Took In A Feral Or Stray Kitten

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
View attachment 213231 View attachment 213230 We’ve had another proud moment!!
Laura and I were saying how great it’ll be when she actually comes to sit on us. The cat must’ve understood... 5 minutes later, she jumped up to the sofa arm and looking at me, slowly walked onto my lap and sat down purring.
I may have had manly tears of happiness in my eyes and I’m a 30year Old guy with stretched ears, tattoos, lip piercings and long hair and a kitten made me cry because I was so proud
:hithere::clap::clap2: :hearthrob::cheerleader::wavey: :clapcat::catlove:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Been nearly a month, so thought I’d let you know how it’s going!
Noticed last week that her right eye was a bit glazed and looked like a lens had stuck. Left it a day or two as she was in no discomfort. But after it not getting better and starting to look a bit gunky she had another trip to the vets.
Got given medicine again (because she loved that so much last time...) with the added bonus of having to give her eye drops FOUR times a day.
Once we actually had her in my arms, we could do the medicine and drops within a minute (trained professionals now!) Then reward her with food and she’d forget all about it.

Whenever we go to bed, she follows us and sleeps by the radiator. And will wake us up every morning by jumping on the bed an meowing in my face, that or trying to climb the headboard and falling on my face.

Now we know that she’s not going to hide somewhere unreachable, she’s got full roam of the hotel :)

As she’s been so good, we bought her a present... she’s getting used to it and on it more and more. Only issue is, I’m now jealous that I can’t play on it!
A8694E87-A924-465E-98DA-4B8242454932.jpeg

544DE66C-EE67-4413-B2A1-B8D86FEAE3DD.jpeg

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Been nearly a month, so thought I’d let you know how it’s going!
Noticed last week that her right eye was a bit glazed and looked like a lens had stuck. Left it a day or two as she was in no discomfort. But after it not getting better and starting to look a bit gunky she had another trip to the vets.
Got given medicine again (because she loved that so much last time...) with the added bonus of having to give her eye drops FOUR times a day.
Once we actually had her in my arms, we could do the medicine and drops within a minute (trained professionals now!) Then reward her with food and she’d forget all about it.

Whenever we go to bed, she follows us and sleeps by the radiator. And will wake us up every morning by jumping on the bed an meowing in my face, that or trying to climb the headboard and falling on my face.

Now we know that she’s not going to hide somewhere unreachable, she’s got full roam of the hotel :)

As she’s been so good, we bought her a present... she’s getting used to it and on it more and more. Only issue is, I’m now jealous that I can’t play on it!
View attachment 218002
View attachment 218003
I can see why! It is fabulous! You should post the picture in the 'Pictures of cats enjoying their cat trees'thread.
Also the other pic should be in both the 'Show me your belly' and the 'Show me your stripes & spots, tabby cats only; ), threads. Other threads you could add to are:
'Tender moments', 'Post your sleeping beauties' and 'Naughty Cat'. Sorry, I don't know how to make anything a link. She is beautiful and you are doing a fantastic job. Thanks for the update and pictures, hope to see you around the site.

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, been a while... again.
She’s pretty much settled in. Although the tedium of getting woken up by her persistent meowing at 4am means she gets shut in the front room at night.
She’s always fine and happy to see us in the morning. So can’t really bother her.

On to the “fun” stuff! She escaped. We left some of our dirty clothes outside, her cardboard box and some of her used cat litter.
Nothing the next morning :(
But then! Heard a quiet meowing and she shyly poked her head out from under the hotel and strutted in, looking a bit sorry for herself.
She’s now obsessed with going outside. We’ve decided to leave the front room window open for her. She happily leaves when she wants and comes back when she wants. This seems to have made her happier in general. She’s easier to pick up and make a fuss out of. She’s stopped doing “kitten” stuff, which is a bit sad though.
Also... we now think she’s pregnant, with a black long haired Tom. As we’ve found it chilling in the front room a few times... so there’s a possible story coming from that!
FFD17A6C-F0B6-4420-BE19-11DB29722738.jpeg

BD385995-E351-4F33-B12F-8D57378D3EF8.jpeg

F549C42E-8BB5-4844-83D9-ACAFABFEFC50.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi. Thanks for the update and pics! You didn't get her fixed before letting her out? Do you want kittens? When my childhood cat accidentally got pregnant, she only had 2 kittens, so we ended up keeping them. But sometimes they have 5 or 6. That's a lotta cats.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s lovely ... however if she’s not spayed and is let she is going to become pregnant (many times).

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we never planned for her to get out. But she’s a lot happier and we know no one can get near enough to her to try and hurt her.

My mum and sister are wanting kittens. So we’ll end up given them one or two (mum was looking at a Maine Coon, so this is a cheaper option!)
Then she will be getting spayed (the cat, not my mum)
Got a few friends that look after cats too. So none will end up in a shelter or anything like that! Could never abandon one.
87AF0F99-3EC7-44B1-9636-61CF3BFF6528.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well that's good that you have homes for them. Once she and the kitten are spayed, they should get along fine. Sometimes hormones can cause them to fight, but once they are fixed, all my cats have gotten along. It will be nice for her to have a buddy. :)

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we’ll see how she takes to them. We’ve already got a separate room for them and EJ, so they won’t get disturbed. That won’t be an issue. Need to keep scaring away the black cat too.

She parades herself in our hotel window. People constantly walk past, spot her and stop to look at her. And go into melt down ☺
Guests love her as well, though she’s got the common sense to make herself scarce when they turn up.
Whenever we get back from anywhere, she’ll strut upstairs, (knowing we’re going to follow her), and just sprawl out on her back in the middle of the lounge (also knowing) that we’re going to say “belly belly belly” and tickle her stomach.
Ps. Don’t say, “belly belly belly” in conversation by accident when out in public, because you’re so used to saying it. You get strange looks...
59D2084E-6B25-4C5A-8112-803488E5CFF4.jpeg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like you have a good plan. Can you possibly help the little black boy cat and get him neutered? I hate to think about him being scared. Un-neutered male cats can be a pain, but it's just because of the hormones.

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It’s got a collar on. So it must be from around here somewhere.
Can’t say I see it very often though. Maybe twice out and about? Sure it didn’t have a collar then though.
Will have to find out who it belongs too. Between working full time and college full time, I don’t have a lot of time to stalk an elusive cat :p
Will be keeping an eye out though.
Cheers for the comments and advice by the way people :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Next time the black cat comes for a visit, see if you can get a look at his backside, under his tail, and see if he's neutered. :D Are you positive that your cat is pregnant?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are those recent pics of her? She doesn't really look pregnant.

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry for late reply.
Cat is one of the neighbours it seems. So need to talk to them.
Ours is pregnant. Those pictures were before hand. You can feel her nipples a lot more prominent and she’s getting quite big in the belly area. Hard big, not fat. She doesn’t lay on her stomach anymore either, lays on her side.
Seems really healthy though. Eating properly (when the other damn cat hasn’t broken into our house and eaten everything).
But constantly hissing and fighting with this other cat. Every.single.morning I’m having to chase it out. It’s getting tedious. Don’t know what to do about it... I’ve sprayed it with water, hissed at it, chased it. It knows it shouldn’t be inside as it bolts the moment it sees us...

Ps. She’s still a spaz
2A9864F7-7EFF-435C-9753-074647EB1F91.jpeg

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Did you ever get her chipped? You can get cat doors that will only open for the cat that has the right chip, so if you are happy with her being an indoor/outdoor cat one of those would stop the intruder coming in.

Are you sure the big, black cat/neighbour's cat is the one that got her pregnant?

Intact toms are kind of smelly, so most people have their male cats neutered. If it wasn't that cat it could have been a feral tom cat.

Pregnant female cats are very territorial, which could be why she is getting into so many fights. It would be a good idea to keep her indoors until she's had her kittens. She could get injured, develop an infection that will harm the kittens or even decide to take off and have her kittens outside somewhere.

If she's getting close to her due date try setting up a kitten safe room for her with a choice of nesting boxes and keep her indoors until she's been spayed. She'll come into heat again really quickly after having kittens and you don't want another "Whoops!" litter.

Has she seen a vet since she's got pregnant? I recommend you get her blood tested for FIV and FeLV. Both disease that are passed on by mating. It's good to know what you are dealing with before the kittens are born. The vet will be able to tell you how many she's having and when they are due too.

:goodluck: Keep us posted.

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, we need to look at the cat flap. The only way in and out for her is jumping up to a cabinet and through a small window that leads to ground level (we own a hotel, so our private part is all in the cellar). So need to see if it’s possible to put it in the double glazing

She’s about 30 days in. First broke out 5th June, think we let her out just after that. And it’s around 58-62 days for pregnancy?

Not sure what cat it is, no. We’re booking her into the vets for a check over and to see how many.

She’s not fighting fighting, more a hiss fight. (No signs of cuts or anything), but closer to her birth, we were planning to keep her in so she doesn’t have them outside somewhere. Didn’t even think of infections to be honest...

We’ve got a few places for her, with the towels she likes laying on and in the places she likes to rest in. And a few places hidden out the way when she wants to escape a bit.
We’ve kept the old boxes and towels, so somewhere familiar for her. She’s such a happier cat now

Then once she’s had them, going to take them all to the vets to get checked over and get her spayed. (Keeping her in after the birth until the vets and see what they say).

Exciting!

Thanks for all the advice one again!
09E3D97E-9979-4DFB-B1E2-BC4003D12D22.jpeg

Excuse the Carling, was working on the car and then the cat distracted me :p