Took In Two 1 Yr Old Ferals

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy is really starting to surprise me a bit. She comes up to me but sometimes she will stop midway and get nervous and go another way but its like she's trying to. She almost always insists on playing when I'm in the room and she is super smart. She will just lay on her side with her paws against my mattress and stare at me until I bring her a toy and start playing with her. Sometimes she'll go to a place where I normally play with her and wait for me. She'll chase things now too when I'm moving it with her or pull it behind a corner. When I walk she doesn't get up and move when Im walking toward her, she stays there comfortably and even lets me step right over her (she sometimes like to lay down in the doorway to my bathroom)... but what is really surprising is she is choose to sleep right at the foot of my mattress and sometimes even the side near me when I go to sleep.... She also seems alot less scared when I slide my hand near her for treats and she is eating them right there infront of me without me having to leave. Panda is happy as usual...my new home has carpet so..... .....they all met the Vacuum cleaner. I SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWLY vacuumed the living room while keeping movements subtle while slowly approaching the cat trees where Panda was hiding... I didnt want to get too close but I still had to vacuum. I gave him plenty of space to run (he did). Panda will let me pet him and sometimes he says no, and Im okay with that and just let it go when he doesn't want to be touched and just give him his space.

I let Sandy out the room and she came right out without hesitation and went exploring a bit. She even went and laid down near the other cats as well.

My sister believes Sandy was abused which is why she seems much shyer and less confident than Panda and why she confides in him so much, because Panda was looking out for her. Back when they were still outdoors Panda always made an appearance before Sandy did and for a long time we didnt even know about Sandy. Panda seemed to be the trailblazer at making sure everything was safe, then she would come out. I dont know her history. I do know they often crossed the street and there was a local bar/club there where they were likely picking up scraps and its possible they didnt like the cats. Not sure though. Most of the neighbors there didn't want the ferals, that I knew for certain...I was just lucky enough to beable to catch Panda and Sandy without a cat-trap before animal control came for them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:clap2: :yess: :hyper: So fantastic. She is building that trust. With ferals (especially female ferals) it can take time. Honestly, Sandy has come along a lot faster than I would have expected. BUT that is because you have that special instinct with cats. They can sense the love and goodness in you.

She sounds so adorable. I LOVE how she shows you when she wants to play. And play is such a great sign on trust AND it helps build confidence. So there are so many positives.

The fact she lets you step over her is a real sign of trust. Cats typically don't like things above them so the fact she does so well is a great sign.

Cats respond to our emotions so as you get more comfortable and trusting she will as well and it can feed on itself in a positive way. I think you may be seeing it now. Just keep doing what you are doing and just let her know you trust and love her. She is gong to do great. REALLY GREAT JOB!!

Such a fantastic update!! Honestly, you are doing an amazing job. There is nothing better than to see a feral with a tough life from the streets find a great home and open up. To find that love and safety and trust. I am SO PROUD of you and so THANKFUL to you for saving her life (and Panda's). THANK YOU!!!

Yes, Panda is doing great, not surprising. YOU have really bonded with him and given him that love and trust. Oh yes, the dreaded vacuum. Yes, just go slow, give escape routes and over time they will get better. The more nothing negative happens the faster they will tolerate.

You are truly a life saver. You saved their lives and we are all so thankful for that. I can't say enough of how appreciative and proud I am of you. It is hard to know if she was abused. I hope she wasn't. Female ferals are more cautious in the wild so that cautious behavior is not abnormal. Let's hope that she didn't go through anything bad. The important part is that she has been rescued/saved and is now loved and safe and we are seeing her respond to your love for her. The bond that forms between a feral and their rescuer is truly special. I think you know it as you have it, it is so difficult to describe. You just know it when it is there.

"Panda will let me pet him and sometimes he says no, and Im okay with that and just let it go when he doesn't want to be touched and just give him his space." - PERFECT. That is exactly the right way to respond. Go at the cat's wishes. GREAT job!! No question he loves you and trusts you so nothing to worry about.

"I let Sandy out the room and she came right out without hesitation and went exploring a bit. She even went and laid down near the other cats as well." - WOW, a great sign of how much confident she is and how much you have built her confidence. Great job. Another sign of how well you have done with her. Panda and Sandy are such lucky cats. They found a special person. And I know you get so much from them as well. It is really special. THANK YOU SO MUCH for all you have done and are doing for them.

Thank you so much for the update. I love hearing about them. We get attached to the cats on here. So getting updates are really appreciated. And honestly, hearing this just makes my day. There isn't anything better than seeing happiness and love in action.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I love hearing about them. We get attached to the cats on here. So getting updates are really appreciated. And honestly, hearing this just makes my day. There isn't anything better than seeing happiness and love in action.
how are things going for you-all?

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey sorry for the lack of an update. Things have been busy with the new house then all the panic shopping here lately (I bought more food for the cats than myself)

Panda has become very friendly. My parents have come to stay with me again because the virus scare is worse where they were than where i am. Panda is allowing them to pet him and will even approach them to be pet and also approaches me, stands on his rear legs for pets and is seemingly becoming less and less afraid of it.

Sandy, I'm still working on getting used to hands. While I was playing with her one day I accidentally dropped the string on her while playing with her which she didn't mind. What she did mind was me trying to retrieve it since that would involve physically touching her. I moved slowly to retrieve it which she watched me but when my hand finally got close to her fur she hissed and swatted at me which I managed to evade only getting slightly nic'd. I calmly got up and left the room after that ending the play session and leaving her be for quite some time. She is confident enough to approach me and will get pretty close at times. Once she even came up on the bed near my face (I just remained still and stayed as calm as possible, was hoping she wouldnt try anything) .. sometimes it seems like she's trying to come and sniff me but she gets second thoughts and changes her mind. What I've been doing lately is laying down right beside her and slowly extending my fist toward her (backside exposed incase she swats)... usually just outside of swatting range unless she moves. She generally will stare at it and her eyes will shift like she's very alarmed but sometimes after a moment she will disregard it and just go back to sleep as long as I don't move.

I made a video of some hand / play gestures... she just had a spurt of energy prior to this video so I was hoping to get her more active but she just wasnt ganna have it

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally understandable. Please be safe. And since you are young and may be asymptomatic if you do get it make sure you are very careful around your parents. Please practice all the advice the CDC is giving to protect you all.

WOW, you have done an amazing job with Panda. Really built his confidence. REALLY WELL DONE!!!

With Sandy, that does happen. Cats are really good at sensing our emotions and seeing any changes in our behavior. I wonder if she sensed you were worried and moving differently and she warned you "just in case". BUT the good news is though you may have been nicked she was restrained and didn't want to really hurt you. Which tells me that she is feeling better and more trusting then you may think.

"I calmly got up and left the room after that ending the play session " - You handled it very well. I like to tell the cat "it's ok" and maybe give eye kisses. Try to de-escalate and let them know it is ok.

"She is confident enough to approach me and will get pretty close at times. Once she even came up on the bed near my face (I just remained still and stayed as calm as possible, was hoping she wouldnt try anything) .. sometimes it seems like she's trying to come and sniff me but she gets second thoughts and changes her mind." - This is great. Just stay as calm as possible and relaxed as that should help her feel like everything is ok. She is trying to to get closer but for a feral on the streets for a while building trust is a process. BUT with that said, you have come a long way with Sandy. She is doing fantastically. She may never be a cuddlebug but she may be. Just keep building that trust and confidence with her. You certainly have a way with cats, they can sense your kindness and "goodness". I will not be surprised if she is sleeping with you the next winter's cold nights.

"What I've been doing lately is laying down right beside her and slowly extending my fist toward her (backside exposed incase she swats)... usually just outside of swatting range unless she moves. She generally will stare at it and her eyes will shift like she's very alarmed but sometimes after a moment she will disregard it and just go back to sleep as long as I don't move." - THAT is the key. She disregards your hand. She trusts. And anytime a cat takes their eyes of of someone or something they are telling us that there is no threat. Terrific!!

She is SO GORGEOUS!!! I just love how she is. She sure looks confident and trusting to me. That is a cat that is feeling at home. I love seeing her feel so comfortable. Yes, she was just lazy there. But content.

Just act like yourself around her and trust her like you want her to trust you. Your instincts are great and your way of interacting with cats is amazing so just trust yourself, your instincts. Sandy's body language on that video is really positive and trusting. You definitely have a bond with her!! WELL DONE!!

Thanks for the update. PLEASE stay safe for yourself and your parents.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Totally understandable. Please be safe. And since you are young and may be asymptomatic if you do get it make sure you are very careful around your parents. Please practice all the advice the CDC is giving to protect you all.

WOW, you have done an amazing job with Panda. Really built his confidence. REALLY WELL DONE!!!

With Sandy, that does happen. Cats are really good at sensing our emotions and seeing any changes in our behavior. I wonder if she sensed you were worried and moving differently and she warned you "just in case". BUT the good news is though you may have been nicked she was restrained and didn't want to really hurt you. Which tells me that she is feeling better and more trusting then you may think.

"I calmly got up and left the room after that ending the play session " - You handled it very well. I like to tell the cat "it's ok" and maybe give eye kisses. Try to de-escalate and let them know it is ok.

"She is confident enough to approach me and will get pretty close at times. Once she even came up on the bed near my face (I just remained still and stayed as calm as possible, was hoping she wouldnt try anything) .. sometimes it seems like she's trying to come and sniff me but she gets second thoughts and changes her mind." - This is great. Just stay as calm as possible and relaxed as that should help her feel like everything is ok. She is trying to to get closer but for a feral on the streets for a while building trust is a process. BUT with that said, you have come a long way with Sandy. She is doing fantastically. She may never be a cuddlebug but she may be. Just keep building that trust and confidence with her. You certainly have a way with cats, they can sense your kindness and "goodness". I will not be surprised if she is sleeping with you the next winter's cold nights.

"What I've been doing lately is laying down right beside her and slowly extending my fist toward her (backside exposed incase she swats)... usually just outside of swatting range unless she moves. She generally will stare at it and her eyes will shift like she's very alarmed but sometimes after a moment she will disregard it and just go back to sleep as long as I don't move." - THAT is the key. She disregards your hand. She trusts. And anytime a cat takes their eyes of of someone or something they are telling us that there is no threat. Terrific!!

She is SO GORGEOUS!!! I just love how she is. She sure looks confident and trusting to me. That is a cat that is feeling at home. I love seeing her feel so comfortable. Yes, she was just lazy there. But content.

Just act like yourself around her and trust her like you want her to trust you. Your instincts are great and your way of interacting with cats is amazing so just trust yourself, your instincts. Sandy's body language on that video is really positive and trusting. You definitely have a bond with her!! WELL DONE!!

Thanks for the update. PLEASE stay safe for yourself and your parents.
Admittedly my parents are more of a handful than the ferals. My mom hasnt quite shifted into economic shut down mode and being she's self employed she had this idea that she can just get up and go anywhere and do anything as if it were a normal business day while I'm trying to keep her from going out (unless it were absolutely necessary). Shes bored and overconfident and thinks it's just all a scare and it's really irritating me because if she comes down with it she'll get my entire house quarantined.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Shes bored and overconfident and thinks it's just all a scare and it's really irritating me because if she comes down with it she'll get my entire house quarantined
did you-all have a chance to listen to the government address to the nation yesterday? I was thinking about you today. Maybe you can initiate a house-wide exercise routine - I can understand her getting a little stir-crazy and wanting to just DO something :)

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Admittedly my parents are more of a handful than the ferals. My mom hasnt quite shifted into economic shut down mode and being she's self employed she had this idea that she can just get up and go anywhere and do anything as if it were a normal business day while I'm trying to keep her from going out (unless it were absolutely necessary). Shes bored and overconfident and thinks it's just all a scare and it's really irritating me because if she comes down with it she'll get my entire house quarantined.
Oh my. I know, some people don't think this is serious. I hope you can convince her of the importance of not contracting the illness. Since you are young I am guessing she is young so that helps but 20% of hospitalizations in NYC are of those between the age of 18-44. And anyone that may have some underlying conditions like lung disease, diabetes, heart problems, cancer or cancer survivor, immune issues. And those that smoke or vape could be at higher risk.

The CNN Coronavirus town halls have been really informative for us. It may help to understand the severity of the situation.

Just do your best to let her know you love her and want her to stay healthy and try your best to educate but stay respectful.

I hope you can convince her that this is very serious and that the risks are not only to her but to anyone she may interact with. Let's hope your city implements what is necessary and limits/stops the spread before it gets out of control so people do not have to go through what other cities are going through.

Wishing you all continued safety and health.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sandy was on my bed this afternoon and I went to take a nap. She actually let me lay down right beside her and sleep. She stayed there for some time. I'm sitting beside her on the bed as we speak. She is laying down and not minding me.

Panda purred for the first time while I was petting him. He is becoming very affectionate to petting. He let's my mom and dad pet him too.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:yess::hyper::clap2:😍

Fantastic!!! She trusts!! Such a special and beautiful moment. All your work to build trust and confidence is paying off. As she shows more trust that will help you trust more and the positives will reinforce each others trust.

REALLY GREAT JOB!!!

Awwwwwwwwwww. Panda has been doing great but just another sign of how great he is doing. how comfortable, trusting, confident. Again, a great job!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH for the FANTASTIC update!!! In these horrible times it is great to hear true love at work.

Keep up the great work and stay safe!! You are so amazing with cats!!! THANK YOU for saving their lives AND for giving them great lives!!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey.

Things went from well to rough pretty quickly I'm afraid. I lost my job due to the pandemic and am pretty worried about how I'm going to handle myself and the cats going forward. I am job hunting still but it's going to be a rough road ahead.

Sandy will sniff my hand now instead of swatting it if I slowly present it to her. I try to reward her for that. Admittedly I did catch her off guard once and got swatted pretty hard. I can usually brush her with a duster but cant use my hand just yet. She comes up to me and sits by me when I enter the room and she also likes to lay by my bed when I sleep.

I got a photo of her of how she looks at me when she wants me to play with her. This is what she will do:

20200427_083636.jpg

Eyes all wide and super cute she will just stare at me until I toss her a string.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So today I came into my room and Sandy seemed pretty happy to see me. She came out the bathroom to sit by me and she laid there while I laid on the floor and started playing on my phone.

I was laying down on the floor while not really paying attention to her and I saw her out the corner of my eye start moving toward my feet. I didnt move but she started sniffing my shoes and before I knew it she started rubbing her cheek against my shoes and then laid down along side my legs while nudging her face across my shoes for several moments before she went across to the other side of the room and just stared at me... I then rolled over at my back and gently spoke to her and she came back! She is laying beside me as we speak... I cant believe it...