Took In A Foundling This Morning

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this thread. I hope when you say you gave her milk that it wasn't cows milk. Cats are very lactose intolerant. You might try soaking some kitten kibble in either the KMR or goats milk.
If she's a big breed, then the weight vs. age doesn't really apply. When my girl was 4 weeks, she was already over 1lb. At 8 weeks, she was over 2lbs, and when I had her spayed at 11 weeks, she was around 3.5 lbs. At 18 months she's 25 lbs. So if yours is a big breed (which she may very well be), then the vet may be correct about her age.

If you can't figure out how to put photos on your computer, then email yourself the photo from your phone and save the picture to your photo file and use it from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I only tried a little cow's milk when I first brought her in. I've been giving her KMR since then.

Have been trying the "E-mail to self" for some time and can't get it to work. a couple hours' searching told me how to do it using a USB cable. I hope these come through:

Attachments

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for making the effort-what a darling! I think you're right about the longhair.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is quite a roly-poly, about as wide as she is long. Doesn't walk--she waddles!
The big obstacle for her is to climb over the stretcher under the chair in the room. She's managed to do it a couple of times. Still hasn't started climbing yet. That should be fun when it happens.

I'm starting to think she might not be as old as I first thought.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A question between updates:

Orange will eat most solid foods offered to her and drinks water regularly. How long should I keep supplementing with KMR?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For orphans/foundlings I like to add a bit of KMR to their food until they're at least 12 weeks old, just to make up for any nutrients they might have missed out on. That's probably not strictly necessary. Up to you. Might be convenient to use up the container :D.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Update:

Took her to the vet the other day for a follow-up. He's pleased with her progress. She's eating solid food, which I will supplement with KMR until it's gone. When she's done with the worming regimen in a couple weeks, she'll start the vaccinations. Spaying and microchip will come after that.

Her eyes are changing color--I think they'll be yellow and all her milk teeth are in.

She got over her hurdle of the chair stretcher. Her time is occupied now annoying the other two cats, which are warming up to her.

This morning, I found out she can climb stairs. I had found her a couple times at the landing and had taken her back upstairs. Well, I figured I'd see if she could come back up. She climbed them like a champ! As I write, she's downstairs, back at pestering the other cats. I'm in trouble now...

Weight this morning is 1 lb, 10 oz./735 g.

Thanks to all of you for your help. I think she's over the hump now.

Last edited:

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have been posting about this foundling of mine. She seems to be doing okay, but I was wondering if her weight seems in line with established norms and if it seems I'm feeding her enough or too much.

To the best of my estimation, she's seven weeks old. She weighed in at 2 pounds, 1 1/2 oz. (940 grams) this morning. That's almost a doubling of her weight in three weeks. Too fast? Others here have suggested she might have some large breed in her background. She doesn't seem too fat upon feeling her, but she does look like a roly-poly (which might only be her long fur).

She eats a little more than a 3 oz. can of wet kitten food a day and maybe 1/4 cup of dry kitten kibble that I free-feed her at night. Does this sound right?

She won't be going back to the vet for another week. I will ask then, but for the meantime, maybe someone from here can guide me.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, another update:

Kitten Orange has started coming when called to "Meep," my mimicking of her normal call. So, I guess Meep is her name now.

Took Meep to the vet's for her first vaccinations. Vet was happy with her progress. She's up to 2 pounds, 5 ounces now (about 1 Kg). Her legs still seem short, but they're growing. I had thought perhaps there was some munchkin blood in the mix, but I guess not.

Humane Society doesn't want to spay until 3-4 months, although she meets their weight requirement. Seems a bit backward with respect to most these days, but the price is right at the Humane Society.

A couple questions: What do I do about her milk teeth? That will be probably happen in a couple months. I don't remember anything particular about that with the several litters our cats had when I was a kid. Do the kittens generally just swallow them? Also, have any of you had your kitten(s) get into the litter box with the other cats just when they're doing their business? Meep keeps doing that, and I'm afraid she'll get pooped on!

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm sure someone with kitten experience will answer about the milk teeth. I'm guessing if Meep gets pooped on once, she won't make that mistake again. Please post updated photos of Meep (love the name).

ramscici

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi V vince , they will usually just swallow their teeth, or you may find them on the floor. Nothing needs to be done in particular -- but just keep in mind her mouth might be sore when the adult ones are coming in, so maybe try feeding her a little bit of softer food if she will eat it (I know you said she doesn't seem to like it, but maybe she might like a different brand -- I've found my cats loved Wellness, Instinct, and Tiki Cat).

Keep an eye on them, if you see that one is not falling out and is crowding out an adult tooth, your vet might have to extract it.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Been a while. Was getting a bit anxious as her teeth weren't falling out, but this afternoon, I did a mouth inspection and found a hole where one of her kitty fangs had been. I was expecting that I'd find one of the incisors gone between the fangs, but they might already have changed without my noticing (we never found milk teeth when we had kittens when I was a kid, either).

She's gotten used to three feedings daily and eats a mix of soft and dry food. I guess I'll have to soften her dry food with some warm water while this goes on. About how long does this take?

For those with inquiring minds, she's about six pounds and is really feisty and crabby, getting whatever she wants from the other two. She's gonna be the diva in charge around here.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad to hear she's doing well.
(we never found milk teeth when we had kittens when I was a kid, either).
I don't recall ever finding milk teeth on any of mine, and I've had the current two since they were 10 days old. I probably just vacuumed them up without noticing.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surprise! There was a little pink hole on Sunday. Today, there's already a bit of a new fang coming up! It's been over a half-century since I had a kitten around the house. I'm really amazed at this!

Poor little thing. Her gums must hurt something awful. Wetting down the kibble with warm water does seem to help her eat, though.