Took For Her Checkup Yesterday, She Seems Sick Today & No Appetite. Couple Of Concerns/questions.

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I hope everyone's doing well! I had a couple of questions/concerns regarding my cat which is a domestic short hair. Her name is Princess, she just turned four years old, she was spayed a couple weeks after we adopted her since she was too young for the spay surgery at the time that we adopted her. Thankfully, she's been healthy as can be since we've had her. We've also been taking her in for her yearly veterinarian check ups.

Yesterday, we decided to get the 2018 yearly checkup finished for her her, so we brought her for the vet. This year was the most sick she's gotten about 4 hours after coming home from the vet. She was very lethargic, she was breathing heavily, and her face looked swollen, her eyes looked very droopy, and when she would walk, it seemed as if she had balance issues and couldn't walk straight at all and her tail stayed pointing down, when usually it's pointing up when she walks.

I tried to do some research and some people say this is normal after getting the rabies vaccine or her FVRCP shot? Also she had a small case of ear mites which wasn't too bad so they cleaned her ears very nicely and gave us an ear ointment medicine called 'Tri-Otic Ointment' with directions to "Apply 3 drops to left ear and massage ear afterwards. Use every 12 hours for 3 days". We had the doctor apply 'Revolution' to her because he recommended it for ear mites, & she also got her one year rabies vaccine. We also asked for complete blood work to be done to check glucose levels, etc as well as a fecal sample to check for any parasites.

Figured better safe than sorry! Our previous 12 year old cat died due to diabetic ketoacidosis which was beyond heartbreaking to witness so we're definitely taking as many precautions as we humanly can in regards to diet and checkups. Thanks so much in advance, we appreciate any and all advice and/or support. I'll include an image of everything we requesteed to be done as well. We should be getting a call before the weekend with the bloodwork results as well as ictuofthe fecal exam results. Thanks again for the help. Here's a link to the image of everything performed if you prefer a link and I'll attempt to upload the image here (I'm on my cell, apologies):

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apologies if the pictures are too big, I don't know how to edit my post and I'm on my cellphone at the moment. Sorry everyone!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The ear mite medicine might be the culprit. Applying two different meds might have been too much. Cats DO become lethargic and sleep a lot after vaccinations, but having all those shots and two different ear mite meds might have been overload. I would call the vet and ask them about your concerns, they may have you discontinue the drops. I see she got a steroid shot too, Prednisolone, was she acting sick? I would hope she is feeling a little better the next day, my cats lay around for almost two days, but each day they get a little more lively. Make sure she is eating and drinking, the more water the better., you might tempt her with shaved deli turkey and put some cups of water around the house. If she doesn't improve just a little after 24 hours definitely call the vet. All the luck!

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The ear mite medicine might be the culprit. Applying two different meds might have been too much. Cats DO become lethargic and sleep a lot after vaccinations, but having all those shots and two different ear mite meds might have been overload. I would call the vet and ask them about your concerns, they may have you discontinue the drops. I see she got a steroid shot too, Prednisolone, was she acting sick? I would hope she is feeling a little better the next day, my cats lay around for almost two days, but each day they get a little more lively. Make sure she is eating and drinking, the more water the better., you might tempt her with shaved deli turkey and put some cups of water around the house. If she doesn't improve just a little after 24 hours definitely call the vet. All the luck!
The Prednisolone was a prescribed liquid medication, I called before they closed and the Doctor said we can discontinue the prednisolone. So all she had was her rabies vaccination, her FVRCP shot, full blood work drawn, revolution for cats was applied by the doctor, the fecal exam, and I'm continuing the tri-otic ointment, 3 drops twice a day is what the dr said to continue giving her for 3 days and the Dr said it's common for cats to feel sick and dizzy and not have an appetite within the first 24 hours after shots. So I guess if shes still not eating in 12 hours I'llI take her back to the vet. Appreciate any and all other tips/advice from personal experience anyone may have. Thanks again

yo0123yo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the input, she's now acting like herself and back to being playful as well as eating like normal. The only thing I'm giving her medicine-wise is the 3 drops twice daily of the tri-otic ointment. The doctor said to use it for 3 days but will it do any harm if I did the 3 drops 2x a day for 7 days instead of 3? Thanks in advance for any input and advice.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely call your vet and ask for his advise on the drops. i'm so happy to hear she is doing a little better. Those shots can really knock them down for awhile! i've had cats that act entirely normal, and some that are definitely sick and lay around for two days. All the luck!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i don't understand why she got the ear drops. I thought the Revolution was supposed to kill ear mites. Am I wrong?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely overkill on the ear mite treatments but what did she get a steroid shot for?