trying to meow at me.. Her voice is completely inaudible, when she tries to meow nothing comes out, very similar to what happened to Ginger and Marshmallow last year... she kept trying though and followed me until I started petting her with the duster. Now shes laying down and purring heavily. She was rubbing against me and just adored the duster. Still cant give her my hand it seems but its progress I will definitely take. I never expected her to come this far.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm back home now.
Everything went well with the petsitter. Will probably use them again if I travel. Panda and Sandy did pretty well.. ..well.. they weren't exactly thrilled:
View attachment 335725

View attachment 335726

The cat sitter sent me those pictures of them.

When I got back Panda and Sandy were a bit slow at first but Sandy came out the bathroom and started following me pretty quickly. Panda actually took longer than Sandy in warming back up to me. He wouldn't let me touch him for awhile but now he's also right as rain.

I came into my room tonight and Sandy did something very unexpected. She opened her mouth and it looked like she was going to hiss... ...but what she was trying to do was meow... and she repeatedly did it while following me and looking at me, trying to meow at me.. Her voice is completely inaudible, when she tries to meow nothing comes out, very similar to what happened to Ginger and Marshmallow last year... she kept trying though and followed me until I started petting her with the duster. Now shes laying down and purring heavily. She was rubbing against me and just adored the duster. Still cant give her my hand it seems but its progress I will definitely take. I never expected her to come this far.
Welcome back. I am so glad you are home safely and the cats did well.

I am not surprised by the pictures. I am a little surprised it was Panda that took a little longer to rebound. Sandy did really well. The petsitter must have done a very good job. That is terrific!!

Ferals tend to be really bonded to their parent so they tend to have a difficult time when that person is gone. You have definitely done really well with them that they did so well while you were gone.

Awwwwwwww, wow. Sandy really loves you. Yes, ferals can be VERY quiet when meowing (or not audible at all). My oldest girl and boy are exactly like that. My boy does not make a sound meowing while my girl is REALLY quiet.

Sandy purring is really a sign of being happy you are home. That is REALLY heartwarming. The bond she has with you is awesome. You should really be proud for all you have done for her.

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how it was going. It went a lot better than I expected which is great. I take it your other cats did real well.

I am so glad you got home safely and all went well. I am sure it is nice to be home around that kind of love. Well done!!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The other cats did well. Baxter was noted to be very friendly and affectionate (which he is, Baxter will literally give me hugs).

Sandy's change is like wow...she's almost like a different cat than the cat that I rescued. She comes out when I come in, rubs against me and purrs and meows at me when I get out of bed or come in my room wanting me to pet her. I still cant use my hand but she loves the duster. I'm trying to figure a way out to introduce hand petting. She also lays down beside me when I'm on the floor or lays down on my shoes.

20200525_014250.jpg

I'm so happy for this, I honestly didnt think she would ever warm up to me like this and to see her going from a scared, shy and possibly abused feral to a trusting and happy cat brings me joy. She's safe and happy now.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww, dang, that made my whole day!! Good for you 👍 and thank you for such a fantastic update 😊

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The other cats did well. Baxter was noted to be very friendly and affectionate (which he is, Baxter will literally give me hugs).

Sandy's change is like wow...she's almost like a different cat than the cat that I rescued. She comes out when I come in, rubs against me and purrs and meows at me when I get out of bed or come in my room wanting me to pet her. I still cant use my hand but she loves the duster. I'm trying to figure a way out to introduce hand petting. She also lays down beside me when I'm on the floor or lays down on my shoes.

View attachment 336027

I'm so happy for this, I honestly didnt think she would ever warm up to me like this and to see her going from a scared, shy and possibly abused feral to a trusting and happy cat brings me joy. She's safe and happy now.

I figured the other cats did well but great to hear it from you.

Sandy is the way she is because of you. The love you have given her. It actually is pretty amazing. Going into a home with 3 other cats is not easy. Luckily she had Panda and you. She is telling you how much she loves you and appreciates what you have done. It is amazing. Cats are very perceptive, they know. They can sense love, trust. And she is letting you know by meowing, rubbing, hanging out with you. You have done an AMAZING job with her.

Your relationship with her brings us a lot of joy as well. I know what you mean, the feeling you get when a cat goes from frightened etc to feeling loved and secure is the most amazing feeling. Seeing that change. Changing a life, saving a life. Gives a meaning to life. I am actually not surprised. You have a gift. Something special. I figured if anyone could get her to feel secure and more confident it would be you but with that said it has gone a lot faster than I thought. But I am not surprised. It is honestly wonderful and your journey has been a true joy for me as well. It has warmed my heart many times.

She is safe and happy and confident now because of you. You should be very proud!!! You really are a hero. And a total success as a person. REALLY WELL DONE!!! :clap2: :purr:

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everytime I come in my room now Sandy practically chases me down and rubs against me as much as she can. I still can't believe how much she has changed and how rapidly she switched in the end.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Everytime I come in my room now Sandy practically chases me down and rubs against me as much as she can. I still can't believe how much she has changed and how rapidly she switched in the end.

:itslove: PURE LOVE!!!

I am not surprised it has happened but am surprised she has accepted and trusted this quickly. AMAZING!!!

She is SO GORGEOUS!! What a sweet cat!!

She is totally loving you, "owning" you. She is wanting more it seems. I get a sense she wants some petting.

When you feel comfortable, what I would do is sit on the floor and have my hand some where she can seek it out and rub on it. Don't move it, don't move it towards her. Slowly get her to trust your hand.

One thing, on the first video she did seem to get a little overstimulated when she went after the duster. So make sure you watch that she doesn't get overstimulated.

On the second video I saw what I call "being a Dolphin". Where the cat goes off their front paws to rub on the top of their head (I use my hand, she did it with the duster). It is SO CUTE. Just like a dolphin jumping out of water.

I see Sandy as a loving, happy cat. It is SO FABULOUS!! To see her loving life.

When you feel comfortable I think you can think about starting to see if she'll rub on your hand. And then we can progress from there. She definitely seems to be loving that interaction. BUT I want you to watch overstimulation with her.

FANTASTIC job with her!! It is so heartwarming to see her this way. Just loving life and loving her father. I know the feeling when it happens to me. I think you are feeling that love and pride and everything amazing (and impossible to describe and put into words). But when you feel it you know it. 😍

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Just wanted to check in and see how you are doing.

Hoping you are staying healthy and upbeat. Please be safe. Wishing you good luck.