Too young

kalikat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Top Cat
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Messages
2,057
Purraise
1
Location
Sydney N.S.W
Hi Kerry, great to have you aboard.
My son rescued a 3 week old kitten last September after he saw someone tip something out of a bag. He brought her home & when the vet couldn't take her in, I hand raised her.
She's a torty/calico & my 15 y/o old cat is also a torty & I was told they aren't the friendliest of cats as the 15 y/o never lets you hold her unless you're standing.
Blossom is now 9 mths old & she is wild at times. She looks so cute when she rolls on her back & stretches as cats do, I just want to pet & cuddle her. She seems OK for a few seconds & then she grabs my hand with claws out, scratches & bites.
Is this because she had no feedback from her mom & siblings? and what can I do about it? We have 2 dogs & she loves to play with them & they don't chastize her if she goes over the line.
Also is there any way to stop her from jumping on anything she likes? I've tried double sided sticky tape, aluminium foil, water spray bottle (which I don't use often, if I do & she sees it she runs away). None of these work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love her to bits & want to be able to have a friendly, snuggly cat as a friend.
 

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Joined
Aug 29, 2005
Messages
19,900
Purraise
42
Location
SW Minnesota
If kittens are allowed to stay with mom and siblings till 10-12 weeks old they learn "cat" behavior and how to act appropriately; so that could be the answer of most of her problems - she doesn't know HOW to behave and the much older cat doesn't feel like teaching her.

I'm assuming she is desexed at this age (9 months). She's in the bratty teenage stage right now and that accounts for some of the reactions. Till she settles down more, use interactive play with fishing toys, strings, feathers, or the laser light pens to play.

When she does get too rough, let your hands go limp - do NOT pull away - it creates a "prey getting away" reaction and she will be worse. Just stop and tell her NO in a firm voice or "hiss" at her when it happens.

She'll eventually learn, but because she didnt' have the advantage of mom for longer, it will take longer for her to get used to things.
 

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
75
Purraise
5
Location
Tallahassee, Florida USA
Hi there! I love your smilie at the bottom with the kitty rubbing on it, sooooo cute! The answer to your first question, why only after petting her for a short time Blossom grabs your hand and bites and scratches, well when she lays on her back it is her way of saying she trusts you. Yet a cat's tummy is there most vunrable and well protected areas, very few will allow you to pet and rub it without bringing out their claws and teeth. It's just a natural instinct to protect themselves. Unlike dogs, they do not like their tummies rubbed, it is strickly for show....to show you they trust you and that's it. You however, can get her gradually used to being petted and see how far you can get. What you'll want to do is pet her until you see her tail start to twitch and she shoots you this sideways glance, looking out of the corner of her eyes, that is your que to stop and walk away. Keep doing this, make sure to acknowledge her warning signs, and little by little she will allow you to pet her more and more, she will allow this because you will begin to understand and acknowledge her body language, she will appreciate this and in turn not feel so threatened or the need to strike back at you. Give it a try, I hope Blossom doesn't try to prove me wrong.
And for your last question, can you get her to stop jumping up on things she likes.....mmmmm....not really. Cats like to be up high, you could increase the amount of vertical space you have in your home, scratching posts, window perches, etc. That might deter them from being places where they're not supposed to be, but cats will be cats, mine still get up on my kitchen cabinets and on top of the fridge, just make sure to move your valuables out of the way.

Good Luck and take care!
Kerry

Originally Posted by Kalikat

Hi Kerry, great to have you aboard.
My son rescued a 3 week old kitten last September after he saw someone tip something out of a bag. He brought her home & when the vet couldn't take her in, I hand raised her.
She's a torty/calico & my 15 y/o old cat is also a torty & I was told they aren't the friendliest of cats as the 15 y/o never lets you hold her unless you're standing.
Blossom is now 9 mths old & she is wild at times. She looks so cute when she rolls on her back & stretches as cats do, I just want to pet & cuddle her. She seems OK for a few seconds & then she grabs my hand with claws out, scratches & bites.
Is this because she had no feedback from her mom & siblings? and what can I do about it? We have 2 dogs & she loves to play with them & they don't chastize her if she goes over the line.
Also is there any way to stop her from jumping on anything she likes? I've tried double sided sticky tape, aluminium foil, water spray bottle (which I don't use often, if I do & she sees it she runs away). None of these work. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I love her to bits & want to be able to have a friendly, snuggly cat as a friend.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #4

kalikat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Top Cat
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Messages
2,057
Purraise
1
Location
Sydney N.S.W
GoldenKitty45; I'm assuming she is desexed at this age (9 months). She's in the bratty teenage stage right now and that accounts for some of the reactions. Till she settles down more said:
Thankyou for the suggestions, she was desexed at 5 mths. I have some of the toys you mention, so will make more time to play with her.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #5

kalikat

TCS Member
Thread starter
Top Cat
Joined
Feb 25, 2007
Messages
2,057
Purraise
1
Location
Sydney N.S.W
Originally Posted by CatPsych

The answer to your first question, why only after petting her for a short time Blossom grabs your hand and bites and scratches, well when she lays on her back it is her way of saying she trusts you. Yet a cat's tummy is there most vunrable and well protected areas, very few will allow you to pet and rub it without bringing out their claws and teeth. It's just a natural instinct to protect themselves. Unlike dogs, they do not like their tummies rubbed, it is strickly for show....to show you they trust you and that's it. You however, can get her gradually used to being petted and see how far you can get. What you'll want to do is pet her until you see her tail start to twitch and she shoots you this sideways glance, looking out of the corner of her eyes, that is your que to stop and walk away. Keep doing this, make sure to acknowledge her warning signs, and little by little she will allow you to pet her more and more, she will allow this because you will begin to understand and acknowledge her body language, she will appreciate this and in turn not feel so threatened or the need to strike back at you. And for your last question, can you get her to stop jumping up on things she likes.....mmmmm....not really. Cats like to be up high, you could increase the amount of vertical space you have in your home, scratching posts, window perches, etc. That might deter them from being places where they're not supposed to be, but cats will be cats, mine still get up on my kitchen cabinets and on top of the fridge, just make sure to move your valuables out of the way.

Good Luck and take care!
Kerry
Thankyou Kerrie for your suggestions, I will certainly give them a try.
Since I posted she has discovered she can jump up to the cupboard above the fridge. She makes it look so easy, just a quick spring from the counter & she's up. I wondered how she got down, this morning I saw her jump from the top to the floor in one go, bypassing the kitchen counter.
 

catpsych

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Jun 14, 2007
Messages
75
Purraise
5
Location
Tallahassee, Florida USA
Great idea! You can also push your hand toward her when she grips onto you, cats or any animals for that matter are not used to prey coming towards them, they will release their grip only for a moment when you push in toward their mouth, that is your opportunity to remove your hand ASAP!


Originally Posted by Kalikat

Thankyou for the suggestions, she was desexed at 5 mths. I have some of the toys you mention, so will make more time to play with her.
 
Top