Too Much Wet Food Per Day?

Bmarco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two, one year old cats. Both indoor/outdoor. Lived well on dry food until the male got a terrible (AND EXPENSIVE) blockage and had to be put on Purina Pro Plan wet food. Now the other eats only wet food and is eating that (because I cannot separate them) so it's become quite expensive.

As I said, they both go in and out of the house, so they are active. They are now eating the 5.5 oz cans (each get one in the morning and one at night) - so EACH eats 11oz. per day.

Way too much?

Pjg8r

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don’t think so for one year olds that go outside. Tyler and Alex are 15 months. Indie is 9 months. They are strictly indoor cats and eat between 9 and 11 ounces a day. Some days Indie gets an additional few ounces since she’s still officially a kitten.

carebearbaby1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The Purnia Pro Plan website says 1 5.5oz can per 6lbs daily. Being very active cats they may need a little extra, so if your cats weigh 8lbs or more the amount they're eating now is fine. If you see them gaining too much, cut back on the food some.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
Depends on the calorie levels in the food and how big your cats are. The guideline is 20-25 kcal per day depending on activity level. A dense pate can have 200 kcal per 5.5 oz can which is probably too much, but a stew food like I think your Purina is more like 140 kcal / can might be ok if you have very active and maybe larger cats.

Be careful of the Purina guidelines, pretty much all pet food labels overestimate the amount of calories needed.

Erin80

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My 7 month old eats 9-11oz a day, my 4 month old eats 8-9 oz a day. They are indoor only but active. He’s just over 7lbs and she’s 5lbs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Take a look at Walmart, Tractor supply (regular store and online) and local grocery stores - these have canned foods that are decent and not expensive. You could do a rotational menu so that the cost is a little less.

Also, here's an adult cat body chart - your kitties are close to being fully grown unless they're a big breed. If so, they need to be fed as much as they'll consume for longer.
https://www.pvahosp.com/sites/site-1526/images/Body_Scoring_System-Chart Cat.jpg

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't afford to feed both the boys canned food. They required more than 1 5.5 oz can per day, so I ended up making my own food after I did a bunch of research. Now I'm about $109 a month because Tom eats much more than Stew. I decided to do an additional feeding for him during the day with rehydrated Stella and Chewy. They are both indoor cats, and Tom eats over 7 oz a day. Stewart eat almost half what Tom does, but Stewart doesn't do parkour through the house.