Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today
was
a
nightmare.

Well not all of it was horrible...I did get alot done but it wasnt fun.

Before I begin:
-- Sandy is spayed - and flea treated - no E-Collar.
-- Panda got his booster shots but they gave the flea treatment to me to administer and that... did... not... work... at... all. He put up a fight - I wasted the flea treatment and he's hiding in the kennel with Sandy. The vet gave me another one for free but I need a better way to apply it.
-- Ginger, Marshmallow, Rabbit, and Baxter all got their vaccinations and flea treaments, but Rabbit is now vomiting uncontrollably. He didn't eat anything before we left either and won't eat right now.
-- Of all the cats that behaved, it was a tie between Baxter (who acted pretty much like he was at home) - and Sandy (who didn't put up any fight according to the vet)
-- Total Vet visit, aprox $450.

I'm on hold as I type with the vet to see if anything can be done about Rabbit's vommitting.

So basically, this morning I decided since all my cats were going to be gone, I would fleabomb the house at 5am to give it enough time to clear for the contractor to come (10am). So, I put the Kennel out, luckily Sandy and Panda went in on their own accord and I didnt have to fight with them to do that. Loaded them up in the car and the resident cats in a seperate Kennel then drove to the vet and waited till they opened. They were slammed because it is a discount animal clinic, first filling up with a ton of dogs and I started getting second thoughts but I decided to go with it anyway. I went inside when it was time and they told me because Sandy and Panda were ferals they needed them in seperate cages. I went to PetsMart and bought a separate cage for Panda, and also some double leathered gloves from Home Depot. I took Panda and Sandy into a PetsMart bathroom and with the aid of gloves, scooted a fighting Panda cat into his new Kennel. Reloaded them into my car and drove them back to the Vet.

At the time, they could only see Sandy (for the Spay apointment) and the rest would be serviced in queue so they told me they would text me about 30 minutes before they would be ready. Since it was going to be a few hours, I had other errands to run. It's 100*F here in Texas so I always had to leave the car and A/C running at max and leave it unattended as least as possible. I have the ability to leave the engine on but disable it from being stolen and even lock the doors without locking myself out.

After about 2.5 Hours of running arrends they called me and told me they were ready, so I brought them in. They weren't sure if they were going to be able to do anything for Panda so they saved him for last. Marshmallow put up a fight. Ginger tried to get away. Baxter plainly made friends with everyone even during the operation and ended up playing and hugging on me right after getting his shots.. and Rabbit was apprehensive. Panda...was scooped up in a blanket and only the parts they needed were exposed...he didn't fight too much. Then they gave me all the flea treatments to take home. Sandy got hers (thankfully) during her spay operation...but they needed more time with her so I took the resident cats + Panda home to get them out of the heat and back in a familiar environment.

I had enough time to apply the flea treatments to all the resident cats who were fairly apprehensive except for Baxter who practically welcomed it. Then....it was time for Panda... I was thinking, yea sure I'll just dip it on him while he's in the Kennel...only I came in the room to find a very aware and a very adverse Panda at the door of his Kennel looking right at me just waiting on me to try something. In short after trying again and again, getting swatted at, bit, and even trying to go around the room after him - didn't happen...ended up dropping it on the floor wasting it...plus Im pretty sure I wrecked his trust in me.

I went to pick up Sandy, they told me they didnt put the E-Collar on her because she's a Feral and it would make for a nightmare...I was glad for this... so she looks completely out of it and is currently in the back of her Kennel, with Panda infront of her sleeping there protecting her.

any idea as to how I can administer this flea treatment?
Panda may be freaked out now but he will get over it in a couple days. As for the flea treatment.....yeah that's going to be a problem. My only advice would be wrap him in a blanket or towel if you can and just have his head and the back of his neck exposed and squeeze it on as fast as you can. You may want to wear one of your gloves on the hand you'll be holding him with but you'll probably want your other hand free to be able to squeeze the medication out, most people can't manage things like that very well if they're wearing gloves.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Really worried about Rabbit. He's still vomitting and wont eat. I cant quite afford to go to another vet right now.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Today
was
a
nightmare.

Well not all of it was horrible...I did get alot done but it wasnt fun.

Before I begin:
-- Sandy is spayed - and flea treated - no E-Collar.
-- Panda got his booster shots but they gave the flea treatment to me to administer and that... did... not... work... at... all. He put up a fight - I wasted the flea treatment and he's hiding in the kennel with Sandy. The vet gave me another one for free but I need a better way to apply it.
-- Ginger, Marshmallow, Rabbit, and Baxter all got their vaccinations and flea treaments, but Rabbit is now vomiting uncontrollably. He didn't eat anything before we left either and won't eat right now.
-- Of all the cats that behaved, it was a tie between Baxter (who acted pretty much like he was at home) - and Sandy (who didn't put up any fight according to the vet)
-- Total Vet visit, aprox $450.

I'm on hold as I type with the vet to see if anything can be done about Rabbit's vommitting.

So basically, this morning I decided since all my cats were going to be gone, I would fleabomb the house at 5am to give it enough time to clear for the contractor to come (10am). So, I put the Kennel out, luckily Sandy and Panda went in on their own accord and I didnt have to fight with them to do that. Loaded them up in the car and the resident cats in a seperate Kennel then drove to the vet and waited till they opened. They were slammed because it is a discount animal clinic, first filling up with a ton of dogs and I started getting second thoughts but I decided to go with it anyway. I went inside when it was time and they told me because Sandy and Panda were ferals they needed them in seperate cages. I went to PetsMart and bought a separate cage for Panda, and also some double leathered gloves from Home Depot. I took Panda and Sandy into a PetsMart bathroom and with the aid of gloves, scooted a fighting Panda cat into his new Kennel. Reloaded them into my car and drove them back to the Vet.

At the time, they could only see Sandy (for the Spay apointment) and the rest would be serviced in queue so they told me they would text me about 30 minutes before they would be ready. Since it was going to be a few hours, I had other errands to run. It's 100*F here in Texas so I always had to leave the car and A/C running at max and leave it unattended as least as possible. I have the ability to leave the engine on but disable it from being stolen and even lock the doors without locking myself out.

After about 2.5 Hours of running arrends they called me and told me they were ready, so I brought them in. They weren't sure if they were going to be able to do anything for Panda so they saved him for last. Marshmallow put up a fight. Ginger tried to get away. Baxter plainly made friends with everyone even during the operation and ended up playing and hugging on me right after getting his shots.. and Rabbit was apprehensive. Panda...was scooped up in a blanket and only the parts they needed were exposed...he didn't fight too much. Then they gave me all the flea treatments to take home. Sandy got hers (thankfully) during her spay operation...but they needed more time with her so I took the resident cats + Panda home to get them out of the heat and back in a familiar environment.

I had enough time to apply the flea treatments to all the resident cats who were fairly apprehensive except for Baxter who practically welcomed it. Then....it was time for Panda... I was thinking, yea sure I'll just dip it on him while he's in the Kennel...only I came in the room to find a very aware and a very adverse Panda at the door of his Kennel looking right at me just waiting on me to try something. In short after trying again and again, getting swatted at, bit, and even trying to go around the room after him - didn't happen...ended up dropping it on the floor wasting it...plus Im pretty sure I wrecked his trust in me.

I went to pick up Sandy, they told me they didnt put the E-Collar on her because she's a Feral and it would make for a nightmare...I was glad for this... so she looks completely out of it and is currently in the back of her Kennel, with Panda infront of her sleeping there protecting her.

any idea as to how I can administer this flea treatment?

First off, you did a lot and you are awesome!! You are a hero!!

GREAT that Sandy is now spayed. Just keep her quiet as much as possible.

Panda. Sadly that happens. It is hard. The poster just before this gave great advice about using a towel with him and trying to apply it that way. It is not easy but just do your best. He WILL get over the tussle that will probably happen. So don't worry about that. Just give him treats ad do all you do with him and he will get over it in a day or a few days. He will be fine. The flea treatment is the most important thing for him and the others now.

I am SO SORRY about Rabbit. Bad reactions do happen sometimes and it seems like lately there have been more for some reason. Call your vet and ask what can be done. Just try to make rabbit comfortable and monitor closely. Cats can go without food for a while and for water for a little less. Hopefully with rest he will get better soon. He is a healthy cat it sounds so that helps a lot. but stay in touch with your vet.

I am so glad that the others are doing well. Some ferals do get very calm almost like a statue. That is actually really good and I am so glad that she did so well.

That is not a bad vet bill at all for all you had done. I am so glad. I know it is a lot but sometimes it can be a lot more.

Wow, what a day. You did an AMAZING job!!!

Yes, it is hard to apply when they are in the kennel. So at some point you'll have to use the towel as the other poster mentions and apply. He will come out of the kennel and look for play and food and there should be an opportunity at some point. He is going to be ok. I have had to do things like this and the cats get really mad but with good food and play and love/kindness they come around again. I have no doubt Panda will be fine very soon after you apply the treatment.

Please keep us up on Rabbits progress. I hope Rabbit gets well soon.

Keep a litter box near the kennel for Sandy. The less movement the better. If the kennel is big enough I keep the cat in the kennel with a litter box and a water dish (depending on the kennel) can be attached on the side (with a food dish).

Whew I am exhausted reading this so I can imagine how drained you are (physically and emotionally). You did an amazing job and most of the hard work is now done.

Keep monitoring Rabbit and keep in contact with the vet.

Keep Sandy as still and quiet (not moving around) as much as possible.

Do you best to get that treatment on Panda. Using a thick towel is best. Or a glove and the towel but as the poster says gloves can make it hard to administer the treatment.

I am going to see if Shadowsrescue has some good ideas as well or knows of any videos that can show how you do it.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I talked with Shadowsrescue and I think there are some really good ideas.

Given you have a really good bond with him do you think you can put it on when he is eating? Kind of come up from behind or on the side of him while he is distracted with eating? Now, when it touches him he will react and move so you have to be quick and you may have to try to apply all of it over a time period. It is a little hard to explain but if you try it you will see what we are talking about. I would try this first before trying the blanket since I think you may be able to be very near him while he is eating. If not, then the blanket move but that can be challenging.

Shadowsrescue did mention a treatment that is eaten with food. I believe it is called "Program". You may want to try the vet and ask about that option. This would be easiest but I am not sure about how effective it is so discussing with a vet is a good idea.

I hope Rabbit is feeling better.

Keep up the great work.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rabbit seems to be doing better. He isnt vomiting and is active. I mixed in pumpkin puree with his food this morning to help him hold stuff down. Panda and especially Sandy were mostly inactive today. Panda probably because his vaccinations and Sandy because her recent surgery.

How long does it take a female cat to overcome the effects of they surgery?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad Rabbit is better. That is great news. Just keep monitoring him but he should be past the issue.

Yes, it makes sense they were inactive. The shots can do that and definitely the spay surgery. Panda should be doing better today. Sandy may be a bit slow still.

It really depends. If you are talking about the anesthesia it can be a day or two where they may be a bit slow. If you are asking about healing and being able to move around safely as to not open the stitches then about 3 or 4 days at the earliest to almost a week. I personally try to keep them inactive for as long as possible (a week).

For your situation I would try to keep her as inactive for as long as possible which should be achievable since she isn't all that active in the first place. If you can keep Panda away from her it would be best so he doesn't get her active. I am guessing the vet you took her to knows how to do these well and is feral knowledgeable so I am guessing the stitches are pretty well done which is helpful in her healing. And eating well is also good.

She'll be sore for a little while but I think she'll start getting a little more active in 3-4 days. But I like to try to keep them as "quiet" as possible for as long as possible.

I hope that helps. Keep up the great work.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One other thing on the flea treatment.

If you try to give it to Panda while he is eating just make sure you don't get any in the food. When he feels it on the back of his neck he will move and that can cause some issues. So just be careful with it and his food. Make sure you get it very close to his neck when you do it and just watch yourself so he doesn't spin around on you. It is hard to explain in words but you know cats and everything so I think you will do fine.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Rabbit seems normal now. Sandy is also alittle more active but also licking herself. When she starts licking in the wrong areas I gently call her name and look at her for a moment and that usually stops her but this may also be associating me with a negative.

Panda is also back to normal and is super playful. He will sniff my hands and come pretty close and also sit underneath me when I'm sitting down at the computer:
20190805_020946.jpg

and paw at me or anything I hang on the back of my chair.

Sandy is....well....
20190804_171244.jpg

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so glad Rabbit is back to normal. Great news.

Try to keep Sandy as inactive as possible still. It is a good sign she wants to be more active though. It is perfectly fine that when she starts licking you say her name. Use a calm confident voice. I would not worry it is associating you with any negativity. She will be fine with it. The important thing is it gets her to stop the licking. I have no doubt that going forward you will make a lot of positive associations with her.

Panda is doing great. The vet visit is forgotten. He is REALLY ADORABLE!! Wow. He sure has bonded with you.

Have you had a chance to get his flea treatment on him?

What in the world is Sandy doing? Is she sleeping? Honestly, how cute is she?!?!?!?!

She must be feeling good. It is hard to tell on the picture but I don't see any redness or swelling. From the picture she looks like she is healing well. Would you agree?

Sandy looks awfully comfortable and happy in that picture.

Great work!! I am really impressed with how you have handled this. This was not easy. Thank you for your commitment and dedication and love towards the cats!! REALLY WELL DONE!! :hyper:

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I tried to put the second flea treatment on while he was asleep but I got nervous that he might recoil and bite me out of shock and spilled half of it while the other half got on his fur on his neck so not sure that will do any good. I want to try again but I may end up just going with something someone else recommended me: 2 in 1 oral monthly FLEA Control for Cats. Also can be used for Dogs weighting 20-35Lb - PetsNeedMeds Animal Products

Tonight I was awoken again and as I opened my eyes, Sandy was there right infront of me within reaching distance looking me dead in the face. I froze, her pupils were wide and her eyes were just locked on mine...her ears didnt rear back nor did she groan or hiss.. I just kind of whispered 'please don't attack me' as she would probably have the upperhand while I'm lying down ... I slowly blinked my eyes as I said this as to show her I intended no harm and did not move as not to startle her... eventually she broke her grip and darted away.. ...she came back as well but Panda intervened and batted at her face causing her to hiss at him and she went back to her corner.

Last edited:

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is understandable. I know how it is. I put treatments on ferals (some not so friendly) so I worry about that as well.

How did he react? That is telling for how he might react in the future. I am guessing his "bar" for biting you would be pretty high BUT I don't want you to take any unnecessary risks so just trust your instincts. Usually cats will run rather than attack if they have exit paths. So make sure when you do it he is not cornered and has ample room to "escape" if need be.

Half is actually pretty good. That should help.

Definitely try again.

I like to check with the vet before using anything since these treatments/medications can be dangerous at worst. It is better to be careful.

Do you see him scratching a lot? Or does he seems to be doing it less?

His coloring makes it hard to see the fleas unfortunately. But can you see any?

Good job. Half is definitely helpful. Better than nothing. Just try again if you feel life you can safely.

Keep up the great work!! You are doing fantastically!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I initially rescued Panda back at the office I held him in the bathroom until he started leaping up objects to get to a high window trying to escape...I had to pull him down from there (hands and arms wrapped in towels and keeping my face well away from him) ...It was extremely difficult but I managed to get him down from the window (he was tearing up the blinds) without getting any battle scars... when I did I just held him for a moment and softly spoke to him and he kind of calmed down for a few moments and just looked at me... I scratched behind his ears and cheeks and even tickled his paws and he made no aversion...and i saw fleas crawling on his face but that was a long time ago - at the minimum I knew he had them.

He is still scratching but not as much as he used to be. Same goes for Sandy.

As far as his reaction...he didn't even notice it and kept sleeping...I wanted to kick myself for wasting that perfect opportunity.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!!! You are seriously brave. It is amazing he calmed down so quickly and let you pet him. You definitely have a way with him or cats in general. But in the future PLEASE do not take such risks. We can figure out a better way.

Good. Some progress. Sandy got the treatment so she should be fine going forward.

Wow. Then I would definitely keep trying to apply it to him. It sounds like he did really well. That is impressive. You have trust with him. Usually they feel it and don't like it. You caught him at a good time so hopefully you can give the rest that way as well.

You two have really built a trust and a bond. That is really great. We don't always realize how much impact the human has on the cat. Panda senses the goodness. Our emotions and what we feel in our heart is so important. Cats can sense the littlest things. It is so helpful in getting them acclimated. Really great job!!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as his reaction...he didn't even notice it and kept sleeping...I wanted to kick myself for wasting that perfect opportunity.
If you're nervous it will make him nervous. You absolutely need to be calm when you are doing things like administering medication, especially for the first time. If you can't manage that then yes, a chewable would probably be a better way to go, but talk to your vet first and ask for options.

I have 4 Cats and 3 of them absolutely HATE getting the topical put on the back of their necks, but I've never once had any of them scratch or bite me. They will try to run as soon as they feel me parting the hair on the back of their neck so I started just holding them down with one hand and sticking the tube against the back of their neck and squeezing with the other. They don't much like that either but again, they don't attack me and just run off as soon as I let them go. I'm lucky that one of my Cats tolerates it very well and will just sit there and barely react.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Welp. Sandy is sleeping on my bed... this is going to be an interesting night.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW!! I think Sandy has found her home!! A great sign of her feeling comfortable and wanting to be by you/your scent. Well Done!!

When you can, check where she was so that there is no discharge from her stitches. Typically we don't want her jumping as they can potentially open up. It has been 3 days and I am guessing the vet is very good at closing but just to make sure everything is ok.

I did not expect this.............. Wow, she is really coming around. REALLY GREAT work with her!!

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A bit of an update:
20190807_165617.jpg

Panda has become super...super...unbelievably playful. He is like an entirely different cat than the cat I caught back in the office. He will come up to me and meow and look at me as if to ask to initiate play. He will also play until 4am... X_x. Panda is now also responding to his name (thats pretty much the only way I can diverge him from something he doesn't need to be in since I can't quite touch him.). I can get very close to him, pretty much house cat level close and he wont hiss. He's still alittle cautious but will sniff my hand and usually run after sniffing it. When I extend a hand out, he sometimes will come across the room to sniff it, won't hiss...sometimes he'll paw at it, other times he'll ignore it.

Sandy is alittle more active. The last 3 nights she has been claiming my bed before I could lay down so I basically would go to it and lay my head on the side of the mattress far from her and try to just remain relaxed there as to get her used to being close to me.. Once she did stay for awhile but usually she will just get up and go across the room. Today however Sandy is tolerating my presence a bit better than she used to. I can get pretty close to her but not too close. She doesnt always run away when Im around her either anymore...sometimes she still will but not as often as she used to. Right now she's laying down on the floor probably about 4 ft away from me so she's fairly close. She doesn't look at me as intensly as she used to either. When I get free time I come in and give Sandy and Panda tiny bits of hot dogs..

Panda is still ALOT more relaxed than Sandy is... still I kind of wish I could pet them... I havent really tried to yet. How long do you think it may be before Panda starts rubbing my leg?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOVE the picture!!! How ADORABLE!!

Panda is doing fantastically well. He is feeling the love you have for him. You are building that trust and building it amazingly quickly. I can't say enough about how well you are doing with him!! Textbook!! Fantastic!!

WOW!!! Sandy is on your bed again!! She actually stayed for a while one day?!?!?!?!? AWESOME!!! Again, this is all your efforts and love for them that is building that trust. She is going by your scent (the bed). Positive association. Just don't make any movements towards her, don't stand above her. Talk calm, confident and lovingly to her. Give her eye kisses. Don't stare at her. It is fantastic that she was 4 feet away from you. That is trust. This is again EXACTLY what we are trying to achieve. Build that trust that all is well. Honestly I am amazed she is doing this well especially after the spay which can be traumatic. Again, this is all you and what you are doing and the love you have for them. Building that trust. Keep up the great work.

Now, I do have to mention, I am not sure hot dogs are the best for them.................. I tend to like to use warm chicken thigh meat to build that bond. If you can't bake chicken sometimes grocery stores have rotisserie chickens or hot bars with chicken that is pretty money efficient and tasty to cats. And of course to humans as well. Just make sure you don't give them the skin with any spices or salt or herbs etc. Just the meat.

Some cats just will not allow petting but most do. And some will never be lap cats. BUT as long as they are happy that is all that matters. I totally see Panda loving petting/love in time. It is hard to know when he will start rubbing but I am highly confident it will happen. It will be interesting, he'll be real cautious and fast the first time, real unsure. Just let him do it. Then he will slowly get more comfortable rubbing on you. It will probably be your legs but it might be your hand. And you'll see him progress. Then he'll probably head butt your hand. Just take it slow on his terms. I am highly confident it will happen. With Sandy, we'll see how it goes. Sandy is doing really well and is ahead of schedule. He progress this last week has been amazing it sounds. We'll just see. Just create that trust and bond using food and give eye kisses etc. And let's see how she does.

Cats are unique. Some love petting, others don't. Some love to go on people, some don't. Some cats are people cats, some are cat cats. It just depends. Female cats are a little different than males (making generalizations). All we can do is build trust and confidence and see how they respond.

Keep up the great work. Take it at their pace and we'll get there. Always here for you.

MikeAW2010

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Soooo I have a question now.

Is there any way I can tell how old Sandy really is? Im beginning to wonder if she is older than Panda because... ...she may be Panda's mother. I don't know for sure as I saw another cat way back when Panda was a kitten that appeared to be the mother.

Panda is suckling on Sandy. I'm alittle nervous about this given she had surgery not to long ago. Sandy and Panda have begun grooming and snuggling together fairly often now... Sandy isn't as afraid as she used to be .. Its interesting the more I think of it these cats definitely had lives before I caught them... They were pretty much always together - usually the mother cat -weens - her kittens off and although Panda is still young he's definitely older than the weening period. I can't tell if Sandy is his literal girlfriend or if Sandy is his mother.

When we left food for them at the office, Panda usually came first and Sandy would stay back until no humans were in site, then eat... that or eat when she knew we couldnt get to her. Panda was a bit more bold. They 'seemed' the same size - Sandy alittle bigger maybe... If Sandy is older that would explain why its more difficult for her to adopt...

meanwhile how long does it take for a cat to heal after being spayed? If Sandy is still healing Im not sure I like the idea of Panda suckling on her... She doesn't 'seem' uncomfortable and seems to be okay...but if I need to do something what should I do?

EDIT:

Well, another interesting thing just happened. I was feeling uncomfortable about the whole thing (would really like another week to pass before Panda starts licking/suckling Sandy) and decided to get Panda's attention. As not to startle them too much I came down on the floor and approached them from just below the mattress (they were on my bed) and Panda came right to me when I called his name... he sat at the edge of the mattress and stared at me for moments and I softly spoke to him and extended my hand up to his paws and gently rubbed his paws with my fingers and he didnt move or react he just remained there and stared at me...then he put his head close to my finger and I slowly moved it to his cheek and he remained there and still and he let me touch his cheek... for the first time I was able to really pet his cheek and he didnt adverse against me ... although I was still alittle cautious and he had is eyes locked on me I just gave him slow blinks and softly spoke to him while rubbing his cheeks... ...and he then....closed his eyes and fell asleep.... I couldn't believe it.

Last edited: