Took in a cat a couple weeks ago not sure if she is pregnant

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I recently took in a long haired kitty that had been living outside and eating out of my garbage. Since I have taken her in it seems like her belly is a little bigger. I am not sure if she is pregnant. I find it strange that her belly would have grown just from regular feeding for 2 weeks. She is a bigger cat and when I feel her belly it does not feel like fat just feels a little more rounded in the middle than before mostly on the sides of her belly

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she may be pregnant, which is not unusual for a stray cat who is not spayed. You can get it confirmed by a vet, or wait it out. I'm sure she appreciates a proper diet now after eating out of garbage cans.

Do you have experience with a pregnant cat or kittens? We have lots of helpful articles.

Thank you for rescuing her! She's a beauty! Keep us posted! [emoji]128571[/emoji]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she may be pregnant, which is not unusual for a stray cat who is not spayed. You can get it confirmed by a vet, or wait it out. I'm sure she appreciates a proper diet now after eating out of garbage cans.

Do you have experience with a pregnant cat or kittens? We have lots of helpful articles.

Thank you for rescuing her! She's a beauty! Keep us posted! [emoji]128571[/emoji]
I have some experience but most of the times I have found cats and kittens it was after they have given birth outside rather than before. I have cared for orphaned kittens and hand raised them and provided food and shelter to ferals who were pregnant outdoors but I have not had a cat give birth in my home before so if she is pregnant this will be new for me. Most pregnant cats I have found in the past would not let me get too close.

Still not sure if she is pregnant or not, we'll see..

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well her nipples are larger now but not pink/red

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is definitely pregnant so kittens probably only a few weeks away. Any suggestions on preparing for her giving birth?

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is doing well. Her belly is much larger now. Her nipples just began pinking up about a week and a half ago. The last couple of weeks she has been sleeping more and generally been less active. I believe she is about 6 weeks along. She has been wanting to lay on the rugs on the floor lately rather than on the furniture so I made her a bed on the floor.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Terrific! [emoji]128077[/emoji]

Make sure they all stay warm and nurse well.

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They seem to be nursing well, they are all nursing at the same time and are all about the same size. It does seem that the box is a little small for her and the kittens though. Would it be possible for me to give her a bigger box or will she want to keep the kittens where they are? It also seems like she doesn't want me in the room when the kittens are nursing but I am keeping an eye on them to make sure they are all getting what they need.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it would be fine to move them to a bigger box, I have found that dog crates make great nesting boxes!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, a bigger box would be better. This box will seem even smaller as the kittens grow.

Do you have a way to add a heat source for when mom is away from the nest? Is the box in a private place?

Last edited:

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The box is in the corner of my extra bedroom been keeping her in there away from my other 4 cats. I can put a heating pad on the bottom of the box but I wasn't sure if it was a good idea to move the kittens so I can put it in there. Going to get a larger box for them. I don't have a dog crate just large plastic hard carriers boxes and a laundry basket

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just make sure that any basket you put them in doesn't have holes that kittens could get stuck in. Move the kittens quickly and while mom is up if you can. You can leave a blanket that smells like her in there if it's clean.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the heating pad set on low and under the blanket. The big plastic bin sounds good.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can also put the heating pad under one half of the nest, so they can scoot over if they get too warm.

kittylover100

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree I think the gray tuxedo is my favorite because it is different from the others.