Took In Semi Feral Who Still Has Nocturnal Hunting Behavior..

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have a very sweet, semi feral barn cat that i've been feeding by my work place for about 2 years. Recently after taking her to vets(found out she was around 4 and 12 lbs) and got her a rabies shot and a shot for flea and allergy dermatitis, brought her home (live in a small apartment by a busy road) and she never wanted to do the safe room thing but gets along with my other 2. Problem is her nightly howling and window door pacing. Im sure its her hunting and nocturnal behavior, shes fine in the day time, even plays occasionally with another semi feral i rescued 2 years ago (have post on her from 2015, she never did this) Will she ever get better and not such strong urges, or do i need to take her back? I have on order the Comfort zone Feliway difusser, to see if that helps. Thank you. 13501601_10206496712272721_1776347433864747576_n.jpg

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been fixed? This behavior could be also caused by her longing for a mate.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure. Vet couldnt tell, because of no scar or tattoo. Vet suggest just wait to see if she goes in heat or get a hormone test (a blood test i just learned about that according to a website breeders mainly use and could tell if she was spayed, can also tell when in season) but it can cost $140 and up. She only does this at night till 4 or 5 am. Never saw her in heat when feeding her and playing with her at work, but still could have missed it.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd bet that if there was no scar that she has not been spayed. If she was feral before, then she would never have gotten into a clinic to be spayed anyway.

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Probably hasnt been, but thinking this is more a internal nighttime hunting behavior. She would be quiet if i was up with her but as soon as i went to bed, she started up. She and i finally fell asleep at 6 am. Shes so sweet i think she may have had a home at some point but been out for a few years living in that hay barn.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you've been feeding her for 2 years, I would think she would have been noticeably pregnant and had kittens during that time if she weren't spayed at some point in her earlier life. I'd not pay for a hormone test.

Hopefully, given a little more time to settle in, she'll adjust naturally to a more "human schedule" like the other cats. I'd play with her during the day as much as possible. Try to tire her out so she's more inclined to sleep when you do.

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's what i was thinking and hoping also. A moth flew in when i got home tonight, n that kept her and my others busy for awhile lol.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, that's what i was thinking and hoping also. A moth flew in when i got home tonight, n that kept her and my others busy for awhile lol.
I used to buy 3-4 feeder crickets at the pet store on occassion. I had one cat who thought that "Catch the cricket in the bathtub" was the coolest game ever invented. The other two cats at the time...not so much. lol

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking that she might enjoy the no-bowl feeding system to keep her occupied and satisfy her hunting urge: Cat Food Dispenser: Interactive Cat Toys | NoBowl Feeding System, this is quite pricy ($60 for something that will probably be completely destroyed in a matter of days), so what you can do is just make one yourself by cutting holes in a clean, empty Gatorade or water bottle and putting kibble inside for your kitty to retrieve by first finding the container, and then rolling it around to make pieces of kibble come out of the holes.

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to buy 3-4 feeder crickets at the pet store on occassion. I had one cat who thought that "Catch the cricket in the bathtub" was the coolest game ever invented. The other two cats at the time...not so much. lol
Awe, funny. bet that was a sight to see :)

2 cat servant

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm thinking that she might enjoy the no-bowl feeding system to keep her occupied and satisfy her hunting urge: Cat Food Dispenser: Interactive Cat Toys | NoBowl Feeding System, this is quite pricy ($60 for something that will probably be completely destroyed in a matter of days), so what you can do is just make one yourself by cutting holes in a clean, empty Gatorade or water bottle and putting kibble inside for your kitty to retrieve by first finding the container, and then rolling it around to make pieces of kibble come out of the holes.
Cool. thanks ill try it.