Took Cat For Spay Vet Called And Said Cat Was Male!!

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Soo.....I have had my beautiful girl Kathryn for about 9 months now. When we took her in as a stray we immediately went to the vet and was told she was an unsprayed and possibly pregnant....We waited a few months and she wasn't pregnant, she was showing signs of hyperesthesia so we took her back to the vet. They said no that she was just in heat. So dropped her off today to be spayed and was called and told my Kathryn was actually a male neutered cat! ((((SHOCKED)))) So I said a few choice words as nicely as I could, went and got my cat and went immediately to another vet. Took him 2 seconds to tell it was a male, said its possible he isn't neutered but didn't drop.....but, he is 90% sure he is neutered.......sign has anyone else had this happen???? How can I tell for sure if he is neutered??? Here is my beautiful boy.....Kathryn!
Kat.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, that's crazy! Are you going to keep Kathryn as his name? If you post a pic of his butt under the tail, maybe one of our experts here can tell if he's neutered.

krisrath11

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
O wow, I have never heard of that happening. If u look it up on here it explains the exclamation mark is male and not is female. (Look and it explains better). As far as I know, they should have a tatoo if it is neutered. I would NOT go back to that vet who said he was a she as people on here can tell in pics if they are male or female. So sorry to hear, may be his name should be Kenny? Lol, at least u get to pic a new name!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure....lol maybe.....we called her Kat for short so I guess we could stick with Kat since that has been his/her name for 9 months! He is hiding from me now after a long morning. The vet did say he didn't see any "barbs" I'll try and get a picture.

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
O wow, I have never heard of that happening. If u look it up on here it explains the exclamation mark is male and not is female. (Look and it explains better). As far as I know, they should have a tatoo if it is neutered. I would NOT go back to that vet who said he was a she as people on here can tell in pics if they are male or female. So sorry to hear, may be his name should be Kenny? Lol, at least u get to pic a new name!
I'm just so glad that this doctor noticed before cutting my baby open!!! I immediately went to a new vet and won't be back to that one....I haven't paid attention myself since they said female and he is so pretty lol

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Haha, I have a friend who took her kitten in to be spayed, and he got neutered instead! But the vet didn't tell them he was a girl, that's pretty bad for a vet :/.

How old was he when you got him? Where did you get him? Does his urine have a strong odor? Usually a cryptorchid male will start acting like a tomcat at the usual age---10-12 months---so you should be able to see some signs if he's not neutered.

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They estimated that he was 3 which was 9 months ago. He just showed up and wouldn't leave my house, he isn't chipped and nobody claimed him in multiple lost/missing threads on facebook. He is very very vocal at night when he is in the window. But, he doesn't spray any furniture and I haven't noticed a strong smell with his urine.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
OK, he probably is neutered then. He must have belonged to someone before. If he was a kitten when you found him it would be less likely that he's already enutered but since he was an adult you can probably be fairly sure that he is.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I like Kathryn for a boy. It's character. My first male I ended up naming Ashley. Ashley is actually a neutral name, but for the last 50+ it's traditionally feminine. I wonder if the first vet actually did a complete examination or just took your word for it, thinking he was a she. I'm waiting for the day we switch vets and someone marks Tommy down as female because there's no scrotum left after we had his surgery this spring. There's nothing there now, or anywhere near... He's just got a small channel for his urethra and then his anus.

amandag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I like Kathryn for a boy. It's character. My first male I ended up naming Ashley. Ashley is actually a neutral name, but for the last 50+ it's traditionally feminine. I wonder if the first vet actually did a complete examination or just took your word for it, thinking he was a she. I'm waiting for the day we switch vets and someone marks Tommy down as female because there's no scrotum left after we had his surgery this spring. There's nothing there now, or anywhere near... He's just got a small channel for his urethra and then his anus.

lol well at least you know he is a male! I just can't get over that I took him in after I was told he was a female and possibly pregnant and I'm like I think he is sick, I think he has hyperesthesia and they actually give me a diagnosis of it just being b/c she was in heat......I paid money to be told that! lol

On a side note, the new vet I immediately went to did a full exam at a discounted price and said he doesn't believe he has hyperesthesia b/c he only has the back twitching like every few months or so....