Too sick for dental work?

carrielynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My semi-feral kitty Pumpkin has not been herself. She no longer plays, she doesn't eat much, and she won't come up to the house anymore. Her fur looks all disheveled like she does not groom as much, and she is shedding a lot. Also, I watched her go last night, and it was just a bit of diarrhea.

background info:

Pumpkin is 5 years old, spayed, up to date on vaccinations, FeLV/FIV negative, dewormed, on flea prevention. Eats quality wet food. Always healthy at annual examinations until now.

I took her to the vet a few days ago, who said her gums are inflamed and she needs dental work, which is probably why she has been a really picky eater and does not eat as much. The vet did blood work to determine if she is healthy enough for anesthesia, then concluded she was not. 

the blood work found:

dehydration (vet gave subcutaneous fluids for this)

high allergic response (Pumpkin scratches her head/face a lot)

low potassium

The vet thought it may just be the heat affecting her and encouraged me to call and schedule a dental when she feels better. However, I still don't know for sure what the problem is. I suspect her mouth is the reason for the decreased appetite, but I feel she needs to eat more to get better. I'm not sure what to do here. The positive thing is she does still come up to ask for food a few times a day, but she takes a few bites then loses interest. I am having some Fortiflora delivered on Monday to put on her food so she will hopefully eat more and have firmer stools. I was hoping to not have to make a return visit before the dental since she has to be trapped and it is a long and traumatic ride there, plus I'm scared I will not be able to afford the dental work if I keep racking up vet bils - it's been a hard month already with multiple visits for my FeLV+ indoor kitty.

It could be that she is upset about a new feral I TNR'd.. He has been taking over her territory, and he jumps on her to try to play, and she gets very scared. I am wondering if this is all psychological, as in the past she has taken these kinds of things very hard. She seems depressed to me.

I feel there are a lot of factors here, and I don't know what to think. The vet did not have a definite answer. Any thoughts on what I can do to make her feel better? And if I should try to just proceed with the dental she so badly needs? This all feels like a nightmare. I just want to see my baby running around again someday. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it were me, I'd push for the dental - if necessary keeping her inpatient or caged at home for a couple of days beforehand to get her hydration etc right prior to surgery. She's going to feel more and more vulnerable to the newcomer whilst she's not feeling well. I can only think that things will deteriorate the longer you leave it.

You could try watering the food down to a lappable consistency for her - that alone might be enough to get her eating again.

It really does sound like she doesn't deal with newcomers at all well, and that really won't be helping the situation. My instinct would be to try to tame her - she really does sound like she'd be happier in a home, given that she's so wary of other cats. However, I do see that that's not really an option with your FeLV indoor guy.

I'm sorry I can't be more help. I really hope you can find a way through this
:vibes: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrielynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I think I will try to get inpatient care for her if needed before the dental. She is actually improving tonight! She ate most of her food and was rubbing against me, tail up. I got her to play a little bit. She still has a look on her face like she feels bad, and she has gone back into hiding now, but I'm hoping to see the positive signs again in the morning.