Took Adopted Kitties To The Vet.....

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Orion and Missy Aerial has been sneezing for the last 2 weeks. According to the Vet its an upper respiratory infection. She said to continue to give them Lysine everyday and a probiotic. She thinks it’s hereditary....which is odd to me.

There seems to be mixed views on the internet. Also I’m doing the steam to help unclogged Orion, his URI seems to be the worst with the hacking and such.

Can a URI be hereditary?

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Maybe she means they contracted the infection from their mother. No, I don't think a URI can be hereditary.

Hope Orion and Missy Aerial get better soon. Are they eating well?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe she means they contracted the infection from their mother. No, I don't think a URI can be hereditary.

Hope Orion and Missy Aerial get better soon. Are they eating well?

They are only eating the kibble and not the wet cat food. According to the vet, it’s probably because they can’t smell the wet cat food. Which is odd, because I mixed the dry/wet. She suggests a very foul smelling wet cat food to encourage them to eat it.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No, I don't think a URI can be hereditary.
No, but there could be a genetic propensity to acquire URIs.

They are only eating the kibble and not the wet cat food. According to the vet, it’s probably because they can’t smell the wet cat food. Which is odd, because I mixed the dry/wet. She suggests a very foul smelling wet cat food to encourage them to eat it.
I find that very believable. We had an elderly dog once who began preferentially eating the cat's food. The vet said it was because his sense of smell had deteriorated in his old age; he wanted the cat's food because it tends to be more stinky than dog food, so he could actually smell it despite his waning nasal abilities.

Margret

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe the vet was referring to herpes which can be passed from mother to kittens?

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From my experience, vets tend to make the diagnosis based on observation of symptoms. Feline herpes is very common. I have heard estimates that up to 85% of cats are infected. However, in most cats it is no big deal after the initial outbreak.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The Real PCR URD test will test accurately for herpes. If they do have herpes, there's a lot you can do to boost their immune system and keep the flare ups to a minimum.

You can try warming up the wet food with some warm water or in a water bath to help enhance the aroma. Steam them in the bathroom to help clear the nose. You can also put 1-2 drops of plain saline nose drops (I use Little Remedies Little Noses PLAIN drops) several times a day.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Feline herpes (FHV-1) is a very common upper respiratory disease, so much so that most owners and vets just take it as a given that cats and kittens (like in shelters, rescues, etc) have been exposed to it.

stephanietx stephanietx is right that the URD PCR panel can test specifically for particular URD (upper respiratory diseases).

When my kitten was young, the vets just figured her symptoms were from FHV-1 but I guess I just wanted to get her tested so that I would know for certain what I was dealing with. It did cost me $166 to do this, though!
This is what those PCR URD test results can look like:
Feline Herpes