Took In A Feral Or Stray Kitten

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
747C687F-6DE7-436F-A074-08F83C950E5B.jpeg
Meet EJ20 (EJ)

She’s a feral or stray kitten that we found between two Subaru engines in our drive (the engines are called EJ20).
We've been leaving food for 4-5 days and she hasn’t moved from between the engines. (May have been longer without us knowing).
We bought her inside yesterday. She’s still scared of everything. But she’s eating and crapping in the litter tray, success!
Today, she’s venturing out her cage a bit and coming to sit near us, but not really letting us stroke her.
Though we’re managing to play around with her now, she'll chase some string and if we bring it near us, she'll jump and run over us. We can gently stroke her when she's chewing the string and then remember that we're actually stroking her and freeze. Then get back to the string.
I can pick her up with no real issue to bring it into my games room with us (yeah, we video game too much), she's got her own blocked off area where she cant chew cables. Then when we're going to sleep we'll carry her to the bedroom. She's got a whole walk in wardrobe to herself, covered cage, towels etc.
She's eating very well, we're putting down 3 wet food pouches down a day with a bit of water in, because she doesn't drink any water at all? Should I be worried.
She also doesn't really move unless we're trying to encourage her to play. She'll just sit there and sleep.... constantly.

Any advice?
24174247_10155823857926678_3383973747960520400_n.jpg
24174464_10155823857921678_6612007676397211438_n.jpg

It’s going to be a long road for us and her, but one rescued kitten

Chris

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thankyou :)
Forgot to say that actually, she's going to the vets tomorrow to have a full check up and any jabs needed. She's got a slightly runny nose, but putting that down to it being outside for a while.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She has an adorable face and I love her markings. Congrats to you and to her! :dizzycat:

If the pouches of food are 78% or more moisture content, she doesn't need to drink any water. I raised my feral kitty with no kibble and she's only ever used her water bowl to dip her front paws into after using her litter.

Sounds like you're doing everything right and she's going to make a fine companion. Keep up the good work! :purr:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh she looks exactly like my Gracie ! She’s eating wet food so do not worry too much about water - just keep a bowl out for her as you are doing . She looks very sweet and content. She may be a stray rather than feral . Bless her .

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
6714E95F-2235-4948-978D-86FB66066C48.jpeg
Well, today she’s off to the vets.
Gonna have the cage covered, so hopefully calm her a bit!
Feel a bit crap taking her, every time I see her “smile”, I feel a tinge of guilt knowing what’s coming. Seems like we’re taking away any trust that we’ve gained!

It’s for a check over and jabs needed etc.
She’s eating well still, drinking the water I’m mixing the pouches in too.
Her cold seems to be going which is good news!

She’s also jumping on the bed and slowly getting close to us and laying down, then moving a little bit closer. Movement you move, she panics a bit but usually stays where she is.

Thanks for the advice :)

I’ll post and update after the vets!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't feel guilty for taking good care of her health. Yes, the vet's office will be scary for her, but like Maggie said, I bet she'll be overjoyed when you get back home and she sees that she "survived the ordeal". Stay calm and positive; she'll pick up on your emotions.

She is so cute. I just want to reach through the screen and give her cuddles! :petcat:

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She’s also jumping on the bed and slowly getting close to us and laying down, then moving a little bit closer. Movement you move, she panics a bit but usually stays where she is.

Give her some time and she’ll be taking over the bed ! My one stretches along the bottom of the bed at night !

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well, she properly hissed at the Vet guy and trashed the place!
Good news though, she’s healthy. Just very scared of everything. After giving her the jabs, he said she’ll start to settle and her personality will come out.

Got her the flea spot treatment too, so don’t need to worry about that now either.

He thinks she’s around 4 months due to her size and weight (1.71kg)
He’s happy with her. We just need to go back in 3 weeks for a booster jab :)

My mum has said she’ll buy her an Activity Tree for Xmas for her and us. So hopefully that’ll make her more comfortable. I’m also in the process of making one myself :)

Edit: just scanned by through my post, I apologise for some awful English! I’m usually at work try to quickly type before my Manager sees :)

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Only 4 months - poor baby . Assume no chip was in her either. My cat is 14 month, I’ve had her since she was 7 weeks and she’s still a narky so and so. I hear female cats are :insertevillaugh:

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cute and a bonus...full of spunk! Glad to hear the vet visit went as smoothly as might be expected.

I'll look forward to reading further adventures of EJ as she gets acclimated. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a spunky little girl. Did she try to scratch the vet? Did you have to wear gloves?

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Don’t think she’s chipped. Highly doubt it.
We’re going to keep her inside I think, so doubt we’ll get her chipped either.

I’m sure there’ll be more stories! Lol.
She didn’t try to scratch or bite. Just hissed like a wild animal!
Didn’t need to wear gloves, we never have.

Will keep you updated :)
Thanks again.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to the site. :wave2: EJ is totally adorable. Thank you for rescuing her. :petcat:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a good girl then! Hissing is much better than scratching.

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet I thought would have checked if had a chip if you said found her...Grace is an indoor only cat however she has a chip as you never know.. I’ve been watching this programme ‘cats and kittens’ and they found a cat thought was a stray, however she had an up to date chip .. the cat’s human mum was so relieved when they rang her she cried as thought she was forever gone !

ChrisValentine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Valid point. I need to take her back 28th December, so I'll ask the vet then. What's the rough price of a chip?