Too Soon To Leave?

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got a kitten yesterday afternoon. Is it too soon to leave her by herself for an hour and a half to 2 hours tops this afternoon? I have been wondering this all morning and going back and forth. Many things come to mind such as the kitten could hurt herself, etc. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is almost 11 weeks old. My first thought was in the bathroom, but there is a larger window right under the bathtub with a sill that I am terrified she will hurt herself on. The other thought was one of the bedrooms upstairs with the door shut. The bedroom may be the better option. I am just wondering if she will do ok alone...as in mentally.

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
HAHA I meant over the bathtub...

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She will be fine mentally. You just need to make sure she is in a room that is safe. You don't watch her all the time when you are home, either. She'll be fine if you take reasonable precautions!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would not leave a kitten alone outside of a safe room by herself, especially not one that has only been in your home for less than a few days. Even if you kitten-proof the house top to bottom, a kitten is going to find something to get into / eat / knock over / damage / etc. Kittens can find their way into heating vents, gaps in the wall, etc. Not to mention the kitten has no idea of the home layout and will not be able to find her way around. You may end up with a bathroom accident because the kitten will just go when she has to.

A kitten is fine in a bathroom as long as she has everything she needs and you check in on her often. Keep the toilet seat down, close up the bathtub and sink drains, put all your personal hygiene stuff and gadgets (hair dryer, etc) behind closed doors. If there is no window, leave the bathroom light on or a night light on. Place a large box on its side for the kitten to hide in when she wants darkness for sleeping.

An extra bedroom is another option as long as you kitten-proof it. No electrical cords, dangling blinds / window treatment cords, vacuum the floor to remove any stuff a kitten may try to eat (my Aby eats dust bunnies :doh:), etc. If the window needs to be opened, only open it a crack to prevent a kitten from squeezing under and possibly falling out or getting injured by a heavy faulty sash.

Some kittens warm up to their new home quickly while others may need time. Go at your kitten's pace and don't rush it.

You may find these helpful:

Bringing Home a New Cat - The Complete Guide
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home
Cats and Hidden Dangers In the Home

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the answers and not being condescending! I really truly want to do what is best for the cat. I will set her up in the bathroom as on second look the bedroom has way too many wires in it. Thanks!

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sad story.

Years ago a good friend of mine had his new kitten drown in a bathtub. There wasnt much water in the tub, but he had drapes soaking in the tub. Unfortunately the kitten got trapped under the drapes.

So.......double and tripple and quadruple check.

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As a trial run, my husband and I went down the street to get her some more toys. She did perfectly fine! Thanks for the advice! She will not be alone for more than 2 hours to start and we plan getting her to play before we leave. Thanks!

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As a trial run, my husband and I went down the street to get her some more toys. She did perfectly fine! Thanks for the advice! She will not be alone for more than 2 hours to start and we plan getting her to play before we leave. Thanks!
Good plan! Get her tired out and she can have a nice kittennap while you're gone. :zzzcat: :lol:

Margret

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got our kitten at 7 weeks (we didn't know she that young at the time) we both work and we had no choice but to leave her. We never have kitten or bathroom open when she is alone and we have spied on her in occasions and we leave the house she sleeps in her basket. They are not silly so as long as you leave clean litter, food and water they are fine for few hours

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She was asleep in the laundry basket when we got home :)

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Less than three months old, only one day in your house, and already she's figured out the best place to sleep! She's a feline prodigy!
:einstein::cutecat:

You do know you're going to have to post pictures, right?

Margret

jessicac05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She didn't greet us when we came in as she was asleep but will greet us if we enter the room she is in. So adorable!

daisyd

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes when we are both out and come in the same time she greets us laid on her back.